Join Early Retirement Today

Spring Break trip to South Carolina.........
Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spring Break trip to South Carolina.........

April 10th-19th is my kid's Spring Break time. We are looking to roadtrip to SC to see my uncle and aunt then. He lives in Greenville. Is mid April a good time to go? We are planning to go see Charleston and drive part of the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountain trails.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds wonderful, FD, we took a similar trip one June while living in your neck of the woods. Smokies are beautiful and it is a nice drive; April would be a terrific time to get away after the long winter; June was a little too warm for my taste.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Mid-April will probably bring you the most moderate weather in the mtns and in coastal SC. That time of year plus October are usually rather moderate in the mountain and coastal areas of NC and SC (of course it may get chilly at night in the mtns at that time of year). Expect rather cold water in the ocean in Charleston at that time of year (if you plan any water activities). At least hurricanes won't be an issue hopefully.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Yes, Mid-April will probably bring you the most moderate weather in the mtns and in coastal SC. That time of year plus October are usually rather moderate in the mountain and coastal areas of NC and SC (of course it may get chilly at night in the mtns at that time of year). Expect rather cold water in the ocean in Charleston at that time of year (if you plan any water activities). At least hurricanes won't be an issue hopefully.
No swimming in the ocean planned, but ya never know.......

Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That is the superior time to be in Charleston, FD. Be sure to get your reservations in early. The flowers and such are magnificent!

Also, if you are planning your route and can take Hwy 17 South from Myrtle Beach, you should try to stop at Brookgreen Gardens near Pawleys Island--it will be stunning that time of year and is seriously the best thing to see in our whole state! Here's a couple of pictures I took in April two years ago there. It is a huge property with statuary and elaborate gardens plus a huge wildlife area sure to please the kids. It is really unbelievably beautiful.

Let me know what days you are in Charleston and we'll see about going out in the boat for a harbor ride. You can swim, but it'll be cold!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brookgreen.JPG (671.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Brookgreen1.JPG (817.1 KB, 1 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
No swimming in the ocean planned, but ya never know.......
It would be like a nice brisk polar bear swim in mid April.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That is the superior time to be in Charleston, FD. Be sure to get your reservations in early. The flowers and such are magnificent!
We are driving, and staying with my aunt and uncle. What reservations do I need?? :confused:

Quote:
Also, if you are planning your route and can take Hwy 17 South from Myrtle Beach, you should try to stop at Brookgreen Gardens near Pawleys Island--it will be stunning that time of year and is seriously the best thing to see in our whole state! Here's a couple of pictures I took in April two years ago there. It is a huge property with statuary and elaborate gardens plus a huge wildlife area sure to please the kids. It is really unbelievably beautiful.
Looks nice......

L
Quote:
et me know what days you are in Charleston and we'll see about going out in the boat for a harbor ride. You can swim, but it'll be cold!
Ever swim in lake Michigan? Only about 2 months out of the year is the water over 50 degrees........

Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If I were staying with family that long, I'd have plenty of reservations!
I really just meant if you had a special restaurant you want to get into downtown, that you should call them ahead since that is primo tourista season.
Yeah, come on and swim then, we'll think you are a Canadian!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'll be on the Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service) in about 10 days. doing the sections i missed last year. then doing Shenandoah National Park - Driving Skyline Drive (U.S. National Park Service) before heading up to jersey/nyc.

newfound gap road through the great smoky mountains from gatlinburg to cherokee is like driving through the quintessential enchanted forest, really beautiful. near cherokee you can pick up the blue ridge section that i'll be doing this year. the views will take your breath away. they are so big that they don't even fit in the camera. my last time though it was so cloudy up top that i had to come back down as i couldn't see a thing. was very fun driving through clouds but it got tiring. that southern section has the highest elevations on the entire parkway, i think rising to about 7k feet. yer gonna love it.

ps. allow for time when driving there. what looks like just 40 miles on a map is a lot longer at slow speeds on very windy roads with frequent stops to take in the views.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It would be like a nice brisk polar bear swim in mid April.
And good prep for the wet T-shirt contest.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
April 10th-19th is my kid's Spring Break time. We are looking to roadtrip to SC to see my uncle and aunt then.
We did a similar trip last spring...... Hit Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. We wanted to catch a lot of Appalacian music and we were very successful. Weather was great too.

About the only negative was that the pollen count was through the roof. At times, all those pretty blooming plants, bushes and tress were giving off pollen in such volume you could actually see clouds of it blowing around. I used a lot of Astelin and Claritin!