Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

St Louis Pear Tree Inn by Union Station
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

St Louis Pear Tree Inn by Union Station

Looking at a weekend at St Louis. Was trying not to have to drive around and I see the Pear Tree Inn is a few blocks from the union station where we could catch the trolley to the Arch and City Museum. Is it safe to walk from the Pear Tree 2211 Market St to the Union Station? It should all be in the daytime. Will be with grandson. Any information would be appreciated.
Steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know that area in St Louis, but I am a huge fan of Drury Inn. I suspect you will be fine at the Pear Tree Inn, but there is a Drury Inn very near Union Station. While staying at a Drury Inn in another area of St Louis earlier this week, I overheard the manager saying "Our guests are very respectful, but they have some real characters at the Pear Tree Inn". Hope you and your grandson have a great time.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Daytime you are fine. 1/4 mile walk, wide open, most everyone driving on Market St. in that area is just going to/from work and really nothing in that stretch that that would attract unscrupulous characters to hang around. Walk along Market St., don't start to wander to streets to the north. You mentioned City Museum - an awesome fun place, but that is one area to be very aware of your surroundings when outside.
mv520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies. bhoferp since your reply I did check out the Drury Inn and for a little more I am closer to the trolley and looks like a bigger pool. Have to pay parking $7 but not a big deal.
mv520 Looking at the trolley map it looks like there is a drop off right at the city museum. Always been a small town boy (65) so get a little nervous in big cities. Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve s View Post
Thanks for the replies. bhoferp since your reply I did check out the Drury Inn and for a little more I am closer to the trolley and looks like a bigger pool. Have to pay parking $7 but not a big deal.
mv520 Looking at the trolley map it looks like there is a drop off right at the city museum. Always been a small town boy (65) so get a little nervous in big cities. Thanks
And, Drury Inns include great breakfasts and happy hours (actually can substitute for dinners)!
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
And, Drury Inns include great breakfasts and happy hours (actually can substitute for dinners)!
One more vote for Drury Inns. Great evening happy hour with food and breakfast at no charge. This alone is worth 25-35.00 and makes the room charge more reasonable.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 02-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

Suggestion-tickets to the arch can sell out. If you know for sure what time you might go, buy at least the day before if possible. Best to not buy too far ahead, since weather might impact the view a little.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks MooreBonds I did check their site and will get tickets ahead of time. I am presently waiting for a reply from city museum tripadvisor to see how close the city trolley goes to the museum. Looking at the map it looks pretty close otherwise metrolink.
But city trolley is only $2 for all day for both the arch and museum. thanks again
Old 02-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you will really enjoy the Drury Inn. This is a thread I saved from a few years ago about getting around St Louis via public transportation. Not sure how accurate it would be today, but may give you some ideas.

St. Louis, Missouri (STL) - Midwest - Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

I'm obviously not good at posting a link, but maybe you can copy and paste.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #11

Steve,

Let us know how you like it, along with any tips and advice. I hope you and your grandson have a great time.

DH and I are booked at the Union Station Drury Inn for a Bruins-Blues game in March.

We stayed at a Drury Inn in San Antonio a few years ago were very happy with it. I think you are making a solidly good choice.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:01 AM   #12

If you have a car definitely consider driving to:
1)Forest Park - lots of free parking near attractions including Free Admission Zoo, Science Center, History Museum. (And Art Museum but maybe not something your grandson would enjoy)
2)Botanical Garden
3)Basilica- yes even your grandson may find it cool. And won't talk a lot of time, is free admission. Impressive place
4) Downtown consider eating at Sugarfire BBQ (near the convention center so near the trolley stops)
5)lots of other places to eat unique St louis stuff (frozen custard, other BBQ places, sandwich places,Toasted Ravioli, unique St Louis pizza -not everyone is a fan-)
6)Don't forget to visit Union Station itself - check out the "whispering arches" and laser light show on the ceiling of the Great Hall every hour after 5pm.
PM me if you want more details about anything.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #13

I have no knowledge of St. Louis or that area. But when I'm traveling someplace where we'll be doing some walking, especially in an unfamiliar urban setting, I always "go for a stroll" on Google Maps street-view first. It's pretty easy to look around and get a good feel for the area. Just be sure to look all around including up the side streets. Besides safety concerns, I like to familiarize myself with the lay of the land... sidewalks, traffic, intersections. Uber and Lyft and great options for getting around as well.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #14

+1 for the basilica. One of the most impressive churches I've seen in the country. Google it online to see the mosaics inside

+1 for the botanic gardens too.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Cobra9777 thanks for sug. on google map.
Walkinwood and urn2bfree If it was just the wife and I then we could spend several days there but the daughter and grandson only have the one full day and the ladies are spending it at the PGA. Bonding time for grandson and I. City Museum and Arch then swim swim swim at the hotel! Would have liked to include Forest Park will have to see how quick we need to get home. Thanks again everyone didn't expect so many replies. Appreciate.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #16

No worries, Steve S-- come back again, some time. St Louis is a very affordable getaway....
totally understand your plans- and what you have planned is plenty...

You still need to eat...lots of good places downtown with kid including Sugarfire, which I mentioned previously, or across the street from it, Porano Pasta (kind of a Chipotle for Pasta fast casual concept), Bailey's Range (burgers), Medina (gyros, shwarma and near City museum- I see a lot of City museum wristband wearers in there) Sauce on the Side (calzones), Gioia's Deli,(closed weekends?) and Food trucks parked around the fun outdoor sculpture garden-City Garden right on Market Street around 9th...
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote