Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sarah's in Wiscasset is one of my favorite places to eat in all my long life.
We used to make a point of stopping at Sarah's many years ago for their soup and bread bar- typically at least 3 soups and 10 different kinds of bread. Then they moved across the street, maybe new ownership?, and it just wasn't as good.
sturbridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have been to Maine 2 times now, but we flew into Portland and drove north from there. 2nd time we also stayed couple nights in NH and loved every minute of it. Portland worked great for us as a hub for day trips so not too much time in the car. Also if my memory is correct, not far from border with Canada, and we spent 2 or 3 days on Canadian coast. Great summer trip. Got me thinking of next July/Aug now.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #23

My son lived there for a while, and getting there wasn't easy, but it was sure worth it.

As others have said, Acadia is a must see. Go during the week (now that school is back in, it may be better), get on the road early and take some food and drinks. A picnic is essential, weather permitting. If you're early birds, you can get to Cadillac Mountain early and see the sun rise. OMG!!!!

Maine is one of the most beautiful states we have. Let us know how it goes.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #24

Just an FYI, any tips more than a few years old should be taken with a grain of salt. Traffic is brutal on weekends now, crawling all the way from Boston to Portland (and back.) Prices in many of the tourist destinations have shot way up. Development and condos have overrun the waterfront in many places. Portsmouth (NH) and Portland are not the towns they once were.

I haven't checked campgrounds in years, but even back then reservations were usually required. On Mount Desert Island, sometimes 6 months or a year in advance. Outside the tourist hot spots it's probably easier to wing it.

And don't bother asking Wayz for an alternate route. Everyone does that, and now the back roads are all stopped on weekends, too.

Sorry, not trying to discourage anyone. Most of Maine is still beautiful. Just want to calibrate expectations.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the weather app: https://weatherspark.com/y/26942/Ave...tes-Year-Round

It looks like early September is a good bet for weather. Does this sound right to others? Any insects particularly bad at this time of year? Other gotcha's?

I'm taking notes for next year. Good thread here.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:10 AM   #26

September is great weather. Far fewer bugs. You get into foliage season in some of the higher elevations. No so great out on the water, as the North winds pick up and it can get rough. Sailors going South do get wisked along, though.

Biggest gotcha is that after the families with kids leave, the retired folks in campers take over. You think regular tourist traffic is bad? Try the same thing, only with geriatric drivers in big rigs! Stay away from the areas with lots of antique dealers along Route One if you want to get out with your sanity intact.

It can get pretty chilly at night. I'm here at almost sea level, and it's 60 degrees out as I write this. Probably cooler up in the mountains.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Just an FYI, any tips more than a few years old should be taken with a grain of salt.
I absolutely agree with this. Many of us are remembering what it was like ten years ago, and that changed a lot over the intervening years. Coastal traffic is generally pretty horrible in the tourist season.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Though some exploring is desirable, I’d be content to look at the scenery, eat the seafood, and wander some shops. Don’t really want to spend much time in a car...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Gumby's list is a very good one. You won't go wrong if you use this as part of your itinerary.

Driving to the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park to see the sunrise is a favorite. Within Acadia NP, go to see Jordan Pond and stop at the Jordan Pond House for lunch. The popovers are a must.

If you spend any time in Portland, a nice day trip is to take the ferry over to Peak's Island, rent bikes right down the street from the pier and ride your bike around the island. Pack a picnic lunch and stop on the rocks on the back side of the island and soak up the beautiful views of the Atlantic.

Portland Maine was just just named Bon Appetit's Restaurant City of the year. If you like good food, stop at any restaurant in the Old Port and you will get a fabulous meal by some of the best chefs in the country.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/por...-the-year-2018

The Portland Head Light (actually across the town line in Cape Elizabeth is the country's most photographed light house. It's a quick drive from Portland and has beautiful scenery. If you go there, a few more miles down the road and you can stop at The Lobster Shack for lunch which is a small little shack with epic views of the Atlantic.

The Lobster Shack – Open March 31st – October 28th 2018

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need other ideas.

rasberrycpa
rasberrycpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:59 AM   #30

Raspberry's got some good tips there. The ferry to Peak's is great. Make sure you make it to the far (ocean) side. There's a cool little cobble beach and good views. There's also a "mail boat" ferry itinerary which will take you all around Casco Bay, if you want to see more.

Drive to the far end of Harpswell Neck and check out Dolphin Marina and Restaurant. Great food, not overpriced, and incredible service.

As for traffic, it's been bizarrely light this holiday weekend. Even our favorite restaurant was half empty Friday night. The theory around here is that many schools started early this year. But it's a nice reprieve. The Maine Turnpike Authority was predicting record numbers.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

When in Bar Harbor if you don't want to drive everywhere (Or pay for a car pass to get into Acadia) use the free shuttle. It's pretty good and it goes to all of the attractions in the Acadia and to other parts of Mount Desert Island that you may not have thought about going to.
Filetmerlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #32

When DW and I went a few years ago the best advice we got was to find out which day the cruise ships were in town and be on the other side of the island that day.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote