Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Big Nick,

Good info! Interesting how tipping is so different from country to country.

So, since tax and tip is included, I think I'll go ahead and have the pig liver!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Big Nick,

Good info! Interesting how tipping is so different from country to country.

So, since tax and tip is included, I think I'll go ahead and have the pig liver!
With a side order of cow udder!

Thanks all; great input so far!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
With a side order of cow udder!
I didn't mean to sound that negative about Bavarian food in my OP. The meat was good; we just ate a little bit too much of it and got sick of it. The portions are also quite large. The sheer variety of sausages is just mind boggling. After a while, I stopped looking up what part of what animal each sausage was made of. Salzburg and Vienna have some awesome food with great variety. And it can't be overstated: Pastries in Austria!

Switzerland was very expensive both times we went there, even though the first time was when the CHF was relatively weak against the USD. BTW, I messed up the name of the train, it should be the "Golden Pass" train, not the "Golden Circle". We took it from Lucerne to Geneva. The trains tops in Interlaken where you can take a train to Jungfraujoch (the "top of Europe"), but the weather was bad so we didn't go up.

Oh and yes, that menu was from a restaurant in Munich, so it was in Euros.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
I didn't mean to sound that negative about Bavarian food in my OP. The meat was good; we just ate a little bit too much of it and got sick of it. The portions are also quite large. The sheer variety of sausages is just mind boggling. After a while, I stopped looking up what part of what animal each sausage was made of. Salzburg and Vienna have some awesome food with great variety. And it can't be overstated: Pastries in Austria!

Switzerland was very expensive both times we went there, even though the first time was when the CHF was relatively weak against the USD. BTW, I messed up the name of the train, it should be the "Golden Pass" train, not the "Golden Circle". We took it from Lucerne to Geneva. The trains tops in Interlaken where you can take a train to Jungfraujoch (the "top of Europe"), but the weather was bad so we didn't go up.

Oh and yes, that menu was from a restaurant in Munich, so it was in Euros.
Trying to be humorous... I happen to like sausage, and being an ol' country boy, I know from where it originates.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, Lake Constance is beautiful. It is also very cold. I have been canoeing on it, and swimming in it, from the German side. I spend a lot of time in Zurich and Lausanne, and definitely prefer Lausanne, but Zurich is worth a visit if you are in the vicinity of Lake Constance.

R
Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #26

I currently live in Germany and have spent a good amount of time in Switzerland. I say it depends on what you like to do - also when you are going. PM me for more details - let me know what activities you like and I can give you some recommendations - some that will be well known and some that won't.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I currently live in Germany and have spent a good amount of time in Switzerland. I say it depends on what you like to do - also when you are going. PM me for more details - let me know what activities you like and I can give you some recommendations - some that will be well known and some that won't.
Thanks for your generous offer. I'll get back to you when I've actually had time to think about it.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Bump...

Ok, this might actually be happening, but still not sure if this year or next. I'm thinking June would be a good time to go, but DGF has familial obligations this June. Still to be decided... Any input on best month to go?

On first pass, I'm thinking of flying into Frankfurt, straight shot on AA from DFW. Then, rent a car for some/all of the Romantic Road. Possibly then Munich, and Salzburg. Maybe loop through Innsbruck, then head back toward Frankfurt.

Really would rather spend time in the countryside, and smaller towns, checking out scenery, castles and such, sampling the local beer fare, maybe doing some day hikes, or short bike rides. Wondering if a train/car mix would be better for these distances, especially if we add any/much Switzerland to the mix.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Bump...

Ok, this might actually be happening, but still not sure if this year or next. I'm thinking June would be a good time to go, but DGF has familial obligations this June. Still to be decided... Any input on best month to go?

On first pass, I'm thinking of flying into Frankfurt, straight shot on AA from DFW. Then, rent a car for some/all of the Romantic Road. Possibly then Munich, and Salzburg. Maybe loop through Innsbruck, then head back toward Frankfurt.

Really would rather spend time in the countryside, and smaller towns, checking out scenery, castles and such, sampling the local beer fare, maybe doing some day hikes, or short bike rides. Wondering if a train/car mix would be better for these distances, especially if we add any/much Switzerland to the mix.
We are going in April...work related meeting for 3 days. DW and DD will shop and sightsee, I will attend mtgs. This will be Geneva and Lausanne. It will still be very chilly in April, probably a bit of rain, lots f cloud cover, not much sun. Last year DW and I went in May...rained for a good part of the 3 days we were there.

I have been to CH in June, early, mid and late. I would take just about anytime in June rather that earlier unless you are ok with possibly numerous consecutive days of dreary weather. But, as with everything, YMMV.

Have a good time, whenever you go.

R
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #30

2nd half of May up to end of September are usually best for south Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
As school holiday season starts mid June till first week of Sept in most regions cost of accomodation will rise during that time.
You will find bike rental and quite good paths in cities as well as smaller locations. Look for "Fahrradvermietung" on german web. Electrik bikes are now getting popular, so hills will be no stopper for biking.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #31

If you're planning more than a cursory trip into Switzerland, bring money: the Swiss franc is up by about 15% on the Euro and US$ over the past year. Currently it's worth slightly more than $1. A plate of noodles and a beer in a very modest Thai resturant cost me $23 last weekend.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #32

Switzerland is very expensive right now. Best place to go is Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald. Lauterbrunnen is called the valley of 72 falls - gorgeous!!!! I also liked the Appenzell region (Eastern CH) for hiking. We visited Bern - it had one of the most amazing art museums with many paintings by Paul Klee and some of most beautiful mountain paintings by Swiss artist Hodler. There is also a zoo there with the Bern Bears. On a clear day you can see all of the Berner Oberland mountain range (which is where Interlaken is). I didn't like Geneva as much - nor Zurich. We've skied and hiked in Zermatt - a beautiful and very expensive city, but neat to have a picture next to the Matterhorn.

The German romantic road drive is nice - stop in Rothenburg and even better Dinkelsbuhl. If in Rothenburg take the walk around the wall.

Austria is nice as well - I just got back from Bad Kleinkircheim in Carinthia or Kaernten. Tirol and SudTirol are beautiful as well. We really enjoyed Hallstatt - a UNESCO site that has ruins from the pre-Celts and a beautiful lake. There is also an ice cave to visit and great hiking there.

Munich is nice - of course the Marienplatz is a must see. If you are interested, Prague isn't that much farther of a drive and another wonderful city to visit.

You are only limited by your time and interests. Note, if you are going to drive, Switzerland has a road toll which is a sticker they place on the windshield (good for a year), Czech and Austria have stickers as well, but are priced by the amount of days you will be using them (10 days minimum for Austria). Germany has free roads (for now - there are discussions about changing this).
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I can second what Deserat says about the Bernese Oberland area formed by a triangle of Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen Valley and Grindelwald. I have been going to this area every other year for the last 25 years to hike. The Lauterbrunnen Valley is one of the most beautiful valleys in the world when viewed from the mountain village of Wengen where I stay.

Hiking is not mountain climbing in Switzerland. It is more of a walk through the mountains on very well marked paths. Stick with using a rental car for flexibility.

lauterbrunnen valley - Google Search
Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #34

Interlaken is where I had my $23 noodles and beer, between two days skiing in the Grindelwald/Wengen area. The scenery is sky-high too...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Interlaken is where I had my $23 noodles and beer, between two days skiing in the Grindelwald/Wengen area. The scenery is sky-high too...
I am so jealous. Just don't tell me you skied down to Brandegg and had goulash soup, apple fritters mit vanilla sauce. <sigh>

Google Image Result for http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4369347065_7e738a8ef3.jpg
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #36

One other thing - northern Europe shuts down in August and goes on vacation - to southern Europe or elsewhere - it's a b!tch to get anything done in August, so don't come here in August.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Great input from all! Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
One other thing - northern Europe shuts down in August and goes on vacation - to southern Europe or elsewhere - it's a b!tch to get anything done in August, so don't come here in August.
Bridget,
but he would be going for vacations and not for running errands?
All the tourist attractions (and natural wonders ) are open and in full swing.
Who cares, if you can't get some bureaucracy done during "cucumber season"?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

The best season to visit this part of the world (IMO) is May 15 - June 30. July and August are often too hot for me unless I spend time at higher elevations.

Unfortunately, I usually visit my folks in Geneva during the winter when it is cold, overcast and dreary for months on end. When I get to go in late spring, it's a real treat.