Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

T-Mobile Coverage in Rural Areas
Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

T-Mobile Coverage in Rural Areas

After 25 plus years the spousal unit and I are considering abandoning Verizon for cell phone coverage in favor of T-Mobile's $60.00 a month plan for folks over 55 years old. Our understanding is that this is for unlimited talk, text and data and includes all taxes and fees. It is less than half of what we are currently paying Verizon for a plan with data limits.

Our concern is that we retired last year and we plan to travel more in 2018 and coming years. We usually use Google Maps on our phones for travel and we are concerned that we will have spotty coverage whilst navigating. I do think that once your route is recognized on your phone you are OK but our concern is that getting that route initially recognized might be more problematic with T-Mobile.

Thanks in advance to any T-Mobile customers who would be willing to share your experiences.
Bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a T Mobile user but I live in a rural area with spotty coverage. As you say, when a route is plotted, you don't lose it, but if there is an accident ahead that prompts a re-route, you won't get that if you don't have coverage. Also, what happens if you break down? Or decide you want to find a place to eat? Or you are expecting or need to make an important call?

I'd look at a coverage map and get the best coverage you can if you travel a lot, in the areas you are likely to travel. I just looked, and while T Mobile isn't the best in the country, it actually is really good in my area. I'm going to look into this. It occurred to me that Google Fi uses T-Mobile, and when I search the coverage map for that it is a lot more sparse in my area, including not being covered at my house. So either the Google Fi map is not up to date, or T-Mobile is making bigger claims than it should.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We use wifi calling at home which T-Mobile supports very well. All cellular coverage is poor where we live.

We travel a lot in Europe. T-Mobile coverage really shines over there.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP, I am also considering the T Mobile plan you mentioned and have researched coverage. From what I can tell, TM has increased their coverage extensively over the last 3 or 4 years. They seem to be approaching or equal to ATT coverage. However, TM nor ATT are as broad as Verizon. I am currently with an ATT carrier, Cricket. If I could get coverage close to what I have I would be happy to change. I do not need Verizon level coverage. If you have not seen it, this page at TM compares coverage maps from the various carriers.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We have used the services of Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular. While all work well in urban areas, Verizon is by far the best when you're out in the boonies.

We currently use Total Wireless. They run on the Verizon network and you get two lines with unlimited talk & text plus 15 Gigs of 4G data to share for $60 per month, no contract. If you sign up for autobilling on a credit card it drops to $57 per month. We're happy with the price & service.

Edit to add: With taxes the $57.00 becomes $63.43 per month.
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have signed with T-Mobile twice (a few years apart) based on believing their coverage maps and in both cases found that they were lying. In both cases when I called within a few days to cancel service they refused to credit my account, so in both cases I had to dispute the charge with the card company in order to get my money back. For me it is more an issue of company integrity than anything else. YMMV, of course, but I will never again consider them as a carrier.

We are on Project FI, which uses multiple carriers: Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular. It seems in theory that this should produce better US coverage but we do not travel much in the US so I have no personal experience. We use a minimal amount of data and our bill for two phones totals about $45/month. The phones with unlimited calls and texts are $35 total/month. Some months my data bill (at $10/gig) is under a dollar. IIRC about $7.50/month of the $45 is taxes.

The real attraction for us is that the phones work all over the world/lke 140 countries. Data is $10/gig everywhere and in many of them calls are free. In others there is a nominal charge like a dime or twenty cents per minute. I suppose it depends on what they can negotiate with the local carriers. We usually use AirBnB and it is imperative to have a phone to contact hosts. Previously we had to buy SIM cards for each country; a royal pain.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We use wifi calling at home which T-Mobile supports very well. All cellular coverage is poor where we live.

We travel a lot in Europe. T-Mobile coverage really shines over there.
+1
We live in rural Eastern WA and there are weak links when you travel off the primary highways. For example, Interstate 90 across the state has no issues but State Highway 26 has gaps between some cities. Generally, the loss of services is limited to less than 30 minutes.
When we were in China last year, we had great service even on the Yangtze River away from the big cities.
We love the free text and roaming when we travel internationally.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

I used to have T-Mobile. I switched to Verizon so I would have better coverage while traveling.

In the past I have had Sprint, Virgin Mobile, Walmart Family Mobile (powered by T-Mobile), and T-Mobile.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have had T-Mobile for 10 years and when we go to an area that loses coverage, it is usually that all providers have the same issue. We did this yesterday and I went into a store and asked and they said it was all cell companies that have the problem. We were traveling though "Podunk" Florida. They said the dead zone was a 30 mile radius from the store. So we bought some chips and went on our way.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Another option is Cricket which uses the AT&T network. You can get two lines with 5GB monthly data per line for $65/mo or unlimited data for $80/mo.

We switched from Verizon (prepaid) to Cricket for improved coverage in western TX.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
gone traveling

T Mobil had poor and very slow coverage for me right in the middle of the city, dumped them after 1 month and went with cricket, much better, actually very good
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

As a long-time AT&T user, I switched to T-Mobile (the $60 "55+" plan) last August. DW's phone had been on an AT&T Pay-As-You-Go plan (she almost never uses it) that was cheap but had poor coverage and no data. Now we both have unlimited phone/text/data AND free international coverage (which I used extensively this past fall and it worked brilliantly.) So far I have not detected any significant coverage differences between T-M and AT&T (I have never been a Verizon customer.)

Yes, T-Mobile has greatly expanded their coverage recently, though to get the best coverage only certain phones currently have the required band (not mine.)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #13

I'm kind of new to T-Mobile (just about a year), but I love them. So far I've had great coverage all over New England, the Midwest, and even the rural Colorado mountains. Also perfect coverage in several parts of Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, and Ecuador. Haven't hit a blank spot yet, so for my travels it's wonderful.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You cannot beat the "T" deal, 25gb worked all over Canada and Mexico with no overages or extra costs. $60 for both our T8's
Old 02-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #15

We travel in/out of USA. In our recent drive from CT to WA, coverage seem to be OK for us. With our family plan, 4 adults are not looking to change right now. We also like our fee.

As others have said, the international program has been great.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another option is Cricket which uses the AT&T network. You can get two lines with 5GB monthly data per line for $65/mo or unlimited data for $80/mo.

We switched from Verizon (prepaid) to Cricket for improved coverage in western TX.

Switched to Cricket a month ago from ATT. I’m saving $90/month. No issues at all. I love it. Still trying to find the downside but nothing yet. Why didn’t I do this so much sooner? Wasn’t paying attention.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post

Our concern is that we retired last year and we plan to travel more in 2018 and coming years. We usually use Google Maps on our phones for travel and we are concerned that we will have spotty coverage whilst navigating. I do think that once your route is recognized on your phone you are OK but our concern is that getting that route initially recognized might be more problematic with T-Mobile.
Why not just bring along a GPS (lower cost Garmin unit maybe) for those few times where coverage is spotty. I've had mine about 10 years and it's still good as roads don't change that often. When you get to your accommodations you'll generally have wifi.

Most of the time T-Mobil is fine for us. They also allow a very modest amount of roaming with other carriers, good for emergencies.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Why not just bring along a GPS (lower cost Garmin unit maybe) for those few times where coverage is spotty. I've had mine about 10 years and it's still good as roads don't change that often. When you get to your accommodations you'll generally have wifi.

Most of the time T-Mobil is fine for us. They also allow a very modest amount of roaming with other carriers, good for emergencies.
I never knew one could make phone calls on a Garmin.......
Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I never knew one could make phone calls on a Garmin.......
You can always try.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
You can always try.
LOL.... My last 4 cars have all had a SatNav in them. I do notice that it still works in areas where the phone does not.