Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't forget SAS Shoes (San Antonio Shoes) These are my favorite shoes. I don't think SAS makes cowboy boots which are my first preference.

Paris Hatters specializes in custom fitted cowboy hats. Authentic cowboy hats (felt) are stiff and heavy. If the hat is not fitted properly, it is very uncomfortable and will not stay on your head.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDuo View Post
Those recluse spiders are something I will need to stress on the wife. She is prone to spider bites. She finds them when the spider is upset all the time. I think I have had two spider bites all my life and her well I cant count them. Good golly am I gonna have fun in Texas. I had better bring stomping shoes.
I know you're kidding, but unless you're off the beaten track, you have little to worry about unless you inadvertently threaten or corner them. The bugs, reptiles & other critters are way more afraid of you than vice versa...they'll avoid you if at all possible.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Don't forget SAS Shoes (San Antonio Shoes) These are my favorite shoes. I don't think SAS makes cowboy boots which are my first preference.
+1

No western boots but great shoes. The $0.10 popcorn, peanuts and soft drinks at their factory store are nice, as are all the vintage and antique cars.

Unrelated story: After leaving the military I worked in the building adjoining the SAS factory for three years. I didn't know the factory store existed until 20 years later. Tunnel-visioned workaholic is my only excuse...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I know you're kidding, but unless you're off the beaten track, you have little to worry about unless you inadvertently threaten or corner them. The bugs, reptiles & other critters are way more afraid of you than vice versa...they'll avoid you if at all possible.

BTW, it just dawned on me. You might enjoy a visit to Golfsmith, just north of San Antonio. My Dad loved the place.

We often fly into Austin when we're going to SA because it's cheaper, Golfsmith would be on the way...FWIW
I know I will enjoy it. The wife will go I am sure. We are taking MIL so she will have to tag along as well. I will look it up.

Yes I was kidding about worrying about spiders. But I wasnt kidding about the wife and her spider bites. She has had a couple that have been pretty bad. She also is very alergic to poison ivy. For her all she needs to do is see it and she breaks out. She has had to go to the hospital. Yikes!!
GolfingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

No western boots but great shoes. The $0.10 popcorn, peanuts and soft drinks at their factory store are nice, as are all the vintage and antique cars.

Unrelated story: After leaving the military I worked in the building adjoining the SAS factory for three years. I didn't know the factory store existed until 20 years later. Tunnel-visioned workaholic is my only excuse...

I want to avoid the shoe store. It can wait until I get there to live. Already I will have to higher an additional truck just for shoes! Tough being married to a beautiful woman, have her mom live with us and raise a daughter. I have a room just for shoes in the house.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know I will enjoy it. The wife will go I am sure. We are taking MIL so she will have to tag along as well. I will look it up.
On second thought, the big Golfsmith I was thinking of is basically in Austin (further from SA than I remembered). There's a Golfsmith in SA, but it's just an ordinary golf store...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post

Paris Hatters specializes in custom fitted cowboy hats. Authentic cowboy hats (felt) are stiff and heavy. If the hat is not fitted properly, it is very uncomfortable and will not stay on your head.

And there is nothing better than an Authentic Cowboy/girl hat. It will be the one thing we will splurge on while there. Eat out. Visit Sea World. See Hill Country Retreat. Golf? Maybe (crossed fingers yes). Walk the River walk and one or two more special things. Mainly it is to drive around and put miles on a rental. I dont mind doing that.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here's where I'd go (and yes it's a long list). Many of these would be great retirement options if you don't need a retirement community (like Del Webb). Personally, I'd live in the Hill Country and travel into SA, when I needed. Obviously that's a personal choice

Austin - 6th Street etc. if you want 'bigger' city nightlife/music.
New Braunfels - Nice German town.
Fredericksburg & Enchanted Rock. Wonderful, but expensive town. Wish we had my grandmother's house to sell all over again.
LBJ Ranch - I don't care what your politics are, I found the tour to be quite interesting.
Wimberley - Another nice small town. I know a few retirees here.
Kerrville - A bit bigger town, but again nice. More shopping etc. than the smaller towns.
Comfort - Closer to SA, nice place.
Boerne - Cowboy capital of Texas or something like that. Again - closer to SA.

Wineries throughout the region, if that's your thing.

I'd do a two day road trip out of SA. Boerne, Comfort, then spend the night in Fredericksburg or Kerrville. Then LBJ Ranch, Wimberley, maybe Austin and back to SA.

I'd stay off of Interstate 35 between Dallas and San Antonio. It's just awful with congestion. A side road that takes longer is easier on the nerves.

Enjoy - Wish I was going.
lark_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark_L View Post
Personally, I'd live in the Hill Country...
Sorry, we're full up - no vacancies.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yup, and the subdivisions are now popping up like it's boom times again, around SW Austin. Ack.

/we live about a mile from the Salt Lick, south of Drippin' Springs.... beautiful contryside....
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Wow and I even took a shower

Quote:
Here's where I'd go (and yes it's a long list). Many of these would be great retirement options if you don't need a retirement community (like Del Webb). Personally, I'd live in the Hill Country and travel into SA, when I needed. Obviously that's a personal choice

Austin - 6th Street etc. if you want 'bigger' city nightlife/music.
New Braunfels - Nice German town.
Fredericksburg & Enchanted Rock. Wonderful, but expensive town. Wish we had my grandmother's house to sell all over again.
LBJ Ranch - I don't care what your politics are, I found the tour to be quite interesting.
Wimberley - Another nice small town. I know a few retirees here.
Kerrville - A bit bigger town, but again nice. More shopping etc. than the smaller towns.
Comfort - Closer to SA, nice place.

Wineries throughout the region, if that's your thing.

I'd do a two day road trip out of SA. Boerne, Comfort, then spend the night in Fredericksburg or Kerrville. Then LBJ Ranch, Wimberley, maybe Austin and back to SA.

I'd stay off of Interstate 35 between Dallas and San Antonio. It's just awful with congestion. A side road that takes longer is easier on the nerves.

Enjoy - Wish I was going.
Let's start with the night life. Not interested so that will probably be out. Plus taking MIL (mother-in-law).

New Braunfels - maybe but we are focusing this trip to San Antonio and scoping out roads and neighborhoods. Probably more site seeing than anything else. When we get closer and put more energy into making TX as our new home we will go with a longer horizon to visiting and home searching. Unlike some here that think I have actually fully made up my mind on TX they should think again. I haven't.

LBJ Ranch - Is that up in Stonewall? I mapped it on Google and it tells me it is about 45 miles north of metro SA. Maybe along with a winery trip? You are right. I am not one party or the other. I will not register for either party since I hate both. Now back to LBJ I grew up with him as POTUS. It is historical. If it don't work out I know that this will not be my only trip to SA.

Wineries - Any near that ranch? Good ones that I should not miss?

I35 probably will not be on my list since I will probably stay in the SA area and north. As for the Del Webb community. We are not staying there. We will take a day pass to check it out. It sounds like a great place and it may turn out to be where we relocate to but again nothing is in stone.

Wimberly, Kerrville, Comfort and Boerne we may drive through if they are in our path.

Here is what my plan certainly will entail. I will fly into SAT and rent a nice car. Room for three and drive to the Hotel. Probably outside of SA proper and away from the downtown parking mess. One of the days will be to drive into town for Alamo and River Walk and probably that will be the day we go to Hatters. Sea World and Hill Country will probably one day. Do I dare a day at golf or do a trip to Golfsmith as Midpack suggests? That is possible so that leaves a day or two maybe. So the LBJ ranch and the wineries.

So anythoughts?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Good list, Lark, but I believe Bandera - just a few short miles west of Boerne - is the Cowboy Capital of the World.

State Highway 16 between Medina and Kerrville is my favorite drive in the Hill Country. It's just a bit far out from San Antonio to recommend to the OP, however.

Strongly consider a straw cowboy hat over felt. The felt hats seal things up pretty tight and just aren't very comfortable much of the year in central Texas.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
State Highway 16 between Medina and Kerrville is my favorite drive in the Hill Country. It's just a bit far out from San Antonio to recommend to the OP, however.
Uh, just don't take your big rig that way!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Good list, Lark, but I believe Bandera - just a few short miles west of Boerne - is the Cowboy Capital of the World.

Strongly consider a straw cowboy hat over felt. The felt hats seal things up pretty tight and just aren't very comfortable much of the year in central Texas.
Yeah the straw hat may be more practical but you need to remember there is casual cowboy and formal cowboy. I will probably look at formal since we are a few years away from full move and well we are not sure either if TX is our final retirement location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Uh, just don't take your big rig that way!

So I take it that audrey here is a trucker. Well have no fear, I will probably only be driving a nice 4 door sedan with luxury written all over it. Hell if we're gonna tour San Antonio I plan on doing it in style not some Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3. If I am outside of the downtown for the hotel that should save me money on parking.

You guys probably already have guessed that I like to plan. I like to take time to consider. I settle pretty quickly on decisions but I believe much of them are reasoned out thoughtfully. I have a feeling that it is my army training that is responsible for that.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So I take it that audrey here is a trucker. Well have no fear, I will probably only be driving a nice 4 door sedan with luxury written all over it. Hell if we're gonna tour San Antonio I plan on doing it in style not some Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3. If I am outside of the downtown for the hotel that should save me money on parking.
Not quite, LOL! Class A diesel pusher (motorhome). Best not to take any RV on that stretch of highway 16 unless it's quite small, and hope that no one else does either.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want to play cowboy, go to http://gruenehall.com/ but don't be surprised if you get funny looks for wearing a cowboy hat in other places in Texas.
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Our Texan cousin told DH that straw hats are for the summer and felt ones for the winter (and that DH should not wear either one in Texas ha ha).
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Our Texan cousin told DH that straw hats are for the summer and felt ones for the winter (and that DH should not wear either one in Texas ha ha).
I rarely see anyone other than some Texas LEOs (sheriff, hwy patrol, TX Ranger) wearing a cowboy hat here. I saw Tommy Lee Jones shopping at Lowe's a while back and he didn't have one on...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #39
gone traveling

Gee all this talk about cowboy hats. Do all y'all argue over chewing tobacco too?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #40

If you consider our conversation an argument, you may have a real challenge adjusting to the culture down here in Northern Mexico...