Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leominster
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you consider our conversation an argument, you may have a real challenge adjusting to the culture down here in Northern Mexico...

Only if we talk about jumping beans
__________________

__________________
GolfingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I rarely see anyone other than some Texas LEOs (sheriff, hwy patrol, TX Ranger) wearing a cowboy hat here. I saw Tommy Lee Jones shopping at Lowe's a while back and he didn't have one on...
Cowboy hats and huge pickup trucks everywhere down here in way south Texas, whether you speak English or Spanish.
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Cowboy hats and huge pickup trucks everywhere down here in way south Texas, whether you speak English or Spanish.
+1 for DFW, though the ones in Fort Worth may actually be cowboys. Dallas, not so much...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Cowboy hats and huge pickup trucks everywhere down here in way south Texas, whether you speak English or Spanish.
Huge pickup trucks (like the one in my driveway ) are everywhere up here in north south Texas as well - but few cowboy hats. Well, except for Rodeo Week, which ended this past Sunday.

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,589
"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 37
If you want to do LBJ and a winery tour, I'd hit the ranch (between Stonewall and Johnson City). Then on toward Fredericksburg area for wineries. There's quite a few in the Stonewall, Johnson City, Fredereicksburg area. I haven't been to most of them, so I can't make a recommendation. The climate is nice for grapes (hot and dry with rocky soil).

Directions - Lyndon B Johnson National Historical Park

Fredericksburg, Texas - Wineries Find Wineries in Fredericksburg, Texas

Fredericksburg Winery ..Since 1978

As for some of the other comments (ie - no vacancies), I ABSOLUTELY understand. Austin will never be the same as it was in the late 70s when I lived there. Fredericksburg was dead, dead, dead when I was growing up. I guess you take the good with the bad, like the rest of life.
__________________
lark_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #47
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leominster
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lark_L View Post
If you want to do LBJ and a winery tour, I'd hit the ranch (between Stonewall and Johnson City). Then on toward Fredericksburg area for wineries. There's quite a few in the Stonewall, Johnson City, Fredereicksburg area. I haven't been to most of them, so I can't make a recommendation. The climate is nice for grapes (hot and dry with rocky soil).

Directions - Lyndon B Johnson National Historical Park

Fredericksburg, Texas - Wineries Find Wineries in Fredericksburg, Texas

Fredericksburg Winery ..Since 1978

As for some of the other comments (ie - no vacancies), I ABSOLUTELY understand. Austin will never be the same as it was in the late 70s when I lived there. Fredericksburg was dead, dead, dead when I was growing up. I guess you take the good with the bad, like the rest of life.

Awesome information. I will certainly not miss LBJ and the winery road. I told the wife it will be a fairly early start in the morning so we can spend time at the ranch and at one winery then drive back through the countryside. I am sure we will have a great trip all thanks to everyone here.
__________________
GolfingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
San Antonio
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 355
San Antonio

Ok, I live in new braunfels. Took a job 7 yrs ago in San Antonio but chose new braunfels to live as it has much more of a small city feel, has the 2 rivers and gruene Texas, and schlitterbahn and WURSTFEST!!!!! Halfway between San Antonio and Austin, but we rarely go to either as there is plenty to do here and traffic in both cities is awful. NB Has a small city golf course. You may also want to look at cibolo canyons with the new Marriott and TPC. Just went to parade of homes yesterday in CC, huge homes 4-5000 sq ft under 800,000 if you are interested in that price range .
My little neighborhood has garden homes, right by the new HEB, lovely houses 215-400,000. There is a good YMCA in town plenty of bars and restaurants
I just love it here.

No state income tax, our property tax runs about 4500 annual. Let me know when you come in and we can go toobing!
__________________
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Ok, I live in new braunfels. Took a job 7 yrs ago in San Antonio but chose new braunfels to live as it has much more of a small city feel, has the 2 rivers and gruene Texas, and schlitterbahn and WURSTFEST!!!!! Halfway between San Antonio and Austin, but we rarely go to either as there is plenty to do here and traffic in both cities is awful. NB Has a small city golf course. You may also want to look at cibolo canyons with the new Marriott and TPC. Just went to parade of homes yesterday in CC, huge homes 4-5000 sq ft under 800,000 if you are interested in that price range .
My little neighborhood has garden homes, right by the new HEB, lovely houses 215-400,000. There is a good YMCA in town plenty of bars and restaurants
I just love it here.
You ever given any thought to the fact posts like yours ends up making traffic even worse - even on Walnut Ave?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 355
Concur and veramundi will ruin New Braunfels forever...
__________________
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You ever given any thought to the fact posts like yours ends up making traffic even worse - even on Walnut Ave?
Sounds like Mother Nature is busy keeping a lot of roads closed in and near San Antonio. Hope you're all okay!
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,075
It was a wild day in SA but the rainfall amounts were very localized. The airport reported a foot of rain in a 24 hour period and 25 miles away we got less than two inches...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 95
The McNay Art Museum is lovely and well worth a visit. The history behind it is interesting, the grounds are beautiful, and the art is a fabulous mix. A highlight of my visit. . .definitely would want to repeat this experience again.
__________________
healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 43
You should go to the wax museum if it is still there. I haven't been to San Antonio since I was a kid, but we always went to Sea World and Fiesta TX without fail. Make sure to take a lot of water with you wherever you go though, the humidity is nasty and if you aren't used to it you might end up being sick throughout the entire vacation.
__________________

__________________
Powor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.