Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
No, but Tim Hortons has just released an Ehmoji app.

Tim Hortons releases Canuck-themed 'Ehmoji' keyboard app - Business - CBC News
That is really neat
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We've been in Vancouver for over 2 weeks now, and today we walked from our place in West End to Canada Place and took the seabus over to North Vancouver. I had remembered to start GMaps before we left so even with roaming data off we were able to use GMaps to see where we were while wandering around. It really is a nice feature to know about.

The GPS app is also excellent, it cost $19.99 but has contour maps all over the world, I think. I've certainly tested it for the UK. While in wifi I simply locate where I want maps of, then draw a rectangle of the area, download it and name it. This is an important feature because hiking in the wilderness often has no cell service, but there are very few locations where the GPS satellites can't be located.

ETA
You can also use the GPS in airplane mode which preserves the battery even longer when hiking. (Only recently available with a recent IOS upgrade).
Th usfs [in the states, eh?] produces "geo referenced" maps of most of the ranger districts so you can use them offline with a map reader like avenza which I believe is available for Iphone. Other specialized trail maps for bikes and hiking are being slowly made available for use out of cellular range.
It's still easier to read the average gps screen in the daylight, but that may get solved.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is really neat
It's not that great. It only seems to work in text messages.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I am planning to move to Wind Mobile once I move fully to Canada (My iPhone is already unlocked.) - WindMobile has a $45 Canada and free roaming in the US package, the last time I checked.

Just be careful with the "spotty" WindMobile coverage. Their coverage is decent in metro areas but once you leave a metro area you lose coverage and pay roaming charges. This was enough to convince me to stay with Rogers.

Guess I won't complain about Rogers travel packages any more. We recently went to Disneyland and for an extra $5/day I was able to talk, text and use up to my plan's data limit with no extra charges!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Be careful if your carrier imposes fees for data and voice. We are vacationing right now in Calgary and Banff. We have Verizon and got I-dial added to plan before we traveled. Despite her attempts to only use hotel wifi, after four days she got a text from Verizon warning her that she exceeded $50 in data usage. She called Verizon and was told that whenever she is using the Internet at a hotel wifi, occasionally the wifi will drop out. When this happens, the Verizon network kicks in, and charges accordingly. And there is no way you know this is happening. So my advise to you is to disable your iPhone data and roaming, and just try to avoid using the web.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
This is not a problem for me since my service does not allow roaming out of the US, it simply doesn't work which is why I need to get something locally

Quote:
No, but Tim Hortons has just released an Ehmoji app.

Tim Hortons releases Canuck-themed 'Ehmoji' keyboard app - Business - CBC News
I had to get this...the ehmoji's are kind of big but still it's pretty cool

As it turns out the passport I thought had a year left on it didn't (and in fact has expired that's what happens when you don't travel often). So my trip is delayed until I get a new passport which will likely be 4-6 weeks. Given that it will take me outside of my intended time to go looks like I have lots of time to figure this out now
Old 07-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Fantastic.

I have to get this to use when I text my son in law.
I have disabled it after reading this disclaimer in Settings on my iPad. Scary!

Third Party Keyboards provide an alternative way to input keyboard data. These keyboards can access all of the data you type, including bank account and credit card numbers, street addresses, as well as other personal and sensitive information. These keyboards may also access nearby text or data, which is useful for improving autocorrect functionality.

If you enable Full Access, developers are permitted to access, collect and transmit the data you type. In addition, if the third party application containing the keyboard has your permission to access location, photos, or other personal data, the keyboard can also collect and transmit that information to the keyboard developer’s servers. If you disable Full Access for a third party keyboard, and then re-enable it, the keyboard’s developer may be able to access, collect and transmit what was typed while the network access was disabled.

If you do not enable Full Access, developers are not permitted to collect and transmit the data you type. Any unauthorized collection or transmission of this data without your permission would be a violation of their developer agreement. Furthermore, there are also technical limitations in effect to prevent unauthorized access. Any attempt to defeat these limitations would also be a violation of their developer agreement.

You may choose to disable a third party keyboard at any time. To do so, open Settings, tap Keyboards, and remove the keyboard from the Keyboard list.

If you use a third party keyboard, you are subject to the keyboard developer’s terms, privacy policy and practices. You should review the terms, privacy policies and practices of such keyboard apps and services to understand how they use your data and other information prior to use.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We've been in Vancouver for over 2 weeks now, and today we walked from our place in West End to Canada Place and took the seabus over to North Vancouver. I had remembered to start GMaps before we left so even with roaming data off we were able to use GMaps to see where we were while wandering around. It really is a nice feature to know about.

The GPS app is also excellent, it cost $19.99 but has contour maps all over the world, I think. I've certainly tested it for the UK. While in wifi I simply locate where I want maps of, then draw a rectangle of the area, download it and name it. This is an important feature because hiking in the wilderness often has no cell service, but there are very few locations where the GPS satellites can't be located.

ETA
You can also use the GPS in airplane mode which preserves the battery even longer when hiking. (Only recently available with a recent IOS upgrade).
what GPS app are you using?
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I have disabled it after reading this disclaimer in Settings on my iPad. Scary!
Apparently the worst offenders are the flashlight apps. When you see an app that is free, you have to ask yourself how the developer makes its money.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
When I travel outside the US, due to my fear of excessive roaming/data charges I pull out the Sim card of my phone.
I just flip it over and stick it back in on the 2 phones I currently have (not iphones).
I can still make skype wifi calls whenever I can get free wifi (ex McDonalds in Canada).

I guess if I had an emergency like broken down car on a deserted road, I could stick in the sim card to make a call, then pull it out again.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

But the iPhone gives us the option in Settings to turn off cellular data which we do in Canada and Mexico. Like you, we find enough wifi hotspots to be able to use the Internet on the go. And we preload the maps on longer trips.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I switch phones so often that I don't get really good at using my phone except for basic use and maybe 5 apps.
That's why I flip over the sim card, as I cannot be sure I'm turning off the correct thing/setting, whereas, flipping the sim card is guaranteed the phone does not work.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I switch phones so often that I don't get really good at using my phone except for basic use and maybe 5 apps.
Why?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why?
I think they mean they travel to expensive roaming places. It is a neat idea for non-iPhones and I could have used it on my old Android.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Flipping the sim card on android phones stops the roaming issue.

I think Meadbh was asking why I switched phones so often, its not like in the movies where I need to use burner phones so the NSA can't track me.

It was simply because I got a special deal where I could buy $40 airtime for $20 if I took a free phone (and accessories like leather case, charger, etc) with it.

So to save a bunch of money I bought 12-15 of these "sets" , the phones had the airtime built into them so I had to keep switching phones and porting my number over. It did get to be a pain after a while, and once I ended up with a new number as the phone company screwed it up.

All that switching and porting was free of charge.

I have settled down now, and have had 1 phone for a year, but am thinking of switching to the 2nd one I now have full time.

I've just never been captivated by my phone, and have no problem ignoring it, so I just use it for basic functions most of the time. When I web surf I want big 23" or more displays so I don't scroll.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

For any travellers, T-Mobile has an interesting deal , no roaming or LD charges in North America (Canada, US, Mexico).
I read it in WSJ, and just checked their site, it starts 7/15/15 Cell Phones | 4G Phones | iPhone and Android Phones | T-Mobile
Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
For any travellers, T-Mobile has an interesting deal , no roaming or LD charges in North America (Canada, US, Mexico).
I read it in WSJ, and just checked their site, it starts 7/15/15 Cell Phones | 4G Phones | iPhone and Android Phones | T-Mobile
Yep, we're set.