Thailand-Chiang Mai to Pai. Part1

Lancelot

Full time employment: Posting here.
“I can not maneuver in this congested city, my air filter is clogged by the pollution and my wheels yearn to feel the freedom of the open highway again. We go north, na…”

Again and again my Mini Beast (MB) Honda 110 CZi spoke to me in my dreams that we must depart from the confines of Chiang Mai and seek a solace and inner peace making the Pai, Mae Hong Song, Mae Sariang loop. Finally I could deny her no more.

Day one started a bit late; I crossed Chiang Mai's Mae Nam Ping river at 12 noon and headed north on 107. Nothing much of interest on this segment but I did get a bowl of pork noodle soup that was delicious and only 20 ($0.67) baht to boot. My waitress warned me that the chili powder was “ped maak!” and she wasn’t lying. The color was a deep red, almost scarlet and the grind was extra fine so a little dab would do ya!

I took a break at a country cremation temple, where the dearly departed rise upwards. In the city the temples use oil to start the process but upcountry, they are more practical and just throw a few worn out motor bike tires on the pyre...

I spied some crosses in grave yard, so I went for a closer look. I thought they might possibly be WWII related but all of the inscriptions were in a script that didn’t appear to be Thai, but it sure wasn’t English. A missionary grave yard perhaps?

The Memorial Bridge was part of the Death Rail way through Thailand to Burma. Pity those poor B@stards that labored there. Prime Minister Phibun declared war on the US and Britian in January 1942; however, the Thai ambassador in Washing refused to deliver the declaration. Just some trivia for ya :)

I can't seem to attach the photos to the correct text (Any ideas?) So, for now, I'll use a number to index the pic to the subject matter :cool:

1. The Mini Beast
2. Cremation site
3. Cremation site
4. Graves
5. Memorial Bridge

Attachments

• Mae Hong Song Loop 134.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 134.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 014.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 014.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 015.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 015.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 037.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 037.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 041.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 041.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the post.

Keep us informed about your journey!

Heading to Chiang Mai in September before going to Burma(Myanmar) and river cruise up the Irrawady. Should be interesting.

Sounds like a great trip. I crossed in to Burma from Mae Sai, Thailand. Just spent the afternoon there, the Burmese charge you $5 USD and hold your pass port, its a day trip thing. In general the Burmese speak better english than the Thais. Many Thais were crossing the border -free of charge- to buy relatively cheap perfume and handbags for resale back home.

Free trade and a full purse, whats not to like?

Attachments

• Burma 3.jpg
    Burma 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Burma1.jpg
    Burma1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom