Join Early Retirement Today

Thailand-Mae Sariang to Chiang Mai, Part 4
Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thailand-Mae Sariang to Chiang Mai, Part 4

Again up early the next day about 10 kms out of Mae Sariang I noticed pools of water and debris washed up from the ditch onto the road. Must have had a real gully washer late in the night.

I began to notice very green and productive truck patches of cabbage and other vegetables in the valley below. The greenery was a real ľand pleasant change- from the brown, water deprived hills around Mae Hong Son and Pai.

For several kilometers 108 parallels the river and I noticed little huts for swimmers (?) to relax and catch the cool river breeze. All the necessary food, beer and other supplies were readily on hand to pamper and comfort any tourist choosing to relax there. I may have to return there just to while away the heat of the upcoming summer.

Well, all good things must end and the scenery changed from the abundance of nature to the mundane bane of our modern existence. I made this trip in April, 2011 (2555 Buddhist Era calendar.) The traditional Thai New Year occurs on a lunar basia, this year that being April 13-15. What began as a respectful, family type holiday marking the end of the dry season has evolved into a drunken water fighting frenzy. Its actually danerous to be on a bike during Songkran and I was booking for home base-and safety

Some kids must have read my mind because they were celebrating Songkran early on April 9. Yeah, they got me good with two buckets of water. For some reason many normally nonconfrontational Thais think its funny to blast you with water when riding a motorbike and are unconcerned if you actually crash. Weird man...

The final 25 kilometers to Chiang Mai were congested with holiday travelers returning to their villages to celebrate the traditional Thai New Year. I headed straight for Chiang Mai Saloon and ordered my favorite 129 baht ($4.30) pork chop with baked potato.

The entire trip was 667 kilometers, about 400 miles.

1. Vegetable farm outside Mae Sariang
2. More veggies
3. Check out the foot bridge in the upper right.
4. Swimming huts in the river
5. Sustenance for your correspondent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mae Hong Song Loop 122.JPG (118.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Mae Hong Song Loop 126.JPG (118.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Mae Hong Song Loop 129.JPG (120.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Mae Hong Song Loop 138.JPG (119.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Mae Hong Song Loop 139.JPG (123.9 KB, 13 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoying the photos and story.... are you living there permanently? Or is this long-term travel and you just settled there for a bit?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Enjoying the photos and story.... are you living there permanently? Or is this long-term travel and you just settled there for a bit?
Thanks

I've lived in Thailand since 2003. First five years in Bangkok, then three in Pattaya. I have been living in Chiang Mai since December 2010.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've enjoyed reading your posting.

BTW I am curious if you don't mind sharing why did you relocate from Bangkok to Pattaya then onto Chiang Mai?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I've enjoyed reading your posting.

BTW I am curious if you don't mind sharing why did you relocate from Bangkok to Pattaya then onto Chiang Mai?
Well, truth be told, I with hold my rent payments until the Landlord begins the eviction process

Seriously, I had always lived in small towns in the USA and wanted to experience the joys of big city living so I began my "Amazing Thailand" experience in Bangkok. I lived in a 18 story high rise near the Victory Monument area. My room was furnished with cleaning and linen services, so my main task of the day was to step through my window facing the pool area and join our little United Nations Debate Club. Numerous world problems were resolved with the aid of very cold beer

Bangkok -The Big Mango- has a lot to offer but eventually I tired of the polutted air, crowding and traffic so I headed to Pattaya.

My first year in Pattaya I lived in the heart of the tourist area and partied. That gets old, so I bought my little Mini Beast, my trusty Honda Wave CZi (cool name huh?) and began to ride and explore the greater Pattaya-eastern sea board area on the MB.

During my time in Thailand I have always traveled around and I had enjoyed my time in Chiang Mai so in late 2010 I decided to move again. I like the mountain roads up here and the northern people are a little more friendly and genuine as well. So for the time being this is my home base- for now

1. Photo of my $150 US room in East Pattaya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Room small1.jpg (94.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
1. Photo of my $150 US per month room in East Pattaya.
Fixed it for you?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Fixed it for you?

Its fixed
Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Its fixed
Good to know! I was thinking for $150 a day I could get a top notch room in midtown Manhattan through Priceline
Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Good to know! I was thinking for $150 a day I could get a top notch room in midtown Manhattan through Priceline
Naa $150 per minute
Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you think it will be Thailand for the foreseeable future or are you thinking of trying another country?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #11

^ Well my Retirement Visa is good through Feb 2012 so most likely I'll be here until then.

I would like to try a year or two in South America, not really sure which country I would choose. I also like the Philippines and have considered living there for a year or so.

Any recommendations?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Any recommendations?
You and Kramer have been trading tips, right? Maybe the Terhorsts as well?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #13

Ok, ok, I'm busted