Thailand-Mae Sariang to Chiang Mai, Part 4

Lancelot

Full time employment: Posting here.
Again up early the next day about 10 kms out of Mae Sariang I noticed pools of water and debris washed up from the ditch onto the road. Must have had a real gully washer late in the night.

I began to notice very green and productive truck patches of cabbage and other vegetables in the valley below. The greenery was a real –and pleasant change- from the brown, water deprived hills around Mae Hong Son and Pai.

For several kilometers 108 parallels the river and I noticed little huts for swimmers (?) to relax and catch the cool river breeze. All the necessary food, beer and other supplies were readily on hand to pamper and comfort any tourist choosing to relax there. I may have to return there just to while away the heat of the upcoming summer.

Well, all good things must end and the scenery changed from the abundance of nature to the mundane bane of our modern existence. I made this trip in April, 2011 (2555 Buddhist Era calendar.) The traditional Thai New Year occurs on a lunar basia, this year that being April 13-15. What began as a respectful, family type holiday marking the end of the dry season has evolved into a drunken water fighting frenzy. Its actually danerous to be on a bike during Songkran and I was booking for home base-and safety :D

Some kids must have read my mind because they were celebrating Songkran early on April 9. Yeah, they got me good with two buckets of water. For some reason many normally nonconfrontational Thais think its funny to blast you with water when riding a motorbike and are unconcerned if you actually crash. Weird man...

The final 25 kilometers to Chiang Mai were congested with holiday travelers returning to their villages to celebrate the traditional Thai New Year. I headed straight for Chiang Mai Saloon and ordered my favorite 129 baht ($4.30) pork chop with baked potato.

The entire trip was 667 kilometers, about 400 miles.

1. Vegetable farm outside Mae Sariang
2. More veggies
3. Check out the foot bridge in the upper right.
4. Swimming huts in the river
5. Sustenance for your correspondent :D

Attachments

• Mae Hong Song Loop 122.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 122.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 126.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 126.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 129.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 129.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 138.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 138.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Mae Hong Song Loop 139.JPG
    Mae Hong Song Loop 139.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 14
Enjoying the photos and story.... are you living there permanently? Or is this long-term travel and you just settled there for a bit?

Enjoying the photos and story.... are you living there permanently? Or is this long-term travel and you just settled there for a bit?

I've lived in Thailand since 2003. First five years in Bangkok, then three in Pattaya. I have been living in Chiang Mai since December 2010.

I've enjoyed reading your posting.

BTW I am curious if you don't mind sharing why did you relocate from Bangkok to Pattaya then onto Chiang Mai?

I've enjoyed reading your posting.

BTW I am curious if you don't mind sharing why did you relocate from Bangkok to Pattaya then onto Chiang Mai?

Well, truth be told, I with hold my rent payments until the Landlord begins the eviction process :dance:

Seriously, I had always lived in small towns in the USA and wanted to experience the joys of big city living so I began my "Amazing Thailand" experience in Bangkok. I lived in a 18 story high rise near the Victory Monument area. My room was furnished with cleaning and linen services, so my main task of the day was to step through my window facing the pool area and join our little United Nations Debate Club. Numerous world problems were resolved with the aid of very cold beer :)

Bangkok -The Big Mango- has a lot to offer but eventually I tired of the polutted air, crowding and traffic so I headed to Pattaya.

My first year in Pattaya I lived in the heart of the tourist area and partied. That gets old, so I bought my little Mini Beast, my trusty Honda Wave CZi (cool name huh?) and began to ride and explore the greater Pattaya-eastern sea board area on the MB.

During my time in Thailand I have always traveled around and I had enjoyed my time in Chiang Mai so in late 2010 I decided to move again. I like the mountain roads up here and the northern people are a little more friendly and genuine as well. So for the time being this is my home base- for now :ROFLMAO:

1. Photo of my $150 US room in East Pattaya.

Attachments

• Room small1.jpg
    Room small1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
Do you think it will be Thailand for the foreseeable future or are you thinking of trying another country?

^ Well my Retirement Visa is good through Feb 2012 so most likely I'll be here until then.

I would like to try a year or two in South America, not really sure which country I would choose. I also like the Philippines and have considered living there for a year or so.

Any recommendations? :)

Back
Top Bottom