Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here is a good web site with all sorts of Ruidoso info: The Ruidoso Web Site... Ruidoso, New Mexico

Much of the lodging is the mom & pop "cabin" and condo rental variety.
They have a golf course so I'm good.

Inn of the Mountain Gods Golf Course - New Mexico Golf | Inn of the Mountain Gods

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might consider stopping by Guadalupe Mountains National Park. I have never been there, but it is on my list. You can hike Guadalupe Peak
Guadalupe Peak, Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas
and the weather is a bit cooler than the blast furnace that is summer in central Texas
Guadalupe Mtns National Park, Texas (79847) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 07-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I are headed to Taos the last week of July. The high is usually around 84 or 85 during the day and it gets into the upper forties at night. Taos is a wonderful little town. It is close enough to drive over to Red River or Angel Fire for the day. We may even drive to Santa Fe for a day. There isn't much in Angel Fire unless you are a golfer. Red River has an abundance of shops, some restaurants, and mountain activities.

We have TX friends that are staying in Cloudcroft NM for two months They love it there, and we are going to drop by and see them for a night also. We want to check out Cloudcroft for future escapes.

We are also escapee's from the Texas heat. This time of year we start looking for a break from the heat.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Our friends called from Cloudcroft last week when our temp here in the Dallas area was triple digits and said the high there was 64! It has an elevation of some 9000 feet. I am anxious to see if it is a place I will feel comfortable in.

Roswell NM is the last place I would want to be in the summer...
Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
DH and I are headed to Taos the last week of July. The high is usually around 84 or 85 during the day and it gets into the upper forties at night. Taos is a wonderful little town. It is close enough to drive over to Red River or Angel Fire for the day. We may even drive to Santa Fe for a day. There isn't much in Angel Fire unless you are a golfer. Red River has an abundance of shops, some restaurants, and mountain activities.
We had a friend here in town recommend Angel Fire. Yeah, it's even cooler but it's also an extra 2 hours each way from some of the other spots we're looking at, and I'm not sure how well we (or our dog) will deal with prolonged exposure to 9,000 foot elevation. Beyond that, the temps there look heavenly (he says as it's 101º 103º here at the moment)...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The place we rented in Taos is on the mesa, so the elevation is something like 6500 ft. So you don't have that high elevation and the problems that it brings. The house we rented thru FRBO on the net is three miles out of Taos with a gorgeous view of the mountains. They tell us that it may get into the high eighties during the day there, but few of the houses have AC because it isn't needed. We have only ceiling fans where we are staying. The house is adobe and it stays cool.

Taos is having a festival during the month of August. "The Summer of Love" festival. Seems Dennis Hopper lives there and has an art gallery in town. They filmed part of Easy Rider in Taos back in 1969 and somehow saw the need to commorate the forty year aniversary of the filming. Not that that interest me in the slightest. I would rather get a glimps of Julia Roberts who lives out on the mesa close to where we are staying.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Another place to consider that is much more off the beaten track is Silver City and nearby Piños Altos. SC is only at about 6000 feet so you're looking at highs in the high 80's but bone dry with nights in the 50's, but from there you can go up into the Gila Wilderness (the oldest and largest such are in the lower 48), see the cliff dwellings and much else. Silver City is quirky and fun, with lots of art galleries- kind of like Santa Fe circa 1970. It will feel mighty cool after Texas summers and there is a great deal of beautiful country to see. If you like to hike or bike it is the best place I've ever seen.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Beyond that, the temps there look heavenly (he says as it's 101º 103º here at the moment)...
Did I say 103? I meant 106. Silly me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's 84 in Ruidoso...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
NOW I remember why I was so glad to leave Texas.

It's 81 here, right now, and it has rained a little every day this week.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
NOW I remember why I was so glad to leave Texas.

It's 81 here, right now, and it has rained a little every day this week.
Texas looks pretty good compared to New Orleans. I was there a couple of weeks ago and the heat index was 112. Give me that dry heat if I gotta have heat!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

3 or 4 years ago we rented a lovely artist's house in Dixon, NM. I cannot find a current listing for the exact house; perhaps the owner no longer rents it. But this place is in the same vein: Dixon village mountain vacation house rental, CyberRentals property 100837

Its in a pretty place surrounded by BLM land and is within relatively easy striking distance of Taos and the nearby places of interest.

Another thought is Alamosa, CO. Might eb too far, but it would be inexpensive and has areasonably pleasant climate. Surprisingly hip for a little town in the middle of the San Luis valley.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #33

Well, we will have a vacation house in Ruidoso for a week starting this coming Saturday. I'm seeing highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 50s in the extended forecast -- sounds heavenly. It'll probably take about 10 hours to cover, especially since we're taking the dog and will need more stops for water and potty breaks. I'm looking forward to going 80 MPH legally on the stretches of interstate in west Texas. My wife has no desire to do 80, so I guess I'll be driving that segment...

Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Zig, as a reasonably frequent traveler on those 80 mph interstates, I caution you be careful you don't become too enthusiastic. I see a lot of people pulled over for exceeding the limit....

BTW, I recommend the Lincoln County Grill in Ruidoso - nothing fancy, but the food is good. Also, be sure to drive over to Cloudcroft and check it out. At an elevation of 9,000 ft, it's a cool little town...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Zig, as a reasonably frequent traveler on those 80 mph interstates, I caution you be careful you don't become too enthusiastic. I see a lot of people pulled over for exceeding the limit....
I plan to have the cruise control on about 78 or so...

Old 07-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, we will have a vacation house in Ruidoso for a week starting this coming Saturday. I'm seeing highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 50s in the extended forecast -- sounds heavenly.
It sure is a nice place to escape from the heat. Just read about the drought in Texas. Awful! How are the fire ants in your backyard?

We are heading back to our place in the AZ high country early next week. Only 7000 ft, high in the low 80s, low in the low 60s. Just right temperature for navel gazing, catching up on some reading, comtemplating the meaning of life. Heck, whatever one wants to do actually... I am sure even Zen practitioners would agree that once the mind is free of the uncomfort of temperature, enlightenment would come easier.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spent the summer of '80 in the hills east of Santa Fe. Missed the whole record-breaking heat wave going on back home in north-central Texas. Don't regret it at all!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterGuy View Post
Rudioso is fine. I'd avoid Roswell, it's flat, hot and dull, except during the Roswell Festival (then, literally anything that looks vaguely humanoid will be roving the streets -- I believe that, if aliens landed anytine during the festival, they'd go un-noticed).

Check out Espanola, north of Santa Fe. Look up Chiamyo and the famous chapel there (famous for miracle cures). Go over to Las Vegas, NM, where you might find a t-shirt stating, "Las Vegas -- The City Indifferent -- we don't care who the hell you are!"

Go over to Santa Rosa and look in the Blue Hole ... to date, no one's found a bottom, even on helium-oxygen breathing mixture.

Check out the Navajo Reservation, which operates out of Shiprock, to the northwest. Look for the Acoma Sky City, west from Albuquerque.

I used to live there, and -- though I was certifiable-crazy at the time -- I miss the state, the people and the views.
I looke it up.
80 feet deep.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #39

When we were in Cloudcroft, we went to the National Solar Observatory on Sacramento Peak. That was cool but there wasn't much viewing since it was snowing that day. Roswell was funky, the only thing in town to speak of was the UFO Museum. White Sands is cool, expecially if you can see an F117 fly out of Holloman (the wiki seems to indicate that they aren't there) or you might see the Luftwaffe. We also went to the Very Large Array although they only have guided tours on the days that the Trinity Site is open (next on October 3rd).
Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents lived in Cloudcroft for 15 years. I think you will love Ruidoso, but you should drive over to Cloudcroft to check it out for next summer. It is usually about 5-10 degrees cooler in Cloudcroft due to the higher elevation. The trip down to Alamogordo is also well worth it. You descend 4000 ft. in elevation in the space of 20 miles from the pine mountains to the desert and it is a beautiful drive going through all the climate zones.

It will be hot down in the valley, but if you get a chance, you should go to White Sands. The sands are actually made of gypsum, therefore, they don't absorb any heat and are cool to the touch. It is quite trippy to be standing barefoot on a sand dune in 90+ degree weather with the sun beating down on you and have your feet feel perfectly cool and refreshed.

Also, again, even though it will be hot in Carlsbad, if you've never been to the caverns, you should go - they are some of the best in the world (and the temperature inside is a constant 60 or so degrees year round).