Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We considered staying in Cloudcroft where it was even cooler, but we'll be traveling with our dog and I wasn't sure how she'd do for a week at 9000 feet. We'll probably visit, though. Thanks.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Hope you have a great trip. My husband and I just returned to N. Texas after our annual "get out of the heat" excursion to NM. We spent 11 days in Taos. The warmest day was 86 while we were there, and into the 50's at night. It was great I love Texas, but the summers are getting hotter, and hotter.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Taos
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Taos

We had a great time in Taos a couple of years ago. Went in October, hiked in the mountains, felt like we were eye-level with the stars in the evening. Very relaxing.

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Just got home. It was 52º in Ruidoso when we woke up this morning to start packing up the car and heading home.

When we got home it was 101º.

Sigh.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back to the forum. Did you get a chance to look around at RE market there? When visiting nice locations, we always pick up free brochures to see how things are, just out of curiosity.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we looked around. We definitely want to spend more time up there and elsewhere in that area in the summers to come. The good thing is that I work from home and my wife works for a school so we pretty much have all of early June to mid-August to get away as we see fit assuming I clear it with my boss. That might help keep us sane here for a while longer. I do like it here except for the brutal summers.

Oh, yeah -- and the scorpions and the chiggers and the fire ants and....
Old 08-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The good thing is that I work from home and my wife works for a school so we pretty much have all of early June to mid-August to get away as we see fit assuming I clear it with my boss.
Then it's perfect! My experience has been that RE in the AZ high country has held up in prices much better than in Phoenix. It must be because supply is so limited, meaning the scarcity of private land that is interspersed with the National Forests. I have seen a house sold for 15% less than the asking price two years ago. Down in Phoenix, the average drop is probably 30-40%.

We love our "mountain home". Bought it as a possible retirement home, but then realized that it is a long way to the nearest hospital or doctor's office. So, will enjoy it for as long as we can (15-20 years?), then will figure out the next step. Can't think too far ahead. Too many variables in life.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Post some photos, pleeeeeze?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Post some photos, pleeeeeze?
We don't have too many but I'll throw some up in the next day or two. Most were taken from the deck of the rental house where we stayed.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back...sorry you're back in the frying pan.
NM is one place I have never been. Closest I've been in that part of the USA is AZ, Scottsdale, Tuscon and Oak Creek Canyon.
I am enjoying reading this thread, putting NM on my "plotting list" of places for our next adventure (for next year or later depending on savings), on domestic soil.
Pics?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you had a good time, Ziggy, hope your DD (dear dog) did also. Are there any cooler locations within a 1/2 day drive from home, I mean from "the scorpions and the chiggers and the fire ants and....."

101 degrees,
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

A few shots around me from the deck of the house we rented:

This deer came to within about 20 feet of the deck.

Something many of us Texans forgot about, a thing called "rain":

Another thing we have forgotten about: Temperatures like these after a doozy of a thunderstorm. This was at about 4 PM when it's usually about 103º at home:

One of the views from the deck:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Looks wonderful, Ziggy! I *love* that photo of the rain. It looks so cool and refreshing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rub it in Zig, go ahead, rub it in...