Join Early Retirement Today

The High Mountains of New Mexico
Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #1

The High Mountains of New Mexico

The spousal unit and I are thinking about bailing from the incessant hellish heat and spend a week or so in a cabin in the NM high country. It's within about a 9-10 hour drive to us, and the thought of highs in the 70s and low 80s dropping into the 40s and 50s overnight seems like paradise to us at the moment. It's basically the closest place we can find (and within a day's drive) to find serious relief from the heat.

Has any of you spent much time out that way -- I'm probably assuming somewhere high in the Sangre de Cristo or something like that? Anything highly recommended or to avoid?

We're probably looking at the first week of August, for what it's worth.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We've taken a number of heat vacations in NM in the small town of Ruidoso. Closer, more laid back, and less expensive than the Santa Fe area. Not a lot to do, but not crowded and best of all, those folks apparently have figured out how to air condition the outdoors!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We've taken a number of heat vacations in NM in the small town of Ruidoso. Closer, more laid back, and less expensive than the Santa Fe area. Not a lot to do, but not crowded and best of all, those folks apparently have figured out how to air condition the outdoors!
Not a lot to do? I looked it up on a map, and it looks like it's only about an hour from Roswell. Maybe there are tours, and stuff to do in Roswell.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Not a lot to do? I looked it up on a map, and it looks like it's only about an hour from Roswell. Maybe there are tours, and stuff to do in Roswell.
Sure, if that sort of thing floats your boat. However, I prefer the White Sands Monument outside Alamogordo. And nearby the pistachio "ranches" are pretty interesting as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002_0820_131700AA.JPG (332.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2002_0820_124957AA.JPG (316.6 KB, 8 views)

Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #5

Actually, this is good to know. Ruidoso was on the short list of possibilities we compiled over the last couple of days. We're not really looking to "do" a heck of a lot, but it would be nice to be able to spend a few minutes outside without needing to change sweat-soaked shirts several times...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #6

Here is a good web site with all sorts of Ruidoso info: The Ruidoso Web Site... Ruidoso, New Mexico

Much of the lodging is the mom & pop "cabin" and condo rental variety.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Administrator

REWahoo, the White Sands Monument looks really beautiful. I can't imagine sand that white, that far inland.

But as a second choice activity, I dunno - - pistachio ranches sound pretty boring. I'd go for Roswell.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
REWahoo, the White Sands Monument looks really beautiful. I can't imagine sand that white, that far inland.

But as a second choice activity, I dunno - - pistachio ranches sound pretty boring. I'd go for Roswell.
Like I say, whatever floats your mylar balloon boat.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Administrator

Nobody here has ever called me a tinfoil hat.... yet!! But just think: I could get a genuine, bona fide tinfoil hat at Roswell. And who knows what else? Maybe artistic renditions of the aliens or some such memorabilia.

And think of the photo opportunities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Are there cooler places in the mountains in West Texas that people go to in the summer?

Not that anything is cooler than Roswell--hey I saw Close Encounters or pistachio ranches (I'm imagining the dude pistachio ranch where you can rope your own (fill in the sophomoric blank here) ).
Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Rudioso is fine. I'd avoid Roswell, it's flat, hot and dull, except during the Roswell Festival (then, literally anything that looks vaguely humanoid will be roving the streets -- I believe that, if aliens landed anytine during the festival, they'd go un-noticed).

Check out Espanola, north of Santa Fe. Look up Chiamyo and the famous chapel there (famous for miracle cures). Go over to Las Vegas, NM, where you might find a t-shirt stating, "Las Vegas -- The City Indifferent -- we don't care who the hell you are!"

Go over to Santa Rosa and look in the Blue Hole ... to date, no one's found a bottom, even on helium-oxygen breathing mixture.

Check out the Navajo Reservation, which operates out of Shiprock, to the northwest. Look for the Acoma Sky City, west from Albuquerque.

I used to live there, and -- though I was certifiable-crazy at the time -- I miss the state, the people and the views.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Nobody here has ever called me a tinfoil hat....
And they still haven't.

The "UFO" was, according to reports, a military balloon made of a new (at the time) material, Mylar. The thin, shiny tinfoil-like material appeared to be out-of-this-world.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Are there cooler places in the mountains in West Texas that people go to in the summer?
The Chisos Mountains in Big Bend National Park is about the only option within the state. Chisos Mountains Lodge, Big Bend National Park

Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
And they still haven't.

The "UFO" was, according to reports, a military balloon made of a new (at the time) material, Mylar. The thin, shiny tinfoil-like material appeared to be out-of-this-world.
(I wasn't referring to your post about Mylar balloons when I posted about not having been called a tinfoil hat... was just thinking of funny tourist items that they might have.) That's interesting! I can imagine that it probably did.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Administrator

Texas summers are SO hot and dry. I think the dryness gets me more than the heat, there.

It didn't seem as hot here, today. I think we are going to be getting a 10+ degree drop in our temperatures for the coming week. AND, we have a 60% chance of rain tomorrow. That would be wonderful!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
And they still haven't.

That's just what "they" want you to think! Now where did I put that tinfoil hat.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about 2009, but a few decades ago, I spent alot of time in the Gila National Forest doing backcountry hiking, camping and especially ski camping. Drive past El Paso, Las Cruces, and go into the Gila either from the south via Silver City (yes, US180 is really that straight) or the east via Truth or Consequences.

You are hiking along the Continental Divide at elevations between 8,000 and 11,000 feet. Expect a thunderstorm and hail every afternoon. You might see a bear or two. Lots of coyotes and turkeys to hear, but rarely to see

Of course, Big Bend is great as well, but I like it for desert camping in the winter. Last time I was there, they found a guy's remains who had gotten lost a year before. Also don't fall off the South Rim and become newsworthy.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Santa Fe and north is lovely. Headed there on thursday. Frankly, I think Santa Fe is overdone and too touristy. You do much better from Espanola north to Taos.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Many nice small towns in and around Taos and also in and around Los Alamos. The Taos Ski Valley is nice and the area in and around Angel Fire is also nice. I've spent a number of summers living at 9200' elevation in the Taos Ski Valley...wonderful!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not a lot to do? I looked it up on a map, and it looks like it's only about an hour from Roswell.
An hour from Roswell is sort of like an hour from Antelope, Oregon. Don't blink.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote