The Top 10 Best International Places to Retire in 2013

As I detailed quite comprehensively in my earlier posts for those who want to live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle on the equivalent of a social security (only) income overseas retirement may well be the only realistic choice. I do agree with you though JustMeUC, that relatively few people are well-suited for full-time expat life.

Keith (kcowan) is someone who like myself actually lives as an expat for much of the year, and I second his recommendation to check on web forums run by and for expats in areas you are considering to get a more accurate feel for life in those areas. International Liviing, which published the Top 10 list that this thread is based on, is a notorious organization within the expat community: notorious for being all about pushing people to buy real estate and driving up prices in places like Panama and Ecuador through doing so. Meanwhile the first rule of thumb, as Ed and others have pointed out, for anyone contemplating overseas retirement is to always rent and never buy, and have a clear plan to pack up and get out should the need arise.

Lastly, board favorites Billy and Akaisha Kaderli have been living overseas in Mexico, Thailand, Ecuador, Guatemala, etc. for nearly 3 decades now and having the time of their lives doing so on less than 24K a year. There's more good info on their web site (Retire Early Lifestyle) than you'll find on any speculative threads written by folks who haven't been there and done that like they have.

Last edited:
Having lived there for some time, I would definitely put Brazil (away from the two big cities) very high on my list. You would have to speak Portuguese, but much of the southern part of the country offers everything I would want.
And the people there are real nice, about the friendliest I've ever met. Off the beaten path for sure, but a good option.

Having lived there for some time, I would definitely put Brazil (away from the two big cities) very high on my list. You would have to speak Portuguese, but much of the southern part of the country offers everything I would want.

I may have the chance to spend some time in São Paulo completely funded by current employer. While I am not a fan of large cities in general, I do think this might be a nice option for doing some weekend exploration in a new country without dipping into my own stash.

I may have the chance to spend some time in São Paulo completely funded by current employer. While I am not a fan of large cities in general, I do think this might be a nice option for doing some weekend exploration in a new country without dipping into my own stash.

If you don't like big cities you are probably not going to like São Paulo - it's a big city on steroids.

Lastly, board favorites Billy and Akaisha Kaderli have been living overseas in Mexico, Thailand, Ecuador, Guatemala, etc. for nearly 3 decades now and having the time of their lives doing so on less than 24K a year. There's more good info on their web site (Retire Early Lifestyle) than you'll find on any speculative threads written by folks who haven't been there and done that like they have.
For anyone seriously considering retiring abroad, I would recommend Akaisha as a resource just because she takes the appropriate view to any new experience. Originally severing all ties with the US, they actually relented and got a mobile home site there. They also got a home in Argentina at one point ISTR.

I look at it as rolling with the punches, adapting to each new reality as it is presented.

I would include Britain and France in the list.
Or not France...
French actor Gerard Depardieu, who has had roles in about 180 movies including "Green Card" and "Cyrano de Bergerac," has renounced his citizenship in the country to protest France's high taxes.

France's new President, Francois Hollande, wants to raise France's income tax on those making more than a million euros a year to 75% from 41%.

That's apparently too much for the actor, who moved to Belgium in protest and has now renounced his French citizenship and been given a Russian passport.

For anyone seriously considering retiring abroad, I would recommend Akaisha as a resource just because she takes the appropriate view to any new experience. Originally severing all ties with the US, they actually relented and got a mobile home site there. They also got a home in Argentina at one point ISTR.

I look at it as rolling with the punches, adapting to each new reality as it is presented.
Kieth, would you be mixing them up with the Terhorsts? Cashing in on the American Dream: How to Retire at 35: Paul Terhorst: 9780553052893: Amazon.com: Books
I don't think the Kaderllis have ever made it south of Guatemala.

Ya but....none of us earn over 1 million Euros a year (I think).
Except if everyone who does make 1M€+ leaves...rut-row for everyone left. But I [-]hijack[/-] digress.

I just wanted to try the euro sign. :D

braumeister, how about a thread about your experience in Brazil?

How about Curitiba? I was fascinated to learn about Curitiba and have it on my to-visit list.

Here--I started for you: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/living-in-brazil-64457.html#post1267457

A few years back, I was in Costa Rica and I stopped to ask someone for directions in Spanish. The man told me in English that he didn't speak Spanish. It turned out he was a retired ex-pat. I thought it was pretty sad that he couldn't even speak basic Spanish. Personally, I wouldn't want to retire somewhere where I couldn't communicate with the local population.

personally, would not consider any place in cerntral or south america. with all the narco issues in m0xico, i don't even want to visit that country. the one exception is the island of roatan, honduras. it seems to have an economy, a middle class and decent std of living. things that keep the crime rate down.

Last edited:
The same could be said for living in New Jersey.

Note: No disrespect intended. I have family there and a great fondness for NJ.

reminds me... when our daughter announced she was marrying a german lad (good kid, b-t-w-) and staying in de permenantly, dw was pretty upset..."i'll never see the g'kids" and so on... my response was .... if she had married and moved to boston, you would still have to get on a plane to see her [n.b. we are in calif], the only difference is that the flight is longer and on the other end they don't speak english. and one could argue that about boston".

(ditto to purrs comment - love beantown. we visited there in '08 and it is so cool to be "where" so much of our history happened. blew me away to see those places. qoqzers!!)

and fwiw, sil and most folks his age speak way better english than I do german. (zwei bier, bitte).

Last edited:
I have absolutely no desire to relocate outside the USA; better the devil you know...

But I may spend some time here and there, maybe a few weeks or months, depending on factors currently unknown, or at least fuzzy.

A few years back, I was in Costa Rica and I stopped to ask someone for directions in Spanish. The man told me in English that he didn't speak Spanish. It turned out he was a retired ex-pat. I thought it was pretty sad that he couldn't even speak basic Spanish. Personally, I wouldn't want to retire somewhere where I couldn't communicate with the local population.

I agree, but I struggle so much with Mandarin Chinese. When we eventually move to Taiwan I will probably be able to carry on a basic conversation and order food right off the bat but I doubt I'll get very far until I am "in country" for a while. Many people I meet there are eager to talk to me in English anyway so it may not be a big deal, especially in 15 years or so when I finally can retire. And sometimes it's advantageous to just smile and play the dumb wai-guo-ren (foreigner).

personally, would not consider any place in cerntral or south america. with all the narco issues in m0xico, i don't even want to visit that country. the one exception is the island of roatan, honduras. it seems to have an economy, a middle class and decent std of living. things that keep the crime rate down.

Your post leaves me a bit confused. Have you spent any significant amount of time in either Mexico or Roatan?

Many cities in Mexico have a thriving middle class and yes, they are safer than Roatan and MUCH MUCH safer than Honduras in general. Of course there are places in Mexico which are not advised but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Honduras is one of, if not the most dangerous countries in Central America. As a casual tourist to Roatan, you do not see below the surface but Roatan is still filled with poverty and go outside the tourist areas and it can be quite dangerous. If you actually live in a place, you will step outside the tourist track and this is when you see what a place is really like.

We never considered retiring overseas. But we hope to do a lot more overseas visiting!

I live right on an international border anyway, but unfortunately it's not safe to cross it by car. :( It's really such a pity - there is a 12,000ft mountain peak only 150 miles away. In the early 2000s, it was very easy and safe to visit.

Last edited:

As MichaelB mentioned, you should prepare yourself for the fact that São Paulo is a VERY big city.

Crime is also a problem, as in most big cities. I remember once walking out of a restaurant with some companions on a pleasant evening in downtown SP. We hadn't gone more than a few dozen meters when a pickpocket got a guy's wallet (which was deep in his front pants pocket). The pickpocket was already across the street and running hard before my companion even realized what happened. This was in an upscale commercial district, early in the evening, with lots of other people around. Just a trivial example of what you need to be aware of. Good situational awareness is much more important in a big city than elsewhere, IMHO.

As MichaelB mentioned, you should prepare yourself for the fact that São Paulo is a VERY big city....

Yep. I find the idea interesting; but, I am definitely not 100% sure that I will pursue this opportunity (if it even materializes):

• I would like to get paid to experience Brazil:
    • The inside of a hotel/conference-room/office is not that much different from one city to the next.
    • Weekends would be my own for exploring outside the city.
  • I do not think I would be comfortable evenings, etc. in the city.

Done: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-about-living-in-nicaragua-64437.html#post1266734

Please tell us more.

Colombia as it is today looked pretty attractive until I saw this:
Colombian Devil's Breath | VICE News | VICE
There was also a discussion of being drugged and robbed in Colombia on Thorn Tree: Error - Lonely Planet travel forum
but I can't access it anymore.
I love the dude who is their guide. Open the windows and drive fast mofos, blow this stuff out the car!

Get too far into this stuff and you'd never vacation south of the Arctic Circle.

I remember those borrachero trees, with the pretty downhanging flutes. Listen to some of the perps talk and then try to tell yourself that people just like to help. It is frightening.

Ayudanos jesucristo, nuestro sénor, perdonanos nuestros pecados, y danos gracia. Amen.

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom