Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ya but....none of us earn over 1 million Euros a year (I think).
Except if everyone who does make 1M€+ leaves...rut-row for everyone left. But I hijack digress.

I just wanted to try the euro sign.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Having lived there for some time, I would definitely put Brazil (away from the two big cities) very high on my list. You would have to speak Portuguese, but much of the southern part of the country offers everything I would want.
braumeister, how about a thread about your experience in Brazil?

How about Curitiba? I was fascinated to learn about Curitiba and have it on my to-visit list.

Here--I started for you: living in Brazil

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years back, I was in Costa Rica and I stopped to ask someone for directions in Spanish. The man told me in English that he didn't speak Spanish. It turned out he was a retired ex-pat. I thought it was pretty sad that he couldn't even speak basic Spanish. Personally, I wouldn't want to retire somewhere where I couldn't communicate with the local population.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

personally, would not consider any place in cerntral or south america. with all the narco issues in m0xico, i don't even want to visit that country. the one exception is the island of roatan, honduras. it seems to have an economy, a middle class and decent std of living. things that keep the crime rate down.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The same could be said for living in New Jersey.

Note: No disrespect intended. I have family there and a great fondness for NJ.
reminds me... when our daughter announced she was marrying a german lad (good kid, b-t-w-) and staying in de permenantly, dw was pretty upset..."i'll never see the g'kids" and so on... my response was .... if she had married and moved to boston, you would still have to get on a plane to see her [n.b. we are in calif], the only difference is that the flight is longer and on the other end they don't speak english. and one could argue that about boston".

(ditto to purrs comment - love beantown. we visited there in '08 and it is so cool to be "where" so much of our history happened. blew me away to see those places. qoqzers!!)

and fwiw, sil and most folks his age speak way better english than I do german. (zwei bier, bitte).
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I have absolutely no desire to relocate outside the USA; better the devil you know...

But I may spend some time here and there, maybe a few weeks or months, depending on factors currently unknown, or at least fuzzy.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
A few years back, I was in Costa Rica and I stopped to ask someone for directions in Spanish. The man told me in English that he didn't speak Spanish. It turned out he was a retired ex-pat. I thought it was pretty sad that he couldn't even speak basic Spanish. Personally, I wouldn't want to retire somewhere where I couldn't communicate with the local population.
I agree, but I struggle so much with Mandarin Chinese. When we eventually move to Taiwan I will probably be able to carry on a basic conversation and order food right off the bat but I doubt I'll get very far until I am "in country" for a while. Many people I meet there are eager to talk to me in English anyway so it may not be a big deal, especially in 15 years or so when I finally can retire. And sometimes it's advantageous to just smile and play the dumb wai-guo-ren (foreigner).
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've been living in Peru, since 2004, and like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
personally, would not consider any place in cerntral or south america. with all the narco issues in m0xico, i don't even want to visit that country. the one exception is the island of roatan, honduras. it seems to have an economy, a middle class and decent std of living. things that keep the crime rate down.
Your post leaves me a bit confused. Have you spent any significant amount of time in either Mexico or Roatan?

Many cities in Mexico have a thriving middle class and yes, they are safer than Roatan and MUCH MUCH safer than Honduras in general. Of course there are places in Mexico which are not advised but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Honduras is one of, if not the most dangerous countries in Central America. As a casual tourist to Roatan, you do not see below the surface but Roatan is still filled with poverty and go outside the tourist areas and it can be quite dangerous. If you actually live in a place, you will step outside the tourist track and this is when you see what a place is really like.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

We never considered retiring overseas. But we hope to do a lot more overseas visiting!

I live right on an international border anyway, but unfortunately it's not safe to cross it by car. It's really such a pity - there is a 12,000ft mountain peak only 150 miles away. In the early 2000s, it was very easy and safe to visit.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I may have the chance to spend some time in São Paulo completely funded by current employer. While I am not a fan of large cities in general, I do think this might be a nice option for doing some weekend exploration in a new country without dipping into my own stash.
As MichaelB mentioned, you should prepare yourself for the fact that São Paulo is a VERY big city.

Crime is also a problem, as in most big cities. I remember once walking out of a restaurant with some companions on a pleasant evening in downtown SP. We hadn't gone more than a few dozen meters when a pickpocket got a guy's wallet (which was deep in his front pants pocket). The pickpocket was already across the street and running hard before my companion even realized what happened. This was in an upscale commercial district, early in the evening, with lots of other people around. Just a trivial example of what you need to be aware of. Good situational awareness is much more important in a big city than elsewhere, IMHO.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As MichaelB mentioned, you should prepare yourself for the fact that São Paulo is a VERY big city....
Yep. I find the idea interesting; but, I am definitely not 100% sure that I will pursue this opportunity (if it even materializes):
  • I would like to get paid to experience Brazil:
    • The inside of a hotel/conference-room/office is not that much different from one city to the next.
    • Weekends would be my own for exploring outside the city.
  • I do not think I would be comfortable evenings, etc. in the city.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Kieth, would you be mixing them up with the Terhorsts? Cashing in on the American Dream: How to Retire at 35: Paul Terhorst: 9780553052893: Amazon.com: Books
I don't think the Kaderllis have ever made it south of Guatemala.
Yup. I get lots of things mixed up when I don't stay current. But they are both role models for expats living abroad.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Done: What about living in Nicaragua?

Please tell us more.

Colombia as it is today looked pretty attractive until I saw this:
Colombian Devil's Breath | VICE News | VICE
There was also a discussion of being drugged and robbed in Colombia on Thorn Tree: Error - Lonely Planet travel forum
but I can't access it anymore.
I love the dude who is their guide. Open the windows and drive fast mofos, blow this stuff out the car!

Get too far into this stuff and you'd never vacation south of the Arctic Circle.

I remember those borrachero trees, with the pretty downhanging flutes. Listen to some of the perps talk and then try to tell yourself that people just like to help. It is frightening.

Ayudanos jesucristo, nuestro sénor, perdonanos nuestros pecados, y danos gracia. Amen.

Ha
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
We've been living in Peru, since 2004, and like it.
Interesting. The locations under your avatar give no clue.

How about expanding on that? NYEXPAT lives there now and has provided some very interesting comments on life in Lima surrounds.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting. The locations under your avatar give no clue.

How about expanding on that? NYEXPAT lives there now and has provided some very interesting comments on life in Lima surrounds.
Peru, IN or Peru IL or something like that. Not as hilly, and no Incas.

Kind of like Paris, KY. But Paris KY is horse country and full of antebellum mansions owned by rich eastern stable owners. Not sure what the draw in Peru, IN is. Maybe it's exotic, like Cairo IL. Unfotunately Cairo IL is pronounced like Karo syrup, so it kind of breaks the exotic spell.

Rome NY at least has very good pizza.

Ha
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Unfotunately Cairo IL is pronounced like Karo syrup, so it kind of breaks the exotic spell.
Been there. Do not expect ANY kind of exotic spell.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I only wish I had the courage to retire abroad or I'd never read these articles, but I'm not kidding myself...
As recently as 5 years ago, reading Peter Mayle's books about Provence and Frances Mayes' books about Tuscany, and having been to both places, I got excited and thought I would spend some years of retirement in Southern Europe. But now, I see that it takes a bit of work. I am too settled down to even think of moving across town, let alone to another country. And a place I liked to visit as a tourist may just lose its allure after a few months. So, when the time permits, I may just arrange to spend a few weeks, or even a month, and that may be enough.

Quote:

Kind of like Paris, KY. But Paris KY is horse country and full of antebellum mansions owned by rich eastern stable owners. Not sure what the draw in Peru, IN is. Maybe it's exotic, like Cairo IL. Unfotunately Cairo IL is pronounced like Karo syrup, so it kind of breaks the exotic spell.

Ha
There's also Paris, TX. I do not even know where it's on the map, but saw it as the title of a DVD movie.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the early-retirer, retiring abroad may be fore feasible if you can maintain your US residence and try renting their for awhile.

Plus, early retirement makes going abroad more viable than retiring at 65, one would think.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
Peru, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Peru was the winter headquarters for several famous circuses, including Ringling Brothers, Hagenbeck-Wallace, Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, and others.[12] The International Circus Hall of Fame is located in Peru, Indiana. Annually during the third weekend of July, the Peru Amateur Circus holds performances for the whole week, ending with a Circus City Festival and Parade. All of the performers are amateurs, ranging in age from 7 to 21 years. Peru is also the home of the world's only remaining manufacturer of steam calliopes.
Mariya Rasputina, daughter of Grigori Rasputin, was mauled by a bear in Peru while working for the Ringling Brothers Circus. She survived.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote