Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #41
Administrator

My $0.02, burundanga is an urban legend. There are some dangerous places in Latin America, but most are easily avoided. Going to live where you don't speak the language might be a problem for some. I've always felt the biggest risk is plain old doing something stupid when traveling, and there doesn't seem to be much one can do to minimize that. Even staying home doesn't help when you don't have common sense.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My $0.02, burundanga is an urban legend. There are some dangerous places in Latin America, but most are easily avoided. Going to live where you don't speak the language might be a problem for some. I've always felt the biggest risk is plain old doing something stupid when traveling, and there doesn't seem to be much one can do to minimize that. Even staying home doesn't help when you don't have common sense.
I am sure you are right, Mike. It all goes together, doesn't it? Learn the language, stay alert and don't do dumb things.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I am sure you are right, Mike. It all goes together, doesn't it? Learn the language, stay alert and don't do dumb things.
Pretty well sums it all up right there! Seriously....
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, most of these things have some basis in truth, but have probably been blown out of proportion. There are somethings which are going to happen just because you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that can happen anywhere in any country.

I will try to write up a short travel bio and my thoughts on Nicaragua in the thread you posted above and if anyone has any specific questions I will try to answer them. They will be based on my personal experiences and have my own personal bias of course so anyone who reads it, needs to keep that in mind. YMMV
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If you are serious about living abroad, the following forum has conversations by people actually doing it. They are more reliable than the anecdotes here. The problem is that everyone has different requirements.

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

I think kevink is one of the participants there.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Learn the language, stay alert and don't do dumb things.
The same could be said for living in New Jersey.

Note: No disrespect intended. I have family there and a great fondness for NJ.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #47

Having lived there for some time, I would definitely put Brazil (away from the two big cities) very high on my list. You would have to speak Portuguese, but much of the southern part of the country offers everything I would want.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If you are serious about living abroad, the following forum has conversations by people actually doing it. They are more reliable than the anecdotes here. The problem is that everyone has different requirements.

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

I think kevink is one of the participants there.

A great resource no doubt. The only problem with it is that most of the countries people are asking about here are barely covered on this website. It is however a terrific resource on Mexico!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I am enjoying reading the comments, as I do other expat threads. But nothing is going to sway DW, so all I can do is admire others with an adventurous spirit...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Having lived there for some time, I would definitely put Brazil (away from the two big cities) very high on my list. You would have to speak Portuguese, but much of the southern part of the country offers everything I would want.

My very limited experience with Brazil was that it was extremely expensive and the prices were rapidly rising. But, I was only in the 2 major cities so perhaps I did not get a full picture.

However, I will say unequivocally that if the MAIN reason you want to move to a foreign country is the lower cost of living that you will be one VERY unhappy camper after the glow wears off. This is NOT a good reason to move out of your country. It is probably much much better to move within your own country to a lower cost of living area if possible.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

As I detailed quite comprehensively in my earlier posts for those who want to live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle on the equivalent of a social security (only) income overseas retirement may well be the only realistic choice. I do agree with you though JustMeUC, that relatively few people are well-suited for full-time expat life.

Keith (kcowan) is someone who like myself actually lives as an expat for much of the year, and I second his recommendation to check on web forums run by and for expats in areas you are considering to get a more accurate feel for life in those areas. International Liviing, which published the Top 10 list that this thread is based on, is a notorious organization within the expat community: notorious for being all about pushing people to buy real estate and driving up prices in places like Panama and Ecuador through doing so. Meanwhile the first rule of thumb, as Ed and others have pointed out, for anyone contemplating overseas retirement is to always rent and never buy, and have a clear plan to pack up and get out should the need arise.

Lastly, board favorites Billy and Akaisha Kaderli have been living overseas in Mexico, Thailand, Ecuador, Guatemala, etc. for nearly 3 decades now and having the time of their lives doing so on less than 24K a year. There's more good info on their web site (Retire Early Lifestyle) than you'll find on any speculative threads written by folks who haven't been there and done that like they have.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
And the people there are real nice, about the friendliest I've ever met. Off the beaten path for sure, but a good option.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I may have the chance to spend some time in São Paulo completely funded by current employer. While I am not a fan of large cities in general, I do think this might be a nice option for doing some weekend exploration in a new country without dipping into my own stash.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I may have the chance to spend some time in São Paulo completely funded by current employer. While I am not a fan of large cities in general, I do think this might be a nice option for doing some weekend exploration in a new country without dipping into my own stash.
If you don't like big cities you are probably not going to like São Paulo - it's a big city on steroids.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Lastly, board favorites Billy and Akaisha Kaderli have been living overseas in Mexico, Thailand, Ecuador, Guatemala, etc. for nearly 3 decades now and having the time of their lives doing so on less than 24K a year. There's more good info on their web site (Retire Early Lifestyle) than you'll find on any speculative threads written by folks who haven't been there and done that like they have.
For anyone seriously considering retiring abroad, I would recommend Akaisha as a resource just because she takes the appropriate view to any new experience. Originally severing all ties with the US, they actually relented and got a mobile home site there. They also got a home in Argentina at one point ISTR.

I look at it as rolling with the punches, adapting to each new reality as it is presented.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I would include Britain and France in the list.
Or not France...
Quote:
French actor Gerard Depardieu, who has had roles in about 180 movies including "Green Card" and "Cyrano de Bergerac," has renounced his citizenship in the country to protest France's high taxes.

France's new President, Francois Hollande, wants to raise France's income tax on those making more than a million euros a year to 75% from 41%.

That's apparently too much for the actor, who moved to Belgium in protest and has now renounced his French citizenship and been given a Russian passport.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Or not France...
Ya but....none of us earn over 1 million Euros a year (I think).
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ya but....none of us earn over 1 million Euros a year (I think).
One of those probems I would love to have...
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The same could be said for living in New Jersey.

Note: No disrespect intended. I have family there and a great fondness for NJ.
Joisie? What exit?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
For anyone seriously considering retiring abroad, I would recommend Akaisha as a resource just because she takes the appropriate view to any new experience. Originally severing all ties with the US, they actually relented and got a mobile home site there. They also got a home in Argentina at one point ISTR.

I look at it as rolling with the punches, adapting to each new reality as it is presented.
Kieth, would you be mixing them up with the Terhorsts? Cashing in on the American Dream: How to Retire at 35: Paul Terhorst: 9780553052893: Amazon.com: Books
I don't think the Kaderllis have ever made it south of Guatemala.