Join Early Retirement Today

The UK...wonderful....horrible....
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The UK...wonderful....horrible....

Could be back to the UK in a few years. Don't quite get what we would get here in the Spokane area. 2 bedroom terraced house for sale in Chevin Side, Otley, LS21 This place is quite a cutie.....but NOT by American standards. But....take what we can get......14 years in the UK....married to a N Yorkshire lass(if you can call a 53 year old that..)....and don't piss her off. Love her Yorkshire puddin's with roast beef......best meal ever....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Could be back to the UK in a few years. Don't quite get what we would get here in the Spokane area. 2 bedroom terraced house for sale in Chevin Side, Otley, LS21 This place is quite a cutie.....but NOT by American standards. But....take what we can get......14 years in the UK....married to a N Yorkshire lass(if you can call a 53 year old that..)....and don't piss her off. Love her Yorkshire puddin's with roast beef......best meal ever....
Why are you going back? Does your wife not like Spokane? I spent only one year there, but liked it quite a lot. Is there still a restaurant/honkytonk named the Buckaroo out on Highway 2 near Airway Heights?

Ha

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Administrator

I like it, except for the shared walls, stairs, small size for the price, and only one bathroom. But other than that, it is not bad looking.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like it. Just the right size for 2. Who needs monster sized McMansions?
Who wants to clean them or to pay the cleaners?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blimey. A good old-fashioned 2-up, 2-down, 650sq.ft, in Leeds, for 175K? I thought the housing market was meant to be a little soft in the UK now.

Still, at least you get the sitcom-style "Front door opens into living room" setup, which I suspect doesn't actually exist anywhere in the US outside a trailer park.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Still, at least you get the sitcom-style "Front door opens into living room" setup, which I suspect doesn't actually exist anywhere in the US outside a trailer park.
There are still some Yanks living in houses that open to the living room. I know, I are one. Probably not much bigger than a double-wide, but our little embankment ranch greets visitors like they were Ray Romano's in-laws.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

And no closets of course. Check out the wardrobe where all your clothing must fit!

But quite a nice view from the garden...bet you can see sheep from there (and possibly smell them as well, and don't the farmers spread manure 4 times a year up there in N. Yorks?).

Amethyst

Quote:
Blimey. A good old-fashioned 2-up, 2-down, 650sq.ft, in Leeds, for 175K? I thought the housing market was meant to be a little soft in the UK now.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
There are still some Yanks living in houses that open to the living room. I know, I are one. Probably not much bigger than a double-wide, but our little embankment ranch greets visitors like they were Ray Romano's in-laws.
Ditto, though it opens into the hallway, about one foot from the "living room"...

Not sure how I've survived without a grand entrance all these years. Oh, I know; I don't care!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Wow, BigNick, time for a visit back to the States? Many nice houses here have front doors opening into a living room. The front door of my median priced home opens into a formal living room. Every house I have owned in the past had the front door opening into the living room, come to think of it. Frank's front door opens into his living room. Amazingly, neither of us happen to live in a trailer park.

OK, OK, in my case the prior owners converted that room to a dining room, and in turn since I moved in I have converted that room to a home gym. But, it was originally intended to be a formal living room. The house also has a large den, so I have no need for a formal living room.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And no closets of course. Check out the wardrobe where all your clothing must fit!
Amethyst
Don't need a lot of clothes there....just casual stuff and lots of rain gear.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #11

Need a ton of warm clothes in N Yorkshire....these last few years have been terrible for weather. It's not just the rain there that gets you....but the damn wind blows in that part of England. Even worse up on the base I was working at....at least Otley would be down off the hills. Good place to walk. Considering that it isn't THAT far (in miles) from S England.....the weather isn't close to the same. Wife just got there today for a visit.....as I was Skyping her a little while ago she just looked out the window and said it's cold, damp and windy....normal.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

ha- My wife is ok here....we don't live anywhere near the area you mentioned. We are well out of town on the NW side of town...Nine Mile Falls/Suncrest. Just depends on how the next few years go. We are both homebodies and only go into Spokane every few days for groceries (or golf in my case), so where we are at works well. We never go into downtown Spokane....everything we need is on the North side of town. Wife certainly likes the weather better than Harrogate...the cold doesn't bother her since we don't get the wind here. Wife hated leaving her daughter though.....her three older sons are doing fine, but she hated skipping out on her daughter.... guilt.