Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
My wife and I used to buy raw beans at this little store in the early 70s. 2000 Western Avenue is just below the market, and a few blocks north.

I think for those who are Starbuck's fans (which does not include me) a very showy tourist attraction has just been opened by Starbucks a few blocks up the hill from downtown 1124 Pike Street This is maybe 2-3 blocks up the Hill onto Capitol Hill, just E of the Freeway overpass. A more popular local coffee brand, Caffe Vivace has a roaster a block above this

Starbucks combining high-end roastery with Capitol Hill cafe | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

A well known local restaurateur named Tom Douglas has a pie restaurant in the same building as the Starbucks roaster. Of course I haven't committed this sort of nutritional sin against my body in close to 20 years, so pie houses are not big draws for me anymore.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are into wine, take a short drive over to Woodinville, North of Bellevue about 10 miles(across the Lake Washington Bridge (WA520) and have over 150 winery tasting rooms to try. Hollywood area alone has probably 20+ within 5 miles of each. Most of the outstanding wineries from Eastern WA have tasting rooms now in the area. http://woodinvillewinecountry.com/
Nwsteve

Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #23

Wow, you guys are great! I haven't logged on in a couple of days so this was my first chance to see all of the useful replies. Thanks again. This sure is one heckuva website.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

seconding the Museum of Flight, I went multiple times in the 3.5 years I lived in Renton, and on my recent road trip back to Seattle I went again.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

There are a lot of things to do in Seattle. It's one of our favorite places to visit, and we have been there numerous times. I still remember our 1st time there more than 30 years ago, when I had Cioppino for the 1st time in the restaurant up in the Space Needle.

For 1st time visitors, the Pioneer Square and Pike Market are among the quintessential places you want to visit and take a leisure stroll through, if not to have a meal there. We have even enjoyed visits to lesser known places, like the Bainbridge downtown quarter or the Discovery Park (where there happened to be an Indian Pow Wow on that day), or took a leisure walk around Green Lake before we headed to Mama Melina for dinner. This favorite Italian restaurant of ours has relocated from its old spot near the University, and we have not been back to Seattle since.

Ah, lots to do! We usually also stop in the International District (not too far from Pioneer Square) to have a bowl of Chinese duck noodle soup. It's just as good as a bowl of noodle one can get in SF Chinatown, and the parking and traffic are nowhere as atrocious.

As with many large metropolitan cities, the choices for dining are so many, it's hard to choose. We stayed in the Sheraton downtown, and had to walk but 1/2 mile to the restaurants near the waterfront.

And one time, we ventured out and made a day trip to Snoqualmie Falls and made a hike to the foot of the fall. One can even make a day trip from Seattle to Vancouver, or take a fast hydrofoil to Victoria BC. So much to do!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Elliots Oyster House on the waterfront!!!!!

I think I was staring at a giant cruise ship not far away last time I ate there.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
If you are into wine, take a short drive over to Woodinville, North of Bellevue about 10 miles(across the Lake Washington Bridge (WA520) and have over 150 winery tasting rooms to try. Hollywood area alone has probably 20+ within 5 miles of each. Most of the outstanding wineries from Eastern WA have tasting rooms now in the area. Woodinville Wine Country | 30 Minutes from Downtown Seattle
Nwsteve
If you go there - definitely check out the spectacular chateau of Chateau St. Michelle - quite the setting!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #28

If you plan on visiting EMP (at the Seattle Center), also stop in at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center across the street from the Seattle Center. There is no entrance fee, and you gain a great appreciation about what types of research they sponsor, how successful some of their projects have been, and what areas they focus on.

Great way to think about toilets (I won't spoil the surprises).

Rita
Old 02-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We spent a week in Seattle after our cruise and our highlights included a mariners baseball game, and underground tour, the EMP museum and the Chihulie glass museum . Before we left for Seattle we arranged to take a 4 hr glass blowing class. It was awesome!! And our hotel concierge was able together us dinner reservations at the space needle.. Much more fun then we expected. It was great to watch the sunset and the evening appear. Food was surprisingly delicious.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you're into WWII history or military aircraft, you can see Paul Allen's MiG-29 and his foundation's collection of refurbished warbirds at the Flying Heritage Collection museum. I took my dad when he was in town and I was really hoping to get a look at the Mig, but apparently Allen had been flying it that weekend and it was in the shop.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Just noticed this thread. I'll put in a vote for the bonsai collection at the Weyerhaeuser headquarters south of Seattle. Magnificent specimens, and a very enjoyable couple of hours walking around the garden.
Pacific Bonsai Museum
Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

If you like chocolate, especially dark chocolate, the Theo factory tour in the Fremont neighborhood is pretty good. The tour costs $10 and you should reserve in advance. If you like chocolate but don't want to go on the tour, the factory shop has lots of free samples of many of their bar chocolates.

https://theochocolate.com/factory-tour

Regarding Weyerhaeuser, in addition to their bonsai collection, they have a superb rhododendron collection if you happen to be there in the spring.