Join Early Retirement Today

Things to see and do in Seattle
Old 02-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Things to see and do in Seattle

DW and I going on Alaska cruise out of Seattle. We figured we would spend a couple of days before or after in Seattle. Anyone with suggestions on what to see and do there?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

What are your interests?

There is a vibrant, flat track roller derby scene in the area with bouts most weekends (you might have to drive an hour+ to a neighboring city). Not the derby of the 70's, it's a real, amateur sport.

If the weather is nice, you can check out Aqua Verde for paddle boating through lake Union. But you might be burnt out on boats after your cruise.

Dukes is by far my favorite NW seafood joint. Ivars is also a local institution, but it's more of a fast food/red lobster type chowder house.

A lot of folks like the Underground Tour.

There is the Fremont Troll, which is under the Aurora bridge, not the Fremont Bridge. That is one large troll.

Lots of neat downtown neighborhoods. I probably like Ballard the best, classy and safe.

The list goes on...
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The underground tour was really interesting. The Columbia Center sky view was good.
I am kind of dumb but the first time I drove on the floating bridge (520) was pretty exciting.
My wife and kids love to ride the ducks even though we live here.
Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #4

Taking the ferry (along with the rental car) was also an interesting experience for us, as we had never been on one. The ride and view were wonderful.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #5

It you like architecture then you should see and go into the Seattle public library.

I happened to be there on a crystal clear day and went up the space needle. The view is great and the exhibits and food at the top of the needles are very good too.

A view from the ferry is also nice.

A walk through the Pike Place Market of course. There is a nice shoreline park and trail north of the Pike Place Market. Start at the Olympic Sculpture Park.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

+2 on the Underground Tour.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The Ballard locks when the salmon are running!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Take a ferry ride (walk on) to Bremerton and back. No need to hang out in Bremerton any longer than necessary to catch the next return ferry. But, time your return so that you approaching Seattle about 20 minutes before sunset. If the sun is out (big if!!) you will be rewarded with a very nice view of the city and its waterfront.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #9

There is also a tour of the Seattle harbor that is inexpensive. It lasts about an hour.

***Off topic:

If you have rain gear you should bring it, you will probably need it. Fleece is another excellent choice to wear.

I live in Portland and typically dress with waterproof running shoes, merino wool socks, water resistant or quick dry pants and shirt, waterproof and breathable pants, a fleece jacket, a high quality breathable rain jacket with a hood and a waterproof baseball cap (to keep the rain off my glasses) and light weight fleece mittens. I can be outside and walking about quite comfortably like this for miles and miles. Learning how to dress for this climate has made a big difference, especially in retirement where I have more time to be outside.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I lived on Bainbridge Island for 15 years and make the following suggestions:

Ivar's SALMON House Ivar's Salmon House, Seattle Seafood Dining | Ivar's . I agree with cooch96 about their other dining establishments... but they are conveniently located close to the ferry dock. Ivar's clam chowder is served on the ferries.

Experience Music EMP Museum - Music + Sci-fi + Pop Culture & the Ducks - located across from one another adjacent to Seattle Center (& Space Needle).

Agree with ChuckaNut, ferry ride to Bremerton as a walk-on. As you pass the fish farm look straight up the bluff and see our former home.

Seattle has fine collections of Asian art. Asian Art Museum - SAM - Seattle Art Museum The Seattle Art Museum (SAM) is downtown and often has top notch traveling exhibits.

Also - The Museum of Flight

Almost forgot http://www.pikeplacefish.com/

Helen is spot on, dress in layers and expect rain in OR, WA, BC & Alaska.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Chihuly Garden and Glass | at Seattle Center.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Seattle and Tacoma are well known for art glass. Permanent Collections - Museum of Glass Tacoma
Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Again, it depends on your personal tastes, but I'll add to the above suggestions:
Welcome to the great Pacific Northwest!
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

1. Pike Place Market
2. EMP Museum
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Need I say you are in salmon country? Don't choose Atlantic Salmon, they are fish farmed. All other salmon is wild caught. You want to choose a Pacific salmon that is 'in season' whose meat is red.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
DW and I going on Alaska cruise out of Seattle. We figured we would spend a couple of days before or after in Seattle. Anyone with suggestions on what to see and do there?
We went last summer for four days in August. Awesome! Check this site out Official Seattle CityPASS® | Visit 5 Seattle Attractions for $64. We did this and it was a good deal. I agree with the others Pikes place and if your a Starbucks fan going to the original one was kind of cool.
World Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Is this a spring/summer cruise?

Right now we are getting drenched in Seattle. Almost non-stop. I use roundup on my car windshield to remove the moss that grows overnight.

Summer is nice. Both weeks.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
We went last summer for four days in August. Awesome! Check this site out Official Seattle CityPASS® | Visit 5 Seattle Attractions for $64. We did this and it was a good deal. I agree with the others Pikes place and if your a Starbucks fan going to the original one was kind of cool.
Well, it is, and it isn't.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #19

I live in the Seattle area. Moved here in 1997 from Atlanta. One of the most awesome places to see is Mt. St. Helen's. You would have to rent a car and it is about 3 hours south on I5 but definitely worth the trip. If it is sunny a trip up in the Space Needle at sunset is a great plus! If summertime, a whale watching trip.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The Arboretum is a tranquil getaway and can be glorious in spring and summer.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote