Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Read my posts above regarding payload. The "tow rating" is marketing fluff and isn't a realistic indicator of what weight trailer you can attach to your truck, suv or car - unless you pull it with a tow chain that applies no weight to the tow vehicle....
Well, I did say allegedly...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW I have towed the same trailer with a nominally OK truck to test it out, and then with a truck with ample "reserve." Get a truck that's too big. You don't want the trailer to bully the truck under bad road conditions.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Read my posts above regarding payload. The "tow rating" is marketing fluff and isn't a realistic indicator of what weight trailer you can attach to your truck, suv or car - unless you pull it with a tow chain that applies no weight to the tow vehicle....
Vehicle weighs ~5100, rating is ~6200, thus 1/2 ton... Probably want to keep hitch load under 500, which should allow 4800 trailer. Still, I'd derate by at least 10%...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Vehicle weighs ~5100, rating is ~6200, thus 1/2 ton... Probably want to keep hitch load under 500, which should allow 4800 trailer. Still, I'd derate by at least 10%...
Does the the max payload capacity on the sticker inside your door say 1,100?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Son has access to auctions. One coach was just posted that looks great and has very good evaluations. The only issue is that the bathroom is in the stern. DH looked at it and said pass, it isn't a convenient route.

Things you need to consider after retirement.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Does the the max payload capacity on the sticker inside your door say 1,100?
Actually, door sticker just mentions GVW, and per axle. Have to do your own research on empty weight, tow capacity, blah...

I don't think I'd want to pull more than 3000-3500 very far...

Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Actually, door sticker just mentions GVW, and per axle.
There should be another federally required placard inside the door - the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker. Take a look at the very small print right above the tire inflation chart and you should see a "combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed" payload limit for your vehicle. This info is on all cars and trucks sold in the US and has been for years - although I can't find when it became mandatory for mfgs. to include them.

You can see by the example below the payload info isn't prominently displayed, but it is there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.jpg (514.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There should be another federally required placard inside the door - the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker. Take a look at the very small print right above the tire inflation chart and you should see a "combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed" payload limit for your vehicle. This info is on all cars and trucks sold in the US and has been for years - although I can't find when it became mandatory for mfgs. to include them.

You can see by the example below the payload info isn't prominently displayed, but it is there.
It says no such thing...

GVW is 6100, as I stated. Dry weight is around 4500; add two people, some luggage, some misc. junk, and fuel, brings us to around 5000, so around 1100 left to max. Not that you'd want to max out... As noted on the sticker in the glovebox, cargo weight rating for a slide-in is 1450?

Tow ratings are as listed in the last photo. Mine, as configured would allegedly tow 4800; with the super-duper, gee whiz package, 7800...

This has little to do with trailer-pulling capacity, other than to say the engine/trans/diff could pull that much weight. The limit on the rear axle is a bit over half of GVW, so maybe 600-650 capacity with a normally loaded truck; i.e. fuel, people, luggage, beer. Tongue weight of around 10% of trailer weight gives a trailer weight of 6000-6500 max. So, my truck should handle the rated 4800. But I wouldn't want to pull that across country. Maybe across town...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door.JPG (168.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg glovebox.JPG (120.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg tow rating.JPG (7.5 KB, 108 views)

Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #89

Guess the requirement to list payload was enacted after your truck was built. I googled up some NTSB info on the payload sticker dated 2001, but it was unclear whether that was a new requirement starting that year. Apparently so.

The "cargo weight rating" in the glove box picture isn't the same as the payload number, at least not on my truck - my payload number is exactly 750 lbs more than the sated cargo weight. Not sure if the relation between the two a fixed number, a percentage, or a totally separate calculation.

The bottom line to all of this is the only way to really know the weight status is to get the truck on some scales and subtract that weight from the published GVWR for the truck. That's what I did - and learned that with a fully loaded RV trailer, a full tank of fuel, me, the DW and her bottomless purse, my truck weighed within 60 lbs of the 10,000 GVWR.

Heh, I just saw an entry on an RV forum where a RVer pulled his truck on the scales and discovered he was 2,500 lbs over his GVWR! He said it did seem to ride a little high in the front...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Guess the requirement to list payload was enacted after your truck was built. I googled up some NTSB info on the payload sticker dated 2001, but it was unclear whether that was a new requirement starting that year. Apparently so.

The "cargo weight rating" in the glove box picture isn't the same as the payload number, at least not on my truck - my payload number is exactly 750 lbs more than the sated cargo weight. Not sure if the relation between the two a fixed number, a percentage, or a totally separate calculation.

The bottom line to all of this is the only way to really know the weight status is to get the truck on some scales and subtract that weight from the published GVWR for the truck. That's what I did - and learned that with a fully loaded RV trailer, a full tank of fuel, me, the DW and her bottomless purse, my truck weighed within 60 lbs of the 10,000 GVWR.

Heh, I just saw an entry on an RV forum where a RVer pulled his truck on the scales and discovered he was 2,500 lbs over his GVWR! He said it did seem to ride a little high in the front...
Hey, I'm a poor working man, with an eleven year old truck, not one of those newfangled models...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Well, even the most optimistic payload rating on a half ton is only 550 pounds more than my minivan, so we may well be looking at something bigger.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, even the most optimistic payload rating on a half ton is only 550 pounds more than my minivan, so we may well be looking at something bigger.
Heh, moved out west less than a week ago and already hankerin' for a bigger truck. You're gonna fit right in...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

To throw some more fuel on the fire, the GVWR on my '95 GMC K1500 (350 cu. in. eng., 4x4) is 6100 lb. per the door sticker. However, when I park next to a new GMC with stated GVWR 6200 lb. (or Ford, Dodge, Tundra for that matter), my '95 model looks like a compact truck. I have to believe the new models weigh hundreds of pounds more than my '95 model, and, therefore, the true load capacity of the new models is less.

I love my '95 GMC with 180,000 miles on the odometer, but I won't be buying another truck from Government Motors.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
However, when I park next to a new GMC with stated GVWR 6200 lb. (or Ford, Dodge, Tundra for that matter), my '95 model looks like a compact truck. I have to believe the new models weigh hundreds of pounds more than my '95 model, and, therefore, the true load capacity of the new models is less.
You are correct that they do weigh more - but that extra weight is due in part to stronger frames, bigger axles, and beefed up suspension systems which enable them to carry more payload, not less. The Detroit Truck Wars pit Dodge, Ford and GM in an ongoing battle to outdo each other. Truck capacities have increased year after year, long ago rendering the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck designations meaningless.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

One more data point.

My 99 C2500 Suburban w/7.4 litre engine.

GVWR 8600 LB
GAWR 6084 LB That is rear axle load.

With me and a full tank of gas and some stuff in it shows up as 7200 LB on scales.
Edit add: fuel tank hold 45 gallons.

By the way Revahoo,

Nice 2011, 2500HD turbo diesel, six speed auto trans, LTZ packaged, crew cab 4x4 pickemup you gat there. With a curb weight of 6377 LB.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #96

If nothing else, I'm certainly learning a lot here!
Great info on a subject I've long been curious about.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh, moved out west less than a week ago and already hankerin' for a bigger truck. You're gonna fit right in...
Eh, I already own a big hat and silver/turquoise belt buckle. The truck and guns just complete the set.

- George Orwell

Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

As I am perusing the RV.org discussion of towing they spend a lot of time discussing wheel base, relative weight of towing vs towed vehicle, and weight distributing hitches.

This is all 'guy stuff' to me but I can see that many on the road don't have well matched rigs.

I am SOOO glad that Brewer's family made it across the country safely.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Eh, I already own a big hat and silver/turquoise belt buckle. The truck and guns just complete the set.
You're going to have to post "Greenwich Before" and "Denver After" photos...

Is there a difference between a New Jersey gun owner and a Colorado gun owner?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Actually , my van did fine towing in the flat lands. It is much bigger and heavier than the trailer, which helps.

You can tell a NJ gun owner by the funny walk from all the anal probes.

- George Orwell