Join Early Retirement Today

This is for you RV'ers on the board!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

This is for you RV'ers on the board!

This was a recent post on my blog, but thought I'd post a copy here, since so many desire to travel when ER. I would love to go on an RV trip around Europe when the girls are grown and after we travel the US and Canada:

One of the reasons we RV is related to cleanliness. Do you remember the news story about the bed bugs in the swanky NY hotel room? Have you ever seen a mattress? How many times do you think that blanket or comfortor gets washed?

When we go on a trip with the camper, I know who has used the bed, toilet, and kitchen, and I also know when they were cleaned last.
You should see these videos.

Was Your Hotel Room a Meth Lab?
Don’t drink from Hotel Glasses

I love having my own bathroom, bed, and kitchen when on the road. I know it’s clean (or not!), and know the only bugs we will be catching are the ones the girls collect in jars when playing outside.

Ciao,
Amy
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read the rv.net forums quite a bit and have noticed most of the RVers mention this issue as being a major advantage when traveling in their "house on wheels". I've traveled quite a bit myself, both RV and motel, and it is nice to know exactly what happened on that bed recently (hee hee!)
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #3

For about 14 years in a row I was at a two-week conference near Orlando every year teaching computer forensics. One guy ruined everyone's hotel stay by bringing a bottle of Luminol and a UV light. The Luminol is a chemical that reacts with proteins and/or amino acids (I flunked chemistry, but I think that's how it works) and fluoresces under the UV light.

The results in all the hotel rooms checked grossed everyone out, and this is one reason I want a travel trailer for trips.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would love to travel by RV. What I hate the most when traveling is being away from my stuff. I know it sounds silly because most people travel to get AWAY but I often joke that I would love to travel if my house was on wheel and I could take it with me everywhere I went (oh wait, it's called a RV!). But my wife does not want to hear a word of it...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is also a bit more healthier traveling in an RV - you can eat better and step outside for a little exercise.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most hotels have fitness rooms now. That is if you can stand putting up with a few germs
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I usually travel for a month per year and have always dreamed of a camper of some kind but unfortunately these gas guzzling behemoths are way out of my financial comfort zone so i usually tent and motel on my trips and after 50yrs i've never had a problem with motels.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
It is also a bit more healthier traveling in an RV - you can eat better and step outside for a little exercise.
Didn't Elliot Spitzer just show us that indeed you can eat well and get exercise at a hotel? Probably be less expensive in an RV though.......
Old 03-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Didn't Elliot Spitzer just show us that indeed you can eat well and get exercise at a hotel? Probably be less expensive in an RV though.......
"Recreational Vehicles" come in all shapes, sizes, price ranges...and sexes.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Red face

If the RV is rocken dont come a knocken
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote