Join Early Retirement Today

Timeshare rentals?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Timeshare rentals?

We've been using VRBO rentals for a number of years and pleased with most of them. They are economical for monthly rentals but in-season they can be expensive for a weekly rental. So we are looking for options for weekly rentals especially on short notice trips.
Someone recently posted about renting from a time share owner. But in reading up on that there seem to be some pitfalls in doing so. There can be some bargains but what happens if a rental from an owner is "not allowed" by the resort?
We've considered these before but were scared off by comments like "don't tell management you're renting from us". "Don't use the pool, restaurant, etc."
So how do you avoid these problems?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Someone recently posted about renting from a time share owner. But in reading up on that there seem to be some pitfalls in doing so. There can be some bargains but what happens if a rental from an owner is "not allowed" by the resort?
Worse case, they fine the owner. If the owner doesn't pay the fine, they foreclose.

I doubt that you could be evicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
So how do you avoid these problems?
Easy, rent at a legitimate place....
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try the website "endlessvacations" it's run by Wyndham and features excess inventory in their system. Sign-up for the email specials and we will see some great deals.

You are not going to find a lot "in season" but for short notice trips they are unbeatable...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've seen these advertised on ebay and elsewhere. They were very cheap compared to market rental rates. A few hundred per week in Vegas. $600-800 for a 2 BR place in Myrtle Beach compared to 50-100% more for a market rental.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You lost me at the word "timeshare"
Old 03-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I outright bought a timeshare on Ebay once for super cheap. I would never ever pay full price for one, but at a bargain price ($200) I have gotten a lot of use out of it. I usually do a trade for someplace I want to go...

It is only worthwhile though if the unit you buy has a reasonable maintenance fee and is on a good exchange board.

As far as renting one, I would think that you need to make sure of legitimacy of it. I know that I can rent mine out though the actual resort if I don't want to use it or do an " registered owner guest" for a small fee. Something definitely isn't right if the owner says "don't tell" and I would run as far away as possible.....
KmmFIdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
As far as renting one, I would think that you need to make sure of legitimacy of it. I know that I can rent mine out though the actual resort if I don't want to use it or do an " registered owner guest" for a small fee. Something definitely isn't right if the owner says "don't tell" and I would run as far away as possible.....
Yes we rented our timeshare independently. We also traded it through a swapping site. All above board. The resort rented it for market rates, whereas we rented it for twice what the maintenance fee was.

Good advice above.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

I am encouraged to make sure mine is used. All I need to do is send them a fax with the name of who will be using it for the week and my signature. Never had a problem.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #9

It's usually not a problem when someone rents out a timeshare unit that they own. It can be a problem if someone rents out a unit that they obtained through one of the exchange companies. Ask to see a copy of the resort confirmation for the week being rented, if the confirmation is from an exchange company (Interval, RCI, etc.) it should raise some red flags.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Try the website "endlessvacations" it's run by Wyndham and features excess inventory in their system. Sign-up for the email specials and we will see some great deals.

You are not going to find a lot "in season" but for short notice trips they are unbeatable...
I just signed up. We have had a fun time with free / cheap unsold tickets for local events, so maybe we will move up to last minute travel after this. The bargain part for us is half the fun.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
It's usually not a problem when someone rents out a timeshare unit that they own. It can be a problem if someone rents out a unit that they obtained through one of the exchange companies. Ask to see a copy of the resort confirmation for the week being rented, if the confirmation is from an exchange company (Interval, RCI, etc.) it should raise some red flags.

I asked an "owner" to send verification of their actual ownership once for a vacation rental and never heard from them again.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I did not know about endlessvacationrentals, and just checked them out. Their $59 for 3 nights deal requires an additional resort fee, which varies from $0 to $24/day on the ones that I spot-checked. It's still cheap, but I cannot handle the required 90-120 min "presentation".

The weekly deals look good at $75/night with no sales pitch, but they also require an additional fee, which is $150/week for the one that I sampled.

I have bookmarked this for possible future use.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Add on fees are no fun, my SIL booked a couple of timeshares for a family event in London in November. This was thru RCI, no exchange, a cash purchase of extra inventory. There was the classic cleaning fee, the special handling fee for a non-rci member to check into the unit AND an additional add on fee for gas and electricity use. We have at least 7 people staying there so it's much cheaper then hotel rooms, but the fee are getting completely out of line.

It's very rare now to see the $75 dollar a night fee on the booking page be the actual out the door price...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I own 6 timeshares (Disney beach club, Disney Saratoga Springs, Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villa, Marriott Grande Vista, Sheraton Vistana villages, Hilton Grande Vacation Flamingo )all bought resale some off eBay and other places.

For Rentals check out Redweek.com, here is a good general timeshare site http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Here are people that retired sold their house and have been using timeshares for their residence for years
http://fulltimetimeshare.com/blog | Mike and Edie's adventures travelling from time share to time share for 2 to 5 years and

Ron and Joan's Journey
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There we go. No more home repair and maintenance, lawn service...

I have bookmarked this blog for a later read.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I own 6 timeshares (Disney beach club, Disney Saratoga Springs, Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villa, Marriott Grande Vista, Sheraton Vistana villages, Hilton Grande Vacation Flamingo )all bought resale some off eBay and other places.

For Rentals check out Redweek.com, here is a good general timeshare site Buying, Selling, Renting - Timeshare Users Group Forums

Here are people that retired sold their house and have been using timeshares for their residence for years
http://fulltimetimeshare.com/blog | Mike and Edie's adventures travelling from time share to time share for 2 to 5 years and

Ron and Joan's Journey
I once rented a timeshare in Vegas on the strip bedside Bellagio (the one with the fountain).
It was $250 for the week. Probably about 12 yrs ago.
Bellagio was $500 for 1 night on the weekend as a point of reference.

Yes it was a risk, the but owner told them I'd be coming, and suggested I phone to make sure he did as he said.
Really he was also taking a risk as I mailed him a check.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I asked an "owner" to send verification of their actual ownership once for a vacation rental and never heard from them again.
As an owner I'd consider that weird and suspicous, couldn't you phone the resort to ask if it's legit for Mr X to rent to you on a certain time ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There we go. No more home repair and maintenance, lawn service...

I have bookmarked this blog for a later read.
No heat/phone/cable/electric/water bill
Weekly Cleaning
Managers Party
Coffee/Tea
Swimming Pool
Exercise Room
Activities
Reduced Fee Golf

Great for Snowbirds (I know several that do this). You buy a timeshare for $1 with $900 mf per year and buy weekly getaways for $200 to $700 a week in a Marriott (Orlando no issues other more $$ per week) Hyatt Maui getaway 2 bedroom is $2400 week for example (but its Hyatt Maui you can always go with cheaper Maui place for less than $1000)
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #19

No, I completely disagree with you. I exchange thru Interval, and I can assign the exchange to anyone I like. I've assigned my timeshare weeks to relatives and friends without any problem. Someone could pay me for that week, and I could assign any name I want to assign for that week with Interval. As long as you have a driver's license ID, the resort will take you in if you have the Interval exchange certificate in your name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not know about endlessvacationrentals, and just checked them out. Their $59 for 3 nights deal requires an additional resort fee, which varies from $0 to $24/day on the ones that I spot-checked. It's still cheap, but I cannot handle the required 90-120 min "presentation".
Besides the major pain in the butt presentation, this company sometimes adds a dining certificate for a place that does not appear exist in the area.
verify, verify..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote