Join Early Retirement Today

Tip for valet parking in NYC
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tip for valet parking in NYC

I'll be in NYC in a couple of weeks and the hotel i'm staying at has valet service for the car,i wont be needing the car for 2 days and was wondering what to tip the guy when he brings back the car from wherever they park it. $10?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Given that the hotel is probably charging $50/day to park your car for you, I think they should have ample funds to pay their employees with no tipping required.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It does not matter how long the car has been parked... 2 days, 2 minutes... the same amount of work goes into getting it and bringing it to you...

So, what would you tip if you had just gone to dinner?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It does not matter how long the car has been parked... 2 days, 2 minutes... the same amount of work goes into getting it and bringing it to you...

So, what would you tip if you had just gone to dinner?
That depends on how the parking lot is configured. Longer term parked cars may be blocked by others. I've seen valets move four or five cars to get one out.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #5

I found this guide for NYC (it is about (2 &1/2) years old so keep that in mind)

Valet-Parking or Garage Attendant
Average tip: Onetime parking, $2 to $5.

Exceptional circumstances:
If you pay for monthly parking, tip only at the holidays -- $25 and up,
given to the garage manager.
Things to consider:

For valet parking, tip the guy who brings you your car, not the one who takes it
away.

(other NYC tipping suggestions can be found here:

Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll be in NYC in a couple of weeks and the hotel i'm staying at has valet service for the car,i wont be needing the car for 2 days and was wondering what to tip the guy when he brings back the car from wherever they park it. $10?

Sorry to lead this astray but I'm going to NYC in a month and I got a great deal on a room via Priceline . You can check out what hotels they are offering by going to Bidding for travel.com .
Old 04-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sorry to lead this astray but I'm going to NYC in a month and I got a great deal on a room via Priceline . You can check out what hotels they are offering by going to Bidding for travel.com .
After seeing prices in the $350 to $600 per night range i was starting to rethink staying in Manhatten but searching and a few phone calls got me in the Chelsea Hotel for $179 per night which is very handy as the venue i'm attending is a walkable few blocks away.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #8

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn near Times Square/Bryant Park for $146 a nite and even got a $50 bonus certificate for a later stay with the Marriott family of hotels. It came with a decent breakfast too. Here are some other deals: Hotel Deals from Marriott including travel deals and vacation packages

Normally, I'll take Bolt, Mega or the "Chinese Bus" up to NYC, but last time I drove and had intended to park at a garage several blocks from the hotel at $10-15 per day rate using this group: Icon Parking Systems - Reservations, Information, Pricing
Instead, it was the weekend, and on Saturdays and Sundays there's free parking on many streets around 36-40th Streets, between 6th and 7th, so I parked on the street -- you have to be careful, however, about alternate side of the street parking for sanitation/street clean-up, but I knew about that already from my Brooklyn days. I drive a beat-up 1994 Volvo so I wasn't worried about the car that much and I didn't leave any valuables in the car. There's probably alternate side of the street parking in Chelsea too, but I'd check with Icon and park there yourself -- it's where the Valet parking people will probably be bringing your car, anyway!

BTW, a $5 tip is sufficient for ordinary Valet parking.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After seeing prices in the $350 to $600 per night range i was starting to rethink staying in Manhatten but searching and a few phone calls got me in the Chelsea Hotel for $179 per night which is very handy as the venue i'm attending is a walkable few blocks away.

That hotel really has some history behind it . I can not wait to get your impression of it . I love funky hotels .
Old 04-11-2009, 04:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That hotel really has some history behind it . I can not wait to get your impression of it . I love funky hotels .
It was the kids idea,seems the place where Sid Viscious murdered his wife has some appeal to the younger set (room 100), The guest list at this hotel is impressive,seems any one who is any one in the music or movie industry has stayed at the Chelsea at one time or another.Personally the reason for me is the venue for the kids rock concert is just a few bolcks away so taking them there and picking them up doesnt require a major public transit ordeal just a 6 block stroll.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Not only is the Chelsea Hotel much cooler than the Residence Inn, you have the advantage of being downtown away from the bulk of the tourist crowds. BTW, Sid killed Nancy Spungen, who was not his wife but his codependent girlfriend.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman65 View Post
Not only is the Chelsea Hotel much cooler than the Residence Inn, you have the advantage of being downtown away from the bulk of the tourist crowds. BTW, Sid killed Nancy Spungen, who was not his wife but his codependent girlfriend.
You are probably correct about that one, but as someone who lived a few blocks away from the Chelsea Hotel and frequented there a lot between 1975-78 to visit our best friend who lived at the Hotel for three years, I had enuff of the mice and roaches that ran rampant through his apartment at the Hotel, which at that time was also housing long-term tenants. Virtually any hotel in NYC, except perhaps for the recent additions, has it's own history; my favorite when I was growing up was this one: Hotel Theresa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #13

Had a great 3 days in the big city, the Chelsea Hotel Hotel Chelsea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
made up for its somewhat seedy nature with amazing ambiance, neet people and its location,its where i'd spend any future stays in NYC.
Great city and we went to many places but i'm glad to be back home in the country as 3 days is about as much as i can take of all the hustle and bustle of all the people,the nightmareish traffic,and the constant noise and chaos.
Highlights of the trip included the people i met at the hotel and walking around the neighborhood,,walking around Times Square,china town,Ground Zero,Battery Park,the free ferry to Statten Island,the subway system,Also honorable mention to Murrays Bagels,Pinkberry,and Rub BBQ, I'll be back
Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You made the right choice in staying downtown - had you stayed midtown like most people, you would have met more people from Missouri than NY.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #15

I learned sometime ago that if you are going to visit someplace its more fun to pay the extra bucks and stay in the middle of it all,although i do shop for a bargain as in this case where regular prices for most comparable hotels in the area were $300+ the Chelsea quoted $189 per night after i told him i was a senior.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately, in NYC the "middle of it all" is Time Square, which is geared 100% to tourists. The real middle of it all in Manhattan is generally considered to be Union Square, which is generally a locals kind of place.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman65 View Post
Unfortunately, in NYC the "middle of it all" is Time Square, which is geared 100% to tourists. The real middle of it all in Manhattan is generally considered to be Union Square, which is generally a locals kind of place.
I didnt mean the exact center , the Chelsea is a lot more centrally located than say Paramus and commuting in.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I see. Chelsea is indeed convenient, with great subway access.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'm leaving for New York City on Friday for a family wedding and vacation . What am I planning on doing ? Museums ? Broadway Shows ? Ground Zero? Times Square ? Yes but I'm also looking for greasy pizza , great bagels and pastrami on real rye bread .
Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #20

Having spent a couple of wonderful years in NYC in the late 1970's, I have to have my NY fix every couple of years. I enjoy seeing a show or two, hitting a museum or two, maybe a foreign film, having some Ray's Original Pizza, noshing in my room on some deli victuals unobtainable in western PA, etc. Recently I have preferred to stay on the upper West Side near Julliard.