Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #21

Are you bringing a mobile device along so you can stay connected? Much easier to find good deals with a decent internet connection.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
....... There, we'll rent a car to tour the southwest. ........
What is your plan for rental car insurance?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Are you bringing a mobile device along so you can stay connected? Much easier to find good deals with a decent internet connection.
Glad you brought that up cause I will definitely need a comm link not only for finding deals but for emergencies. My wife has a samsung smartphone and I want to bring my netbook. I have to check what frequencies are used in the US and whether her phone or my internet aircard
will work.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What is your plan for rental car insurance?
I plan to call my US CC companies to ask if they provide free or cheap car coverage?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I plan to call my US CC companies to ask if they provide free or cheap car coverage?
I'll be interested to see if you can get primary coverage from a CC company.

Rental Car Insurance: Which Credit Cards Have You Covered
Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #26

Quote:

Thanks for the website. It is late where I am so I will need to search out the difference between primary and secondary coverage tomorrow. Apparently Visa only has secondary coverage.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #27

I don't have much to add to what had been stated here. I manage to travel quite inexpensively but it takes some advance planning. I try to select budget hotels that are out of town but on public transportation (if I can help it I don't rent cars). Hotels with coffee in the room, a fridge, and breakfasts included are so convenient and often great deals. A restaurant meal at noon is usually much cheaper than dinner, then grocery items like fruit, etc. and a glass of wine from the fridge once returning home. I don't mind staying in lower-budget hotels if they are clean and safe and quiet--after all, I'm not traveling to hang around a hotel room. In Europe I opt for inexpensive pensions, often with shared WC--I go back to the same ones in Austria and Italy that I've frequented for years and know the landladies well by now. The most outrageous costs are flights, but because I am still working I often add a few vacation days to my business trip or conference and thus the flight is covered. For planning, I rely heavily on the tripadvisor site as well as the venere.com site--both are excellent!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #28

Quote:

Nice link. Yeah, when I come to the USA I rent with my Visa card (which is USA-based) which covers damage to the rental car itself under most circumstances. In fact, it even covers you abroad in most countries for most rentals. But it is worth it to read through the exceptions on their web site (no coverage for a truck if I recall, rental periods over 15 days, etc).

Then what I do is I pay the daily fee for liability insurance through the insurance company (ouch). It is something like $13 per day and may be higher now.

I may lose my USA license next year and have to drive in the USA on my foreign license (Philippines license -- no international driver's permit required for short USA trips). I hope the coverage is the same through Visa driving on a foreign license, I have not checked. I am assuming MJ has maintained his USA driver's license.

Kramer
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Regarding our travel plans, they haven't been finalized but we'll probably fly to NY where I have friends and family. Stay around the area for 3 weeks. Then, we will fly out to Tucson to visit a dear friend. There, we'll rent a car to tour the southwest. Ideally we would like to drive to LA to catch our return flight.

Thanks for all the great advice. Keep them coming!!!!
I missed when this trip is to happen. But think twice about traveling in the SW in summer. It can be like a furnace, and so far this year seems to be shaping up as a hottie. This weekend it is even too damn hot in Seattle.

Ha
Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

For Future Reference.....

Unfortunately, this advice is too late for this trip, but I'll suggest it for future trips. Several years ago, we switched to a Capital One visa because we can use the points as mileage for any airline. Plus, the points can be used to reimburse us for other travel expenses we charged on the card (after it was done). So, we shop for the cheapest airfares, then get reimbursed for them with our points. We've also been reimbursed for car rentals, hotel charges........all after the fact, since they were all charged on the same card. A caveat: they won't reimburse you for a partial receipt. For example, if I had a car rental receipt for $400, but only 30,000 miles, they will not reimburse me $300. I can only get reimbursed for charges that would cost 30,000 mi. or less. (Hotel bills easily do that.)

Nonetheless, it's saved us a lot of $. True, to earn the points we have to charge a lot. DH put all our bills on Visa auto-pay (regular bills like utilities, medical, groceries, gas for the car, insurances), and we pay the bill off at the end of each month. The pts. add up quickly that way.

Plus, we've saved by using the other advice offered here. I don't mind hostels either, but DH likes a more hotel-like arrangement. So, I go for the hostels and pensions when travelling with girlfriends from college........ we never got over living out of backpacks. But DH never acquired that taste.....

Oh, here's something else that keeps me from running out of cash. I keep a little log where I record each day's expenses, then keep a running subtotal for the trip. It makes it easier to stay within the budget planned.

And, now that we're working so hard at purging for down-sizing, I will probably never buy another souvenir. I don't know where to put the brass rubbings and Impressionist prints from the post-college Europe trip, let alone other memorabilia picked up over the decades. No more posters to frame, beer steins from the Rhine, or dirndl skirts from Austria!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
I don't know where to put the brass rubbings and Impressionist prints from the post-college Europe trip, let alone other memorabilia picked up over the decades. No more posters to frame, beer steins from the Rhine, or dirndl skirts from Austria!

As one of the ladies in Riyadh said "I don't want any stuff that I'll move from one basement to another".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Regarding our travel plans, they haven't been finalized but we'll probably fly to NY where I have friends and family. Stay around the area for 3 weeks. Then, we will fly out to Tucson to visit a dear friend. There, we'll rent a car to tour the southwest. Ideally we would like to drive to LA to catch our return flight.

Thanks for all the great advice. Keep them coming!!!!
You may consider flying to Phoenix instead of tucson - Fox rental car has what seems to be the lowest drop off fees for a different state (California LA). With fox - be careful of the car walk around and note any ding/defect/glass chip before hand.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I missed when this trip is to happen. But think twice about traveling in the SW in summer. It can be like a furnace, and so far this year seems to be shaping up as a hottie. This weekend it is even too damn hot in Seattle.

Ha
Good point that's why we are heading to NY in September stay 1 to 2 weeks and then head to Tucson. It should be cooler by then. Remember, we are coming from Thailand so the SW dry heat should be comfortable enough.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #34

I did some research regarding CDW and spoke the a visa benefits rep.
I live in Thailand and I have a Thai driving license.
I was told by Visa the following
(1) if your Country of Residence is not US, then you are covered up to 30 days per rental agreement. I did notice that my CC showed my Country of Residence to be US so I'll be changing it to play it safe.
(2) if you do not have auto insurance coverage in the US, Visa provides primary coverage for collision and theft.

I will definitely have to get liability insurance. I'll either get it from the rental agency or get a 30 day policy from a reputable insurance co if I wind up renting the car for 3+ weeks.

My driver's license expired this year when I turned 65. That's another reason I am heading to Tucson. I will try to get another AZ driver's license or at least an Id so I can continue to apply for future bank accounts.

Here are 2 useful websites regarding your CC benefits .
This one is for all visa CCs
This one is for all CC's , just put in the 1st 10 CC numbers. The BoA cust rep provided this site to me.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #35

Regarding insurance, is anyone familiar with worldnomads.com? They have what appears to be very good and reasonably priced travel insurance which includes either $1,000,000 or $5,000,000 liability insurance which is what I really want.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did some research regarding CDW and spoke the a visa benefits rep.........
Thanks - good information for anyone researching this in the future. I'm renting a SUV for an upcoming trip (certain vehicles not covered) and this helped clarify coverage.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #37

The last three times I rented a car I initially reserved more than 1 month in advance, went back and checked the prices weekly, found with the same rental company lower prices which I was able to take advantage of by simply cancelling the existing reservation and entering a new one. No lock in, no guarantee was needed, the most recent the total price came down by 1/4.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The last three times I rented a car I initially reserved more than 1 month in advance, went back and checked the prices weekly, found with the same rental company lower prices which I was able to take advantage of by simply cancelling the existing reservation and entering a new one. No lock in, no guarantee was needed, the most recent the total price came down by 1/4.
I do the same. Like airline tickets, car rentals jump around and sometimes you can find a bargain just before you are ready to leave.

Southwest lets you change air line tickets for free, so you can also game them somewhat.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #39

MJ I always use World Nomads for our travel coverage. A great company. Good service, good reviews from other travelers, and good prices.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
MJ I always use World Nomads for our travel coverage. A great company. Good service, good reviews from other travelers, and good prices.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Although they are reasonably priced at under $6 a day, they are offering a lot more than I need. I really only need liability insurance when I rent a car and certainly don't want the expensive insurance the rental companies offer.
Anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Just aside note, World Nomad has the option of choosing single or couple. If you select couple, it is 2x the single price less $2 and I assume the coverage would be shared. It would seem that a couple who wanted this insurance would get 2 single policies so that each would get full coverage.