Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I really only need liability insurance when I rent a car and certainly don't want the expensive insurance the rental companies offer.
Anyone have any alternative suggestions?
Check with your auto insurance company. When renewing my auto insurance I was recently able to purchase (for $21) a rider that covers use of my own vehicle outside the country as well as rental cars in Canada and the US. This was in British Columbia, Canada, so YMMV.

BTW, Happy Canada Day!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #42

We have a couple policy--from what I understand, it is the same as if we'd gotten two single policies as far as coverage, but was cheaper than getting the singles. I bought ours back in November, though, so the details are hazier at this point!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Check with your auto insurance company. When renewing my auto insurance I was recently able to purchase (for $21) a rider that covers use of my own vehicle outside the country as well as rental cars in Canada and the US. This was in British Columbia, Canada, so YMMV.

BTW, Happy Canada Day!
I live in Thailand and have no auto insurance.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #44

WorldNomads seems to be OK. It is strictly travel insurance, in that when you are stable they want you shipped back to your country. Unfortunately, it comes with a bunch of stuff only backpackers care about, travel and trip insurances with low deductibles, something I would rather not have included. But the main benefit to you is that it is not age-rated.

You are better off getting health coverage as short term health insurance from a USA company with an extensive network in the USA. Assurant Health offers this coverage. And you can buy it for exact dates (not by the week like World Nomads) and with your option of deductibles and max out of pocket. Unfortunately, I think you said you were 65 and so I don't think you are eligible.

All that being said, I got World Nomads for my current trip to the USA (where I am located right now). I didn't want to mess with the faxing requirements for Assurant Health (cannot apply online) and I was in a rush.

But since then I figured this out (how to fax easily from overseas near my home) and will probably apply for Assurant Health for my next trip. Unlike World Nomads, their coverage is age-rated. my coverage would have cost about 20% more for a 47 year old. The big advantage besides the extensive network is that you have coverage for your dates, you don't need to go back home to finish the job at a hospital in Thailand.

If I were mid-50s or higher, then I would probably go with the non-age-rated World Nomads due to the higher costs for Assurant.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I live in Thailand and have no auto insurance.
Yes, I think you are stuck with paying for the daily liability insurance from the rental company. This was my conclusion after studying this issue.

There is such a thing as non-owners insurance (not necessarily easy to find), but you need a USA address, true residence in the USA (I think), and you would need to drive long enough in the USA to make it worth your while. You probably don't meet any of these conditions.

I was paying around $13 per day for the liability which is pretty good coverage, like 1 million per incident. That, combined with protection of the car you are driving (if damaged or stolen) via your Visa card, is very decent coverage.

So you should also be pricing liability insurance when you are getting prices for your car rental. I don't know if it can be discounted for a longer rental, say 1 to 2 weeks, but I have not heard of that.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #46

kramer, I was able to purchase the World Nomads policy for 2 months, instead of by the week. And I DEFINITELY want to get back home as soon as I am able to travel. Hmmm, let's see...which would I choose...recuperate in Kazakhstan or in South Carolina?

But my situ is different than the OP, who wanted health coverage, not travel coverage. Different mammal for sure. I'm happy that World Nomads covers lots of what most companies call "extreme sports" which happens to be some of the stuff we do on vacay.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #47

Here is a thread with more information:

Bogleheads • View topic - Need Health Insurance Reccomendations, for travel

Even though there are 5 links on there, I really think there are just 3 companies:

IHI (Bupa) -- this is WorldNomads
Assurant Health
IMGlobal (also Protext)

When I applied for the last one to get coverage for my USA trip (or at least to price it), I was ineligible because I did not have health insurance in my country of residence (Philippines).

The other two options I discussed in my previous post.

In fact, for a true perpetual traveler (unlike MJ and I), who has no home or permanent residence outside of the USA, it is not even clear if World Nomads works because they want you state the country of your permanent residence in the application (if I recall, that is the term that they use).

If anyone has other options for US citizens coverage in the USA for travel purposes, please post them. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Nice link. Yeah, when I come to the USA I rent with my Visa card (which is USA-based) which covers damage to the rental car itself under most circumstances. In fact, it even covers you abroad in most countries for most rentals. But it is worth it to read through the exceptions on their web site (no coverage for a truck if I recall, rental periods over 15 days, etc).

Then what I do is I pay the daily fee for liability insurance through the insurance company (ouch). It is something like $13 per day and may be higher now.

I may lose my USA license next year and have to drive in the USA on my foreign license (Philippines license -- no international driver's permit required for short USA trips). I hope the coverage is the same through Visa driving on a foreign license, I have not checked. I am assuming MJ has maintained his USA driver's license.

Kramer

Just as an FYI, if you choose to buy the insurance from the rental company, the CC will not cover ANYTHING...

Found out when someone from our company was in a bad hail storm and the car was damaged... for some reason, our receptionist had opted for the insurance with a $6K limit.... the damages were more than that... we put in a claim and the CC refused... also, the drivers insurance refused even though they are considered 'primary' most of the time....
Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just as an FYI, if you choose to buy the insurance from the rental company, the CC will not cover ANYTHING...

Found out when someone from our company was in a bad hail storm and the car was damaged... for some reason, our receptionist had opted for the insurance with a $6K limit.... the damages were more than that... we put in a claim and the CC refused... also, the drivers insurance refused even though they are considered 'primary' most of the time....
Yes, but (just to be extra clear) this is for like kind of insurance. For instance, he can purchase liability insurance from the rental company but refuse the other insurances, and be totally covered with the Visa card for damage to the rental itself (or if it is stolen), within their coverage parameter list.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
kramer, I was able to purchase the World Nomads policy for 2 months, instead of by the week. And I DEFINITELY want to get back home as soon as I am able to travel. Hmmm, let's see...which would I choose...recuperate in Kazakhstan or in South Carolina?

But my situ is different than the OP, who wanted health coverage, not travel coverage. Different mammal for sure. I'm happy that World Nomads covers lots of what most companies call "extreme sports" which happens to be some of the stuff we do on vacay.
Hi Sarah, yes I think that is a different situation. Actually, I am happy with the level of coverage provided by World Nomads even in the USA. It's just that for someone still in their 40s visiting the USA Assurant is probably a better deal for me.

I wanted to buy the insurance by the day. I ended up having to choose whether to cover my last partial day in the USA for $36 (price for an additional week), since you can't buy by the day, and my cheapo instincts kicked in and I opted not to do that. With Assurant, I was pricing coverage for my trip plus one or two days, figuring if something happened I might have to stay a day or two beyond my trip length.