Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hidden cameras were installed in the lobby of the building where I worked. Supposedly they were there for our protection, but many thought someone was checking on people sneaking out during working hours.

I didn't resent the cameras, but blew a kiss in their direction sometimes when nobody was looking...

Sometimes I say "Hi, Mr. Banker!" to the president of the local bank when I use the drive-through and look at the camera over the ATM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think that you don't understand the issue. It is not that the person is goofing of. It is that there is no trust.
Agreed, but the fact is that the majority of theft in businesses come from employees. It could be something a simple as theft or services (skipping out early or taking your home trash to the work dumpster), to stealing truckloads of inventory, to intellectual theft.

I find it funny if not naive that people say such things as "I'd quit if they installed cameras". They must be the same people who also don't realized that the phone/cell companies 1st issue when starting up, buying new equipment or launching news services is the ability to be intercepted. Yes our government requires all communications companies as a condition of license, to have lawful intercept abilities. I am prohibited to provide more specific detail as to how it was implemented where I worked, but it goes much deeper.

Today, industrial spying is widespread. Companies & governments now face an onslaught of intellectual theft. I worked for and with a few of the majors and let me tell you, they are scared s#itless over the inherent openness of a work environment. One company had to fire a couple of high level technical people who were later found to be spying for the Chinese. Upon further reflection, they knew when they hired one of them, that the person was "too good to be true" with regards to his experience and education. It was like he was pre-molded to fit within that company! Think about that next time you walk by a camera or use your pass-card at work.
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A video depiction of entering my building. However, the parking situation is much different...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Some of work out here in the boonies with a key to the front door, e86. And we can pick up and go to work somewhere else if we decide whatever is ailing us (too much supervision or cameras or what-have-you).

I had to laugh about the trash in the dumpster comment--I have never worked anywhere where that might possibly trouble my boss!

Megacorp with the cameras isn't the only place to work, I promise.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
A video depiction of entering my building. However, the parking situation is much different...

You work in the Tardis?

TARDIS-model-01.jpg
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hidden cameras were installed in the lobby of the building where I worked. Supposedly they were there for our protection, but many thought someone was checking on people sneaking out during working hours.

I didn't resent the cameras, but blew a kiss in their direction sometimes when nobody was looking...
Worked at a car repair shop with cameras mounted high looking down the row of mechanics. Hated it. After a couple weeks I took a buried fuel tank level checking stick and pushed the camera closest to me up to look at the ceiling. Was fired shortly thereafter, based on that action, which suited me just fine.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We had an employee spending too much time surfing the internet. We found it during a routine scan of internet activity through our server. Her boss challenged her and she quit shortly after (probably preferring a less diligent employer).

After that we developed a fair use policy for company resources so that people knew that a little bit of surfing was fine!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I had to laugh about the trash in the dumpster comment--I have never worked anywhere where that might possibly trouble my boss!

Megacorp with the cameras isn't the only place to work, I promise.
Sarah,

Once again, there i more to it than that. Depending on the jurisdiction and type of service, trash can be expensive. For example here for businesses, the bylaw says that all waste needs to be separated, some trash is strictly prohibited and subject to fines. So when a company signs up for the service it generally needs to disclose the type of trash and they are told what is prohibited. Unauthorized regulated waste is subject to fines and surcharges.

I have worked for Mega, medium and small businesses and also owned two. To varying extents, this stuff applies to all. The difference now is that small companies can afford to buy and use this technology. Thus the proliferation.

E86
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Loved that show! Watch the following from the 1st episode at the 30 second mark! Who would have thought in 1965 that this would become a regular occurance (and one of the big reasons I no longer go to movie theaters.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

So you're saying I should be happy about working in a place I can bring my trash? Excellent! We also have a spacious back yard where I can practice hoopdancing at lunch, even if it is right next to the dumpster.

Maybe I just don't take all of this quite so seriously. All in good fun, sir.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
...They must be the same people who also don't realized that the phone/cell companies 1st issue when starting up, buying new equipment or launching news services is the ability to be intercepted. Yes our government requires all communications companies as a condition of license, to have lawful intercept abilities. I am prohibited to provide more specific detail as to how it was implemented where I worked, but it goes much deeper.

Not to high-jack; but, this is at least as bad for ISP's as for more traditional telecom companies. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if some of the guys in the tinfoil hats really do know something.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote