Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'd quit if I were the maid.

I'd probably quit if I worked for you.

It isn't the case that "if she's doing her job, there are no issues." People don't like have someone looking over their shoulder while they work. It's creepy.
I understand...but then there wouldn't be too many places you would work today. The proliferation of surveillance cameras is astounding!

Also, I don't really watch 30 cameras full-time. I mostly look back when there are issues. It also allows me to quickly access situations and remedy them...so I run my business better. It is also a deterrent.

You are also only looking at one side of it. Try sticking your neck out for millions of dollars to build and run a business. Your view towards security and surveillance would be very different.

Its the world we live in...
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
What should one do to prepare the Home for an extended absence to keep it safe. Burglary, water damage, fire, cold weather, etc.

Sell it or rent it.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Hmm. Another very informative thread. Thanks. This may be useful in the near future.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a very interesting thread. However, I'm wondering how it would work with the situations my SIL told me about today. Someone must be casing their neighborhood. A few weeks back when we had a lot of snow on the ground someone came a stole her and two neighbors' AC for the copper during the night while they were home! Then last week a neighbor was moving and left their pit bull in the house. It's a good thing they did because someone came while they were at the new house and drilled the locks out. The pit bull scared them so they left with nothing.

If you are not looking at the camera at the time someone is in the house (like my SIL not looking outside when her AC took a hike), I guess you won't prevent the theft but you would know who did it if you had it taped?
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I understand the benefits of cameras for businesspeople, but like Martha, I'd quit.
I found out that a prior employer was going to put up secret cameras in our warehouse and told him that I would absolutely quit if he did so.

It is one thing if you sign on to work somewhere like Walmart, where the cameras are there to protect you, and working somewhere where someone is secretly monitoring you scratching your butt. Nope, couldn't pay me enough.

But back to the OP, I have used Housecarers to arrange for folks to actually live in our place when we've done extended trips and would probably do so again, either through a formal arrangement like them or casually with friends.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
A few weeks back when we had a lot of snow on the ground someone came a stole her and two neighbors' AC for the copper during the night while they were home! Then last week a neighbor was moving and left their pit bull in the house. It's a good thing they did because someone came while they were at the new house and drilled the locks out. The pit bull scared them so they left with nothing.
I think it helps if the neighbors have seen how your house is furnished and realize that you have nothing of value... particularly the neighbor's chatty teenagers.

But if you're the kid with the reputation at school of having all the really cool gadgets & toys then it's only a matter of time.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Make friends with your neighbors!
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
I'd have no problem letting a maid go if she didn't like the cameras...if she's doing her job, there are no issues. Employees everywhere are watched and monitored constantly. Try and count all the surveillance cameras at a Wal-Mart. You need some time to do this as there are many. My small business has 30!
Video surveillance is common in jobs that deal with cash or where theft of goods may be an issue. It's not commonly used in office environments to monitor employees work habits.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Video surveillance is common in jobs that deal with cash or where theft of goods may be an issue. It's not commonly used in office environments to monitor employees work habits.
Oh, you would be surprised. One of the minor annoyances in my last year at work was the installation of hundreds of cameras through BigFruityCorp's office complex. That plus the installation of card key access to each little building section, so our movement could be tracked, and we could be kept out of areas we weren't authorized to be in (like our meeting rooms, or labs where we were supposed to work on products, but couldn't get clearance for...)

It did make the retirement decision easier.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
One thing nice about Mexico is that our Mexican neighbors cover our backsides. Once you know them personally (and their families), they cover for you like family.

We went to the wedding of our maid and contributed generously. It is already paying dividends. Now she feels comfortable to goof off during the day but stays until she gets all her work done.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Keith, my dad spent about 5 years on a project in PV for a big company back when I was a young teen. He'd go there for a week every month establishing a farm operation.
He always remarked on how hospitable and trustworthy the folks were that he worked with, and that the project was received very favorably because of that.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Sell it or rent it.
When we came to USA on assignment we rented the house out. It worked great.

We are leaving next week to England where we will be renting a house for 7 months. The owners are in Australia on assigment so this is their solution as well.

In both instances above an agent dealt with the advertising and arrangements.

Next year we will probably do a house swap with relatives of DW's in Australia for several months.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When we came to USA on assignment we rented the house out. It worked great.

We are leaving next week to England where we will be renting a house for 7 months. The owners are in Australia on assigment so this is their solution as well.

In both instances above an agent dealt with the advertising and arrangements.

Next year we will probably do a house swap with relatives of DW's in Australia for several months.
Have a great trip! How many suitcases are involved?

What are you doing with your current US abode while you are overseas for seven months?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Alan, post your address and folks on the forum will keep an eye on your place while you're gone...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'd quit if I were the maid.

It's creepy.
It's especially creepy if she is stealing, or sitting down all day.

Like the guy says, there are cameras everywhere, observing us. Why shouldn't someone get to observe the person who is in charge of their home?

Ha
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Have a great trip! How many suitcases are involved?

What are you doing with your current US abode while you are overseas for seven months?
Our son lives less than a block away and will be keeping an eye on the place, and driving our car to work for a few days each month.

We will be checking 2 suitcases each. We managed 10 weeks away last year with one suitcase each so it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Alan, post your address and folks on the forum will keep an eye on your place while you're gone...
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass
Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Why shouldn't someone get to observe the person who is in charge of their home?
Ha
I think that you don't understand the issue. It is not that the person is goofing of. It is that there is no trust.

We trust our maid to do the job. She might spend an hour with the neighbors but she still gets the job done. And the time she spends with our neighbors improves their perception of us as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

It wouldn't bother me at all to have cameras where I worked as long as I knew they were there ("ready for my closeup")--I always assumed everything, such as internet use, was monitored anyway, even if it wasn't.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think that you don't understand the issue. It is not that the person is goofing of. It is that there is no trust.

We trust our maid to do the job. She might spend an hour with the neighbors but she still gets the job done. And the time she spends with our neighbors improves their perception of us as well.
Or at least we frame it differently. Since we are all under surveillance in developed contries much of the time, but with no announcement of that fact, what could be the issue with telling someone upfront, this house is monitored? Ethically it seems a step up from ordinary every day practice. Corporate employers do it all the time.

I do understand however that when well-to-do foreigners live in some one else's country, with likely partial understanding of the language and the customs, and take poor members of that host society into their homes, it is often a wise course to write off modest shrinkage to a protection fund.

Ha
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
It wouldn't bother me at all to have cameras where I worked as long as I knew they were there ("ready for my closeup")--I always assumed everything, such as internet use, was monitored anyway, even if it wasn't.
Hidden cameras were installed in the lobby of the building where I worked. Supposedly they were there for our protection, but many thought someone was checking on people sneaking out during working hours.

I didn't resent the cameras, but blew a kiss in their direction sometimes when nobody was looking...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote