Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Maybe top 10 "touristy" spots

Navy pier is quite possibly the last place I would suggest somebody visits when coming to Chicago
+1, same is true for Fisherman's Wharf

I've been to all 10 also and the only one I'd put in my top 10 is Niagara Falls, and then only if you ride the Maid of the Mist into the Horseshoe Falls. Or ride the barrel...

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatika View Post
+1, same is true for Fisherman's Wharf

I've been to all 10 also and the only one I'd put in my top 10 is Niagara Falls, and then only if you ride the Maid of the Mist into the Horseshoe Falls. Or ride the barrel...
I'd drop The Wharf, Navy Yard, and Marketplace. However, I'd argue that the top 3 and one of the Disneylands are all uniquely American experiences and well worth visiting. Sure they lack of the beauty of most of our National Parks or Hawaii, but most countries have some really beautiful locations. There is only one Times Square, one Vegas Strip, and certainly only one DC Mall.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
There is only one Times Square, one Vegas Strip, and certainly only one DC Mall.
I'm surprised that Vegas hasn't replicated Times Square or the DC Mall yet...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The Great Smokey park is actually quite a pretty place, although to a Western like me the mountains look more like foothills.
Whenever anyone insults the size of the Appalachians or Smokies by comparing them to the Rockies, I always say "come back in 100 million years or so". The Appalachians were higher early on than the Alps are now. Even the Smokies were as big as the Rockies. Recent studies show that some of the rocks in Nevada are runoff from the Appalachians. It's amazing what a little wind and rain erosion will accomplish.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been to all but the Navy Pier.

The strange part of looking over the list? I think it may be in the exact order of the number of times I've visited each site.

Kind of disheartening to hear I'm a typical crowd-following American tourist.

Well, maybe not - I've seen the Paisano Pete 10-ft. tall roadrunner monument in Fort Stockton at least three times.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Well, maybe not - I've seen the Paisano Pete 10-ft. tall roadrunner monument in Fort Stockton at least three times.
Hey, I feel fortunate just to have been given the opportunity to view the Goode parking-lot armadillo!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, I feel fortunate just to have been given the opportunity to view the Goode parking-lot armadillo!
Did I ever mention Salem Sue?

Salem Sue, World's Largest Holstein Cow, New Salem, North Dakota
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
This seems to be a list of the most visited spots then actual tourist destinations. Being from the Boston area I'm sure most of the visitors to Faneuil Hall Marketplace are locals that live within driving distance, it's just a place to go for entertainment and dinner. Never met a 'tourist' that flew into Boston just to visit Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Same could probably be said for some of the other spots on the list.
Has the Market been cleaned up from the 60s? I used to go down there on a Friday night to buy meat and try to keep some butcher's thumb off the scale while he weighed it.

I don't think I ever won, but the experience was worth it. Is there still a pizza dive down in that neighborhood named "The New Deal"? Unbelievably good thin crust pizza, best north of Providence and New Haven.

Ha
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Maybe top 10 "touristy" spots

Navy pier is quite possibly the last place I would suggest somebody visits when coming to Chicago
Agreed - I was hoping someone would offer an opinion, and I'd love to hear from visitors on that.

Navy Pier in Chicago reminds me of one description of Paris Hilton "She's famous for being famous". I'd say people go there because people go there.

Although, we did walk through as part of some other things we were doing in the city a few weeks back. They had some fun Halloween stuff going on, actors playing out parts, doing an old medicine show routine, magic tricks and stuff, it was kinda fun. We actually walked through the stained glass museum in there, which I didn't see before, and it was quite good.

But still far, far down on the list of things to do/see.

Quote:
I've been to all but the Navy Pier.
Post if you want suggestions if you are coming to town (hint: not Navy Pier! ). It depends on what your interests are, but the Chicago-land people will give you lots of options. A Chicago hot dog, no ketchup is an absolute must (I've converted a few people).

-ERD50
Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #30

I've been to 2,5,6,8 & 9. I'll check out the others after I quit working in 2 yrs, 2 months, 1 day!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Hey..I've been there too!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been to all but #9 too. I think this is a list of top 10 tourist traps. None of them would come to mind if I was recommending places to see in the states to a visitor.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yes, tourist traps they might be, but I am glad to find myself to be a typical tourist.

I am geeky and different enough from regular people that it is a relief to know I share some traits with the public at large.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #34

I would have put Yellowstone National Park in there, probably in the #6 spot.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Has the Market been cleaned up from the 60s? I used to go down there on a Friday night to buy meat and try to keep some butcher's thumb off the scale while he weighed it.

I don't think I ever won, but the experience was worth it. Is there still a pizza dive down in that neighborhood named "The New Deal"? Unbelievably good thin crust pizza, best north of Providence and New Haven.

Ha
My first experience with Faneuil Hall was in the mid-70's during my college days so not sure what it was like during the 60's. It's always been well kept since I've been visiting. For Italian food we would usually take a walk into the North End, no shortage of excellent Italian food there.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I've been to all 10 and like others I agree they are probably the most visited, but only 2 would make my personal "top" 10 list. Some of the ones on this list are so touristy they're disgusting, but YMMV.

Off the top of my head, Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, San Francisco (other than F Wharf), Nantucket, Napa would probably be among my top 10. I'd be more interested in a list of top 10 experiences instead of top places anyway (and started a thread along those lines a while back).

But fun to think about for a few minutes nonetheless...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think it is a record-keeping trick. Who knows whether I have been to the GC? Or watched the sunrise from the middle of a volcano (Maui)? Or body surfed (Maui and Oahu)? Or snorkeled (Oahu)!

Although I have been to Chicago and Boston, I have not visited their top spots, but I have visited all the others. Somehow it does not rate as an accomplishment to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HanaumaBay.jpg (71.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Any Top 10 list that does not include The Alamo is not authentic. Well, at least if you are including Texas in that vote.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Any Top 10 list that does not include The Alamo is not authentic.
The Alamo is a wonderful historical concept but disappointing as a physical destination.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The Alamo is a wonderful historical concept but disappointing as a physical destination.
It's a shrine, and to me a very moving one. Overall, Texas Missions are not very imposing compared to California's. But I enjoyed going down the river from El Paso and visiting the missions along that stretch, as well as seeing some of them around San Antonio.

Ha