Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
"Totality" on Amazon Prime. A bit over-the-top, but kind of neat - worth a watch for those planning to view....
It is good, but anytime I saw that first way-over-the-top guy, I cringed. Not just his weepy opening scene, but later we see him make a few attempts to start his old truck, we see him not once, but twice, calling to try to make motel reservations. The guy even gets emotional scouting out the spot he plans to watch from. The rest of it was interesting, for the most part. Thanks for sharing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got this from Amazon in regards to some solar eclipe glasses I ordered from them (emphasis mine):

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers. Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness.

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account). There is no need for you to return the product. You can view your available balance and activity here:

Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #203

Good for Amazon for taking this seriously. You could probably look at a partial eclipse with regular dark sunglasses and it would *seem* ok but you could still be burning your retinas. I'd heed this.

I just booked a room in Knoxville as a backup in case the Greenville forecast looks too overcast. Hoping one or the other works, plus I think I have a place to stay in Asheville if the NC mountains look best.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Good for Amazon for taking this seriously. You could probably look at a partial eclipse with regular dark sunglasses and it would *seem* ok but you could still be burning your retinas. I'd heed this.

I just booked a room in Knoxville as a backup in case the Greenville forecast looks too overcast. Hoping one or the other works, plus I think I have a place to stay in Asheville if the NC mountains look best.
I am going to use the cardboard shadow method. And just observe the Terra Firma around me as the sun goes darker in my area. That should be very interesting.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Just got this from Amazon in regards to some solar eclipe glasses I ordered from them (emphasis mine):

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers. Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness.

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account). There is no need for you to return the product. You can view your available balance and activity here:
They could have added:

"You can view your available balance and activity here: .... , please do so before the eclipse event, in case you do not heed this warning."

I plan on telling all my friends and family to simply not risk direct viewing. A life-time of blindness, incurable, for what you can see other ways, and/or pictures later? Pictures will be better, and I actually found that observing the change in lighting around us is more interesting.

-ERD50
Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #206
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got that message as well, although I ordered filters made by Thousand Oaks which not only is on the list of "good" filters published by NASA and others, but is a long-standing company well-known in amateur astronomy circles. I have to wonder what's going on. In any case I have my #14 welders filter.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Back in the days of film cameras, everyone had plenty of photographic negatives on hand, in case you wanted to get additional prints made.

We were told by authoritative sources like the daily newspaper that you could view an eclipse by looking through two or three layers of completely exposed (i.e., black) negatives.

I remember watching at least two partial eclipses that way as a kid. It worked perfectly well, and it didn't seem to do any damage to my eyesight.

I wonder how many homes even have any negatives on hand today?
Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #208
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Back in the days of film cameras, everyone had plenty of photographic negatives on hand, in case you wanted to get additional prints made.

We were told by authoritative sources like the daily newspaper that you could view an eclipse by looking through two or three layers of completely exposed (i.e., black) negatives.

I remember watching at least two partial eclipses that way as a kid. It worked perfectly well, and it didn't seem to do any damage to my eyesight.

I wonder how many homes even have any negatives on hand today?
I remember watching a partial the same way.

Nowadays some one must be held accountable if a dolt does something stupid.
Bought my glasses 6 months ago from a NASA approved supplier. They look alot like exposed film.

Any way, we will enjoy.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the Amazon message too. I then read the AAS page about how to tell if your glasses are strong enough, and I decided to risk my sight for a half-second look at the sun through them, and, just as the AAS said it should be, I saw a sharp circle of light and absolutely nothing else. If anything, the sun seemed too dark with these.

I ordered another pair anyway from an approved vendor with a Monday delivery date (more expensive, but not completely absurdly so), but I do think that Amazon is doing some corporate behind-covering. That said, eyesight is not something to mess with. I may take a glance or two, but I figure their will be no shortage of pros taking shots of the action in the sky--I want to look around and see what it's like at ground level.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #210

FWIW, I got my glasses from Amazon and didn't get the message. Somewhere else I saw a list of the recommended manufacturers and distributers and my were on both lists, which make me feel good. And I also tried mine out on a sunny day and saw the same thing...only saw the sun, very dark, but I'd easily be able to make out the moon going in front of it, and no issues after looking at it for 2-3 seconds the first time, 5-10 another day.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #211

I'm thinking, and I'm not a doctor and barely made it through bio, but as a person who has looked at the sun without any filter, I can say that there was a spot when I closed my eyes.

So wouldn't one be able to take a gander at the sun with your cheap filter glasses, then close your eyes and see if you detect any spots? It just seems to me that damage would yield something detectable.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm thinking, and I'm not a doctor and barely made it through bio, but as a person who has looked at the sun without any filter, I can say that there was a spot when I closed my eyes.

So wouldn't one be able to take a gander at the sun with your cheap filter glasses, then close your eyes and see if you detect any spots? It just seems to me that damage would yield something detectable.
NO!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...fry-your-eyes/

emph mine...
Quote:
Under normal circumstances, it's more difficult to look at the sun long enough to incur damage because of something called an aversion reflex. "We learn early on in life we just shouldn't be looking at something that bright, because it is uncomfortable and we can't see anything," Chou said.

"The problem when it comes to looking at a partially eclipsed sun is that you are trying to see something that you know is going on that's different, and willpower is an amazing thing to override an aversion reflex."

To make matters worse, it's possible to look directly at the sun "with a certain degree of comfort" when the sun is partially covered by the moon, Chou said. Even when the sun is almost completely covered, though, the tiny crescent that remains is still bright enough to burn your retinas.
Isn't there something about "burn your retinas", that makes you think you just should not do this, w/o being 100% sure, and having about 94 different means to assure that you are sure.

I'm not gonna do it. Period.

-ERD50
Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #213

Here is a note about the fake glasses... It may not be that bad. I took mine outside, and it looked the same as a pair of paper ones given to me by an astronomer guy. All dark except the sun. It is like a blind man when looking at anything else.

https://qz.com/1040159/solar-eclipse...commendations/
Quote:
In the meanwhile, here’s the real question: How much does it matter if you wind up with a pair of glasses that don’t meet NASA safety standards? “All the testing I’ve done have shown that the products are very bright but are not unsafe,” says Lunt. Tests done on a spectrophotometer—a lab-level machine that costs thousands, in case you were wondering if you could check your glasses yourself at home—show that the lenses are, in fact, blocking the most harmful spectra of light. “The IP is getting ripped off, but the good news is there are no long-term harmful effects,” says Lunt.

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso-certification
Quote:
How can you tell if your solar viewer is not safe? You shouldn't be able to see anything through a safe solar filter except the Sun itself or something comparably bright, such as the Sun reflected in a mirror, a sunglint off shiny metal, the hot filament of an unfrosted incandescent light bulb, a bright halogen light bulb, a bright-white LED flashlight (including the one on your smartphone), or an arc-welder's torch.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Just snagged a campsite at a Ky state park nicely situated in the totality zone. They have a system which sends you an email when a cancellation occurs and it worked nicely. Looking forward to this!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #215

I still have about 40 pairs of glasses that I got for my children's school for the Venus transit in 2004. Used them again for the second transit in 2012. I still have an old pair of binoculars that I cut the glasses to fit and taped over the objectives that I used for the second transit and periodically to look at sunspots. I'll take them all with me when I hit the road for this one just in case someone isn't prepared. I'll also look for a nice tree to stand under as the partial portion of the eclipse is cool to look at on the ground as it comes through the foliage.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #216

Just out watching Perseids tonight. Not as many as some years but several very bright ones with good trails. Lucky to have a dark sky location.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #217

The thing that interested me about the eclipse is the very narrow band of totality. This is because the moon is the right size and the right distance from earth in relation to the size of the sun and it's distance from earth. Quite a coincidence really.

Also, the fact that the moon's shadow moves from west to east when most other celestial movement on earth appears from east to west. I believe this is because the moon's orbital speed around the earth is faster than the earths rotational speed. Can anyone confirm this? The earth rotates counterclockwise. (viewing from the north) as does the moon orbit around the earth.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I still have about 40 pairs of glasses that I got for my children's school for the Venus transit in 2004. Used them again for the second transit in 2012.
According to this, you might want to rethink that...

"""To protect your eyes, wear special eclipse glasses, which you can get at many local museums and science centres, or order through websites like the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. NASA says to make sure the glasses have certification information, with a designated ISO 12312-2 international standard. Don’t use them if they’re bent, damaged or more than three years old."""
Old 08-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #219

Speaking of eclipse glasses, it appears that many local places around me (like libraries) are completely out. Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions for buying ISO-certified glasses from retailers? Are places like Target or Walmart selling them?

EDIT: I should've done a quick Google search before posting. Apparently, ISO-approved eclipse glassed can be purchased at several large retailers, such as Kroger, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Toys R Us.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #220

It's going to be tough from here on out. Try Lowe's, although my local store was clean out as of yesterday. Walmart lists them on their web site, and I don't think Target was carrying them.

Don't forget that a shade 14 welding filter is OK; check your local welding supply stores. I have one that I hold up in front of my eyes.

The tried-and-true pinhole projector works well. In the past I've made them using a square of aluminum foil placed in a larger piece of cardboard to project an image on a sheet of white paper, which can also be mounted on something rigid. You can even make one out of a box that you stick your head in, with the image projecting over your shoulder. You might look funny but it actually makes the image easier to see since it's in a darkened enclosure. I've seen some folks misunderstand just how small the pinhole should be, so make sure to make it either with a literal pin, or the tip of a Pentel type mechanical pencil works well.

It's also fun to find a tree with the sun shining through its leaves, which can make hundreds of images of the eclipsed sun. Same thing with the holes in mini blinds if you're indoors, or even a colander. You can also make a tic-tac-toe board using the outstretched fingers of both hands held at a right angle.

Finally, if you are fortunate enough to see totality you don't need a filter for that. The filter is only for the boring parts partial phases.