Total solar eclipse 2017

Another thing that wasn't as apocalyptic as many imagined: eye injuries.

Not that I searched real hard, but from what I can tell, there were thousands of broken bones and sprains from goofballs trying to walk in their eclipse glasses, but only a handful of people with any detectable retinal damage. Most of those will completely recover.

Another thing that wasn't as apocalyptic as many imagined: eye injuries.

Not that I searched real hard, but from what I can tell, there were thousands of broken bones and sprains from goofballs trying to walk in their eclipse glasses, but only a handful of people with any detectable retinal damage. Most of those will completely recover.

I had my dog with me during the eclipse. I had a couple of people ask about eye protection for the dog... It was probably the safest sun the dog could look at, as it was not 100% some of the time. And dogs are not curious enough to look at the sun anyway.

There are reports of bozos presenting to urgent care with sunscreen on their eyeballs. Personally I think that has a pretty good likelihood of being an urban legend.

One website said to please stop forwarding pictures of dogs wearing eclipse glasses as they already had thousands.

I forget the source but there was a list of FAQs that included things like, "no,your pets don't need glasses," and "no, there is no need to wear eclipse glasses while watching it on TV". Having helped with many public astronomical events over the years, I have no problem believing those.

2024 eclipse is coming right in my backyard.
You can all park on my lawn if we can get RobbieB to BBQ and Brewer to supply a keg or three.

there were thousands of broken bones and sprains from goofballs trying to walk in their eclipse glasses
Personally, I could not see my hand in front of my face with those eclipse glasses on. I could see the sun when I looked at it, but honestly I could not see anything else whatsoever. I can't imagine trying to walk under those conditions. It's amazing what people will try to do.

Back
Top Bottom