Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Around Casper and central Whyomin, there is scadoodles of BLM land folks.
That's right, this land is your land...this land is my land....and you as US
citizens can just plop down right there on YOUR public land. FWIW I think
the current limit for staying is 14 days then you must move your location of
plop downing. Lots and lots of wide open room.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Total solar eclipse 2017
Old 09-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Total solar eclipse 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
Around Casper and central Whyomin, there is scadoodles of BLM land folks.
That's right, this land is your land...this land is my land....and you as US
citizens can just plop down right there on YOUR public land. FWIW I think
the current limit for staying is 14 days then you must move your location of
plop downing. Lots and lots of wide open room.

We recently returned from a 10-day RV trip in WY and loved it! We were off-grid without electricity or water or sewer and intermittent cell phone during that time. Lots of wide open space from which to view the solar eclipse.

The forest service (and BLM I think) refer to this as dispersed camping. Find a wide, level spot off the road and set up your site. Highly recommend it!

On a related note... If you want to research forest service and BLM areas via a DeLorme Gazeteer Atlas, here's a link for up to 50% discount. I bought a dozen or so Gazeteers recently and the coupon took 50% off before S & H.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/delorme.com

Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thought it would be worth a bump as only 6 weeks to go. Trying to decide on whether to go to vicinity of Columbia, SC or Columbia, MO to watch eclipse. Have others who are planning to get in the path got their plans made.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Plans are in place. Got the glasses, and we will be camping just south of Mineola, MO. Can't wait.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I will be in Wyoming. Base will be Sheridan, just trying to decide if 95% eclipse is good enough or if I want to drive south to Casper for the full effect. Or maybe over to Worland, which might be a tad less crowded.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just moved near Portland. Thought of camping a little south to be right in the path, but all campgrounds are booked. I'll settle for 98.5%
Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Another useful link (hope I'm not duplicating earlier information)

NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21 ...
This might also be a duplicate, but it shows the % and duration anywhere you might be:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...map/index.html

I can get ~ 86% and still near 2 minutes from start to finish from my yard, good enough for me!

-ERD50
Old 07-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just so you know, anything less than 100% is not at ALL the same thing. I've been told solar eclipses have sound. Partial eclipses sound like "hmmmm, that's kinda neat." Total eclipses sound like "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! THIS IS SO COOL!!"

Then again, you will be joining several hundred thousands of your dearest friends anywhere along the line of totality. News reports say that police, park rangers, and other officials are advising people to have food and water on hand and be ready to camp in their vehicles.

I'll be in Oregon with a tour company that specializes in eclipse travel. Hopefully, they're prepared.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Just so you know, anything less than 100% is not at ALL the same thing. I've been told solar eclipses have sound. Partial eclipses sound like "hmmmm, that's kinda neat." Total eclipses sound like "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! THIS IS SO COOL!!"

Then again, you will be joining several hundred thousands of your dearest friends anywhere along the line of totality. News reports say that police, park rangers, and other officials are advising people to have food and water on hand and be ready to camp in their vehicles.

I'll be in Oregon with a tour company that specializes in eclipse travel. Hopefully, they're prepared.
It is rather mind-boggling that the optical size (I think that's the right term? apparent size?) of our Sun and Moon are almost exactly the same.

I know, coincidence and all that (there are 'billions and billions' of stars of different apparent sizes), but still!

-ERD50
Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We are going to Land Between The Lakes, KY. I rented a cottage last year for this event. Our daughter, her husband and our granddaughter will be joining us and bringing their boat, our son from OH will be joining us, my brother from KY is joining us and possibly his wife and my sister from CT. Can't wait!
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Total solar eclipse 2017
Old 07-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Total solar eclipse 2017

Dropping off one son for his first year of college in Greenville SC on 18th - 19th of August but have to rush back home to take his twin to his college in upstate NY on the 22nd. Bummed to miss it.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

My plan is to go to my fathers house in MO. However, I will be checking the weather and may need to go somewhere else. If the weather doesn't look 100% - plan B:

I live in MI and my plan is to go to Indianapolis the day before. From there, I can go south to Nashville or west to south of St. Louis and make a day trip out of it. It will be a long day, but in about 4 hours, I can get to a couple pretty different spots where hopefully one will have cooperation from the weather. Then, drive back far enough to get a room and head home the next day.

I don't see any point in securing a room/accommodations in a fixed area given the risk of weather and I'm sure any establishment is double or triple charging. It will look as cool in a Walmart parking lot as it will from anywhere else.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #53

We'll be Germany.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #54

I just booked a room at the Super 8 in Kearney, MO. $85. 100% obscuration.

Thank you for the reminder. If I was working, I would never have done it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Wow. We will drive about 6 minutes south of home to the totality line. Maybe park in a little hilltop cemetery about 100 yards south of the line. Probably will have breakfast, lunch and dinner, likely will have wine or mixed drinks. Granted, it's not Sunriver and I'm not Professor Whosiwhatsis, but $2900/each? Think of the money we're saving!

Thanks OP - great heads up!
Well prof Whoiswhatsis is going to have to do some fast talking. Because Sunriver is not in the path of totality. And if he thinks they are going to take a leisurly drive to scenic Madras the morning of the eclipse they might make the North end of Bend before gridlock occurs. However they may elect my super duper partial eclipse program. Only $250/head. You get to stand in my back yard for exactly 1 hour. An additional $12.50/minute charge may apply. This can be paid in (good) whiskey or wine of a certain age
Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #56

My cousin booked a campsite in Madras OR. We're flying into Portland a couple of days before and camping the night before, joining him. The campsite is in the total eclipse path. DS has to fly out that afternoon. It will be a zoo.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #57

I can drive about 6 hours south and stay with a friend who is an hour from the full path, or I can fly and visit family who are actually in the full path. Weather is the big factor, of course, plus trying to decide if it's worth it.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #58

Looks like Columbia, MO is a slightly better bet in terms of chance of cloud cover. Also slightly closer than Columbia, SC for me. I wonder if anyone has modeled traffic forecasts for different areas?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #59

Here's a good map of future eclipses. You put in your age and it shows you the total eclipses in the world up to your 100th birthday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.0d01de8b7d27

So, in my lifetime, this is the closest one to where I live now, but in 7 years there will be one that comes through Mexico into Texas and heads northeast above NYC--not much further away. Another one will go coast to coast in 2045, a bit south of this year's eclipse. Two others, in 2044 (north central/Rockies from what I can tell) and 2052 (tip of Florida) are it for the US in my 100 years.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Have had our reservations on the Oregon coast since September 2016!