Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be watching it from Lathrop, MO. A town of 2,000 people that is supposed to grow to 25,000. It is ~30 miles from Kansas City.

They have buses from KC and Des Moines, but I will be driving. Lots of activities there, it is also their 150 anniversary.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

I may do this. It's a +5 hour drive to Carbondale, Illinois, where the greatest duration is. I want to photograph it, but I want to catch some interesting landscape with the eclipse. But the eclipse takes place in this area around noon, making the sun high in the sky. Maybe too high to catch some landscape in the same photo.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the couch reserved in Casper.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Have had our reservations on the Oregon coast since September 2016!

+1. But expecting traffic to be crazy.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2re View Post
+1. But expecting traffic to be crazy.
Oh Yes indeed.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Just moved near Portland. Thought of camping a little south to be right in the path, but all campgrounds are booked. I'll settle for 98.5%
Why not drive a bit south that morning? I know there's likely to be a lot of traffic, but you could give yourself a couple hours buffer and grab breakfast somewhere, and pack some food in case you do get caught in traffic. If you want to see the full eclipse, which I understand to be quite a bit more of an experience than even 98.5%.

That's my plan, if the weather looks good. I'll see if I can book something right in the path, but if I can't, I'll book in one of the larger cities not far from it (Charlotte or Knoxville) and drive the rest of the way in the morning. The eclipse doesn't even start until 1pm where I'm looking in the east.

Maybe I'm underestimating the traffic. I just checked Columbia, Greenville and Anderson SC, which are pretty close to the center of the path. Some places sold out, but a lot still available, though at a 50-100% markup.
RunningBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Why not drive a bit south that morning?.............
Yea, if it was just me, I'd do it. DW has a lot of intertia...
Old 07-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, if it was just me, I'd do it. DW has a lot of intertia...
Ditch her! I'd expect someone who goes by travelover to be able to go on the move quite easily!

If you're in a caregiver situation for DW, please disregard as I don't intend to be insensitive.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Ditch her! I'd expect someone who goes by travelover to be able to go on the move quite easily!

If you're in a caregiver situation for DW, please disregard as I don't intend to be insensitive.
She makes up for it in other ways. Our eclipse is at 9 AM-ish and we are north of Portland. Traffic is terrible crossing the bridges at morning rush hour, so we'd have to be out of here by 6 AM to miss it. Starts sounding like a bit of a hassle.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Will be one of the last people in the US to see it - standing on the beach in Charleston.....
Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #71

Hope you are cloud free on the beach in SC. That would be spectacular.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #72

We just booked a hotel in Kansas City for the whole weekend, which is an 8-hour drive from where we live in Texas. We also bought a $20 parking pass at the airport in St Joseph, MO, which is exactly on the centerline. It's normally about a one hour drive north from Kansas City. Plan is to leave the hotel about 5am in hopes of beating the gridlock on I-29. It starts at 11:40, so I think we'll make it... unless the entire population of Kansas City has the same plan.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
We just booked a hotel in Kansas City for the whole weekend, which is an 8-hour drive from where we live in Texas. We also bought a $20 parking pass at the airport in St Joseph, MO, which is exactly on the centerline. It's normally about a one hour drive north from Kansas City. Plan is to leave the hotel about 5am in hopes of beating the gridlock on I-29. It starts at 11:40, so I think we'll make it... unless the entire population of Kansas City has the same plan.
You should be fine, I lived there 38 years. I've driven that in way less time!😂 Even World Series or Presidential visits wouldn't make you late. Your location in KC matters, downtown is closer to the airport then JOCO, Kansas, it will take a little longer. Still you should be early.

Are you tailgating first?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #74

I waited too long to book in Oregon, so I am taking a different route - fly to New Orleans on the 19th, hop on Amtrak "City of New Orleans" to Carbondale, IL. In town from 0311 to 1615, then hop on Amtrak "Saluki" to Chicago, fly home the next morning
Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Thought it would be worth a bump as only 6 weeks to go. Trying to decide on whether to go to vicinity of Columbia, SC or Columbia, MO to watch eclipse. Have others who are planning to get in the path got their plans made.

I will be heading to Columbia SC from the Charlotte NC area. About a 2 hour drive.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I waited too long to book in Oregon, so I am taking a different route - fly to New Orleans on the 19th, hop on Amtrak "City of New Orleans" to Carbondale, IL. In town from 0311 to 1615, then hop on Amtrak "Saluki" to Chicago, fly home the next morning
That's an interesting idea. Shouldn't have the traffic issues that driving will have if you can get into the middle of it, though you'd likely want a car to be flexible. I could catch the Crescent on Sunday night, arrive in Greenville SC in the morning, and catch the train back that evening. I'll have to think about that. If it was just me I'd probably book it since it can be cancelled, but my son is going to try to go too, and the overnight Monday night may not work for him.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
You should be fine, I lived there 38 years. I've driven that in way less time!😂 Even World Series or Presidential visits wouldn't make you late. Your location in KC matters, downtown is closer to the airport then JOCO, Kansas, it will take a little longer. Still you should be early.

Are you tailgating first?
No grilling planned, but we'll have plenty of food and drinks on hand. If you're right about traffic, then we'll be there around the time they open at 6am. And we probably won't leave until about 3pm. So it's going to be a long day.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #78

We are lucky. Backyard; 100%; 2 minutes, 21 seconds, just about 130 p.m. And just three weeks after retiring...

Glasses purchased, Fingers crossed for no clouds/rain (30-40% historic cloud cover area).

Maybe break out a bottle of aged sauternes?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

We won't see the total eclipse from here in New Orleans, but IIRC around 75%-80%. We have no intention of traveling to see it.

Frank bought some special glasses for each of us, to protect our eyes as we watch from his back yard. He also bought some sort of filter or something for his telescope.

I'm less optimistic than he is, and expect heavy clouds and rain. But we will have fun no matter what the weather. We always do.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post

I will be at the Super 8 Kansas City, 4321 N Corrington Ave, Kansas City, MO 64117. Plan on heading to Lathrop, MO, only 30 miles away. It is right on the center line too, just a few miles off I35. And on my way home back to MN.

Lathrop, MO is also having their 150th anniversary, so it should be pretty festive. They are only ~2,000 in population, expected to grow to 25,000, and parking is cheap at the antique grounds. Of course, I suspect there is plenty of free parking at any of the side roads and farms in the area, if you wanted. They even have shuttles from KC and Des Moines.

https://www.lathropeclipse.com/

They even have a 20 second video of a full eclipse. Anything other than a full eclipse is like kissing your sister from what I have read. It's like going to a concert and seeing the warm up band, but leaving before the main event.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote