Total solar eclipse 2017

I dunno. That seems more like watching it on TV to me, rather than experiencing the eclipse.

I'm hoping to catch it while being in the high Sierra on the Pacific Crest Trail. Should be decent viewing although I'd have to be further up in Oregon to catch the full effect.

Going to be in Park City Ut for month of August and the map shows we should get about 95% of the effect. That's close enough for me.

They are talking about mayhem at some of the sites that will be 100%. I don't do mayhem very well.:nonono:

We are at one of the epicenters of this crazy event. Wife and I are going to hide. Saw one in 1978.

Thought about it last year & looked at renting a room at H. Inn in Hopkinsville, KY for $95. Didn't. Looked again two weeks later & it was $500. Net, will be in Germany instead.

Our state just agreed to activate the National Guard to handle the crowds. The panic has set in.

I dont remember that last celestial cosmic picture taking event, but it was about 2 years ago. My wife goes out side and the neighbor is his lawn with all kinds of camera equipment. He has maybe 8 people all oohing and ahhing. Unless its a meteor heading for earth I could careless. Anyhow, I ask them if they would like to come up to our balcony with is above the treeline for a better view. The charge up to the balcony, the neighbor with the $ thousands in photo equipment takes up space on our the lower deck. It was like Christmas for them. I got a ton of enjoyment watching them have fun. A few days (maybe a week?) later a bottle of wine and a thank you note showed up for us. Maybe , I'll mention this thing, might be a case of Champagne in it for me this time!

We are at one of the epicenters of this crazy event. Wife and I are going to hide. Saw one in 1978.
If you're in Beaverton as your profile says, you should be fine since that's not in the total eclipse path. Lots of traffic on the highways of people trying to get further south, but nobody is going to be camping in your front yard or swarming your street. Worst case, treat it like a snow day and limit yourself to neighborhood travel.

There are many areas outside the total eclipse area where the sun will be covered 80%+ and they are not so expensive.

I bet Bonnie Tyler is going to have a real spike in royalty payments next August.

That toddlin' town Charleston has turned it into an excuse to party.
There are several locations to choose from, starting with a half dozen Rooftop Bars --

On the Deck of the USS Yorktown....
https://www.patriotspoint.org/news-and-events/event/eclipse-on-a-warship/

Out on the Soccer Pitch.....
Solar Eclipse Viewing Party | Charleston Events & Charleston Event Calendar

Even the local Baseball Team is getting into the act....
Eclipse Baseball Game | Charleston Events & Charleston Event Calendar

On the Ashley Riverfront, including a live Band a live Astronaut with NASA high altitude balloon feed....
The Bend Announces a Free Solar Eclipse Celebration in North Charleston – August 21 | Charleston Daily

Ocean Front Beach in Isle of Palms, the last spot on Earth to see it....
The Great American Eclipse - Isle of Palms

Last edited:
Our state just agreed to activate the National Guard to handle the crowds. The panic has set in.

OK, Thanks for the warning, I will stay home. I'll listen to the rebroadcast of Orson Well's War Of The Worlds. That also caused some panic. Ill save on the the price of hotels. Next time its cloudy out during the day and the sun gets blocked out Ill look up. I might pass on this info to my neighbor who might very well be packing up his lenses as we speak. Ill water his plants if he has any. Ill even look after his turtle that I almost gave away to animal control. lol

There are many areas outside the total eclipse area where the sun will be covered 80%+ and they are not so expensive.
Everything I've been hearing and reading says that it's pretty much an all or nothing experience. With the partial, you can use the special glasses or a pinhole in cardboard trick to see the sun being partially eclipsed, but it's nothing at all like the total eclipse. I can recall being pretty unimpressed with the partial eclipse of 1970.

Whether it's worth the time, cost and hassle to see the total eclipse is up to the individual. Carly Simon may think I'm vain, but I'm planning to see it, though I'm not traveling via Lear jet.

Everything I've been hearing and reading says that it's pretty much an all or nothing experience. With the partial, you can use the special glasses or a pinhole in cardboard trick to see the sun being partially eclipsed, but it's nothing at all like the total eclipse. I can recall being pretty unimpressed with the partial eclipse of 1970.

How partial is partial?

Some areas will have over 90% of the sun blocked. From the Canadian border to the California border there will be quite a bit of the sun blocked out. Personally, having 90% of the mid day sunlight gone will be a very interesting experience. Check out your zip code below:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

Last edited:
I dunno. That seems more like watching it on TV to me, rather than experiencing the eclipse.

Agreed. The most impressive parts of a total (besides the sudden darkness) are the sudden temperature drop and the sudden total silence of the birds other animals. You have to be there to believe it. Only at total.

Whether it's worth the time, cost and hassle to see the total eclipse is up to the individual. Carly Simon may think I'm vain, but I'm planning to see it, though I'm not traveling via Lear jet.

Where I am sitting right now gets 99% obscuration. Maybe if you are Neil degrasse Tyson or have a light meter you might be obsessed to find a difference between 99% and 100%. I am not so compelled. I doubt anyone will know.

ref Carly Simon. I am thinking of Peggy Lee's final record to make the charts: "Is That All There Is?"

I thought science was supposed to take all the "OOOH! OOOH!" out of this stuff? I was in Northern Utah in the early 90's. I don't know the exact amount of obscuration but it was significant. Did not get dark. You could see all around but it was still kind of weird and spooky. Temperature plummeted, and things got quiet. I suspect 99% will be indistinguishable from 100%

Doesn't really take a scientist to tell the difference in the center image of the sun in this sequence.

Attachments

• 2008-08-01_Solar_eclipse_progression_with_timestamps.jpg
    2008-08-01_Solar_eclipse_progression_with_timestamps.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 32
Another image of totality, followed by an image of an 84% partial. The 98% partial will look almost the same, only thinner. You'll still need eye protection to see it.

Attachments

• white_light_corona.jpg
    white_light_corona.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 26
  • T06-1176-1w.JPG
    T06-1176-1w.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 28
How partial is partial?

Some areas will have over 90% of the sun blocked. From the Canadian border to the California border there will be quite a bit of the sun blocked out. Personally, having 90% of the mid day sunlight gone will be a very interesting experience. Check out your zip code below:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map
The partial I saw was probably less than 80%, but I was 8 so I can't recall for sure. From what I'm told, 90% partial is not 90% the eclipse experience, but again, that's up to the individual. I'm not looking to add to the chaos, so by all means, watch from the fringe and enjoy. I'm hoping it's clear throughout the eastern US, to spread out the crowds. If it looks like only certain areas will have clear skies, I'll likely skip as too many people will jam into that area. Unless it's the place I already have a train ticket to.

Agreed. The most impressive parts of a total (besides the sudden darkness) are the sudden temperature drop and the sudden total silence of the birds other animals. You have to be there to believe it. Only at total.
I'm thinking to watch from the zoo to experience how the animals react as I think that will be fascinating too. Kind of hoping that zoo admission will limit crowds somewhat too, but maybe too many others will have my idea.

That's a great idea! Have a recorder running or a recording app on your phone.

I'm in Portland and the eclipse is 99.6% at my location. Not quite totality, but then I don't need to drive anywhere and experience the crowds and gridlock that is predicted. Of course we want clear skies to experience this event and sometimes the Oregon coast is overcast all day.

Long range forecast is 100% clouds across entire USA path on Aug. 21. But could change.

lol. What are the statistical chances of that? I would think very (very, very) low. In some places along the track getting the forecast correct for tomorrow in August is a challenge. I can't imagine a professional meteorologist making such a prediction.

And to powerplay, as has been mentioned in the thread above, the difference between 99.6 and 100% is almost literally day and night. Worth the short drive to the path of totality if you are at all interested.

Back
Top Bottom