Total solar eclipse 2017

GalaxyBoy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else planning on seeing next year's total eclipse on August 21, 2017 visible from the continental US? I'm planning on being footloose and RE by then so will have great flexibility to get to the best place. Getting darn late to make reservations though.

Information at the following web sites:

EclipseWise - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21
http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

Can't predict daily weather a year out but you can consider climate data and averages. So far I'm leaning towards the Tetons or maybe further east in Wyoming. I also plan on laying out a decent vacation even if it rains. Also expecting hordes of people and potential gridlock.

It's been on my calendar for years. Before I set my retirement date, the plan was to be retired before the eclipse.

I tried to book a timeshare in Jackson Hole at that time--all gone. Hotel rooms $600/night. I got a place in Bend, OR which isn't too far from the central zone. We have no idea what we'll do with the rest of the timeshare week. My thinking is inland western US is almost certain to have clear skies. In the east you take your chances.

Yeah, if you live near it and have extra rooms, you could make a killing renting out your space.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Wow, I didn't even know about it.
Looks like the point of greatest eclipse is in southwest Kentucky, which would be about a five hour drive from my home. Definitely on my calendar now. Thanks.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to take this day off if I'm still w*rking. It is a bit of a drive, but I don't care where I end up in totality, so I'll probably hit the back roads down to SC, starting in the wee hours of the morning. I expect gridlock on the interstate since the population density is high along the coast, and we'll have a lot of northerners funneling on the interstate.

My, my, aren't we the optimistic one!:LOL:

There isn't much future in being pessimistic about your lifespan. Think about it. :)

I'll be 77 at the time, which is just a little above average - and I've always been above average...just a little.

Last edited:
We were in Hawaii this past winter, including time in Maui during the eclipse in early March. While it wasn't planned that way, I was excited once I found out! We had a western facing ocean view condo on the 3rd floor to see over/through the trees, and were set to watch. Out of the whole month we spent on four islands, the worst front blew in for a few hours, with total cloud coverage and rain in our area, during the time of the eclilpse :( Got so dark that you couldn't even tell when eclipse happened. Didn't look up the details, but IIRC our area was something like 75%.

That said, we live not far off the path but might consider being somewhere else at that time of year, and will select a location with that in mind. :)

What's your weather forecast for 4/8/24?

Might not be a bad idea to see next year's version just in case.

What's your weather forecast for 4/8/24?

Might not be a bad idea to see next year's version just in case.

Whats the weather forecast for central MO on 8/21/17?

I'll be a lot less disappointed if it is overcast above my back deck than if it is overcast after driving for 15 hours. :)

Witnessed the one in Europe several years back.

The interesting part was not so much the sun as it was what was happening around us.

Temperature drop and all the wildlife/birds/insects etc .. suddenly became dead quiet.

Eerie.

Witnessed the one in Europe several years back.

The interesting part was not so much the sun as it was what was happening around us.

Temperature drop and all the wildlife/birds/insects etc .. suddenly became dead quiet.

Eerie.

Exactly. That has been my experience whenever I've been lucky enough to observe an eclipse.

I live about 1 hour outside the Totality Zone. I wonder how close to total I'd see if I didn't drive the hour?

So, I take this information and go to load it into my pop-up calendar so I don't forget it and was surprised to see it already logged. I must have heard about it some time ago and logged it then.

If you only have an hour to drive, then you should drive. And drive early. With a cooler with food and drink in it to a big place with a lot of parking.

Thanks for the reminder. I read about this a while back, but now is the time to put it on the calendar.

We regularly camp at friend's farm, south of Danville, MO, that looks like it will have almost 2 minutes of totality!

We just lost a dear friend today, who was always there for the fun. Sounds like a fantastic way to remember her 1 year from today.

It's on my calendar. My go to location will be Casper Wyoming. The eclipse there will be 146 seconds of total darkness starting at 11:43am on 8/21/17. http://www.eclipsecasper.com/

Plan to crash on DB's couch or at least pitch a tent in his backyard. (he doesn't know this yet.)

Thanks for the heads up! Should be able to get a ways of the SC coast in the boat.

It's on my calendar. My go to location will be Casper Wyoming. The eclipse there will be 146 seconds of total darkness starting at 11:43am on 8/21/17. http://www.eclipsecasper.com/

Plan to crash on DB's couch or at least pitch a tent in his backyard. (he doesn't know this yet.)

I'm looking seriously at Casper as well. Almost no rooms left in town already, for those of us without family in the area.:)

If you've seen one eclipse, then you've seen them all. Haven't y'all seen these things before?

If you've seen one eclipse, then you've seen them all. Haven't y'all seen these things before?

I have seen 2 or 3 near totals. I don;t know what the official percentage was though. I do remember it getting dark-ish, the temp dropping like a rock, and birds got real quiet. But of course, those were not **TOTAL**.

Since the total-zone is only an hour or so away if I am still around by then Yes I do want to see one. I've seen some people get almost killed before too but never actually killed right in front of me

We have Son1's wedding at a Yosemite Lodge the weekend before; we'll see if we make it back home that quick--Gallatin TN is expected to have 2 2/3 minutes of totality and just 1/2 hour away. Thinking about maybe going out on a (likely-still-working) friend's boat to watch it from the lake.

Back
Top Bottom