Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
It's on my calendar. My go to location will be Casper Wyoming. The eclipse there will be 146 seconds of total darkness starting at 11:43am on 8/21/17. http://www.eclipsecasper.com/

Plan to crash on DB's couch or at least pitch a tent in his backyard. (he doesn't know this yet.)
I'm looking seriously at Casper as well. Almost no rooms left in town already, for those of us without family in the area.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you've seen one eclipse, then you've seen them all. Haven't y'all seen these things before?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
If you've seen one eclipse, then you've seen them all. Haven't y'all seen these things before?
I have seen 2 or 3 near totals. I don;t know what the official percentage was though. I do remember it getting dark-ish, the temp dropping like a rock, and birds got real quiet. But of course, those were not **TOTAL**.

Since the total-zone is only an hour or so away if I am still around by then Yes I do want to see one. I've seen some people get almost killed before too but never actually killed right in front of me
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #24

We have Son1's wedding at a Yosemite Lodge the weekend before; we'll see if we make it back home that quick--Gallatin TN is expected to have 2 2/3 minutes of totality and just 1/2 hour away. Thinking about maybe going out on a (likely-still-working) friend's boat to watch it from the lake.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

This is not for budget-minded folks, but there are many ways to pay to have it all done for you. And with this one, the professor is outstanding!

Total Solar Eclipse: Oregon | CAA
plsprius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I was planning a trip up to MO to see this until I discovered there would be another total eclipse in 2024: NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08

Since the 2024 eclipse will pass over my house, I think I'll wait and plan on sitting on my deck to watch the event.
+1 .... this one is much closer to home. Total eclipse for about 2 minutes around 7:30 pm.

No total eclipse here for the 2017 eclipse, just a partial eclipse.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I'm looking seriously at Casper as well. Almost no rooms left in town already, for those of us without family in the area.
Have you checked other towns like Douglas and Wheatland, and then drive an hour or so to Casper?
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'll be 77 at the time, which is just a little above average - and I've always been above average...just a little.
Oh. For some reason I had you pegged at mid-seventies now. Oops.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

There was a partial solar eclipse at sunset a few years ago. I was sailing and had an almost unobstructed view of the horizon towards sunset over land. I had forgotten that there was supposed to be the eclipse and thought, "Wow, that big water tower has partially blocked the sunset. Looks cool."
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #30

This thread gave me a flashback to 1970 and grammar school, we made pinhole projectors to view a major partial eclipse for a science project. Good memory.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #31

There are lots of places in the southeast to see it. Seems like if you really wanted to do it right, you'd have weather contingency plans. Start with the average cloud cover along the route for that time of year, pick a few spots, and the day before, pick your location. Do any of those eclipse sites have weather data?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just booked a hotel in Charleston as a backup.
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
There are lots of places in the southeast to see it. Seems like if you really wanted to do it right, you'd have weather contingency plans. Start with the average cloud cover along the route for that time of year, pick a few spots, and the day before, pick your location. Do any of those eclipse sites have weather data?
As a matter of fact, there's a site devoted to the subject.

Prospects for the southeast are the worst along the track, although statistically it clears up as you get near the SC coast. But as you say, one must keep a weather eye out in the days leading up to the event and be ready to adjust accordingly.

Eclipsophile | Climatology and weather for celestial events
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile
Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Smile

If anyone wants to meet me, I'll be at 44.2928N, 116.0823W at 17:27:41UTC on 20170821.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #35

There is still time to repent and save yourselves!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plsprius View Post
This is not for budget-minded folks, but there are many ways to pay to have it all done for you. And with this one, the professor is outstanding!

Total Solar Eclipse: Oregon | CAA

Wow. We will drive about 6 minutes south of home to the totality line. Maybe park in a little hilltop cemetery about 100 yards south of the line. Probably will have breakfast, lunch and dinner, likely will have wine or mixed drinks. Granted, it's not Sunriver and I'm not Professor Whosiwhatsis, but $2900/each? Think of the money we're saving!

Thanks OP - great heads up!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I live about 6.5 miles from the Garden of the Gods in southern Illinois. We are having an eclipse party. It's a great excuse to get the kids and other family together.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:43 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Y'all come on down to Charleston, I got plenty of tent space in the yard!
Sengsational, you are overdue for some tent time--no cushy RV this time!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another useful link (hope I'm not duplicating earlier information)

NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21

I suspect DW and I will be out in the Airstream somewhere to participate. Don't know yet if we'll be somewhere in the southeast (perhaps Charleston) or somewhere in the center of the country. The center of the country may give us more options if we find ourselves needing a "plan B" -desiring better (less cloudy) weather conditions.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #40

I booked a week at a 3-bedroom cottage lake-side at Land-Between-The-Lakes (we live in KY) to accommodate my DH & I, our daughter, her husband, their 3-yr-old, the 2 step-grandsons (assuming they are available. One is in college and the other just enlisted in the marines) and my grown but unmarried son. We will be right in the path of 100% totality and we are praying for a clear day. Our daughter and her husband also have a ski boat and kayaks (and possibly jet ski) so we should be set for a fun and interesting week.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote