Total solar eclipse 2017

I was planning a trip up to MO to see this until I discovered there would be another total eclipse in 2024: NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08

Since the 2024 eclipse will pass over my house, I think I'll wait and plan on sitting on my deck to watch the event.

+1 .... this one is much closer to home. Total eclipse for about 2 minutes around 7:30 pm.

No total eclipse here for the 2017 eclipse, just a partial eclipse.

Last edited:
I'm looking seriously at Casper as well. Almost no rooms left in town already, for those of us without family in the area.:)

Have you checked other towns like Douglas and Wheatland, and then drive an hour or so to Casper?

There was a partial solar eclipse at sunset a few years ago. I was sailing and had an almost unobstructed view of the horizon towards sunset over land. I had forgotten that there was supposed to be the eclipse and thought, "Wow, that big water tower has partially blocked the sunset. Looks cool."

This thread gave me a flashback to 1970 and grammar school, we made pinhole projectors to view a major partial eclipse for a science project. Good memory.

There are lots of places in the southeast to see it. Seems like if you really wanted to do it right, you'd have weather contingency plans. Start with the average cloud cover along the route for that time of year, pick a few spots, and the day before, pick your location. Do any of those eclipse sites have weather data?

There are lots of places in the southeast to see it. Seems like if you really wanted to do it right, you'd have weather contingency plans. Start with the average cloud cover along the route for that time of year, pick a few spots, and the day before, pick your location. Do any of those eclipse sites have weather data?

As a matter of fact, there's a site devoted to the subject.

Prospects for the southeast are the worst along the track, although statistically it clears up as you get near the SC coast. But as you say, one must keep a weather eye out in the days leading up to the event and be ready to adjust accordingly.

Eclipsophile | Climatology and weather for celestial events

If anyone wants to meet me, I'll be at 44.2928N, 116.0823W at 17:27:41UTC on 20170821. :dance:

This is not for budget-minded folks, but there are many ways to pay to have it all done for you. And with this one, the professor is outstanding!

Total Solar Eclipse: Oregon | CAA

Wow. We will drive about 6 minutes south of home to the totality line. Maybe park in a little hilltop cemetery about 100 yards south of the line. Probably will have breakfast, lunch and dinner, likely will have wine or mixed drinks. Granted, it's not Sunriver and I'm not Professor Whosiwhatsis, but $2900/each? Think of the money we're saving!

Thanks OP - great heads up!

I live about 6.5 miles from the Garden of the Gods in southern Illinois. We are having an eclipse party. It's a great excuse to get the kids and other family together.

Y'all come on down to Charleston, I got plenty of tent space in the yard!
Sengsational, you are overdue for some tent time--no cushy RV this time! :)

Another useful link (hope I'm not duplicating earlier information)

NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21

I suspect DW and I will be out in the Airstream somewhere to participate. Don't know yet if we'll be somewhere in the southeast (perhaps Charleston) or somewhere in the center of the country. The center of the country may give us more options if we find ourselves needing a "plan B" -desiring better (less cloudy) weather conditions.

I booked a week at a 3-bedroom cottage lake-side at Land-Between-The-Lakes (we live in KY) to accommodate my DH & I, our daughter, her husband, their 3-yr-old, the 2 step-grandsons (assuming they are available. One is in college and the other just enlisted in the marines) and my grown but unmarried son. We will be right in the path of 100% totality and we are praying for a clear day. Our daughter and her husband also have a ski boat and kayaks (and possibly jet ski) so we should be set for a fun and interesting week.

Around Casper and central Whyomin, there is scadoodles of BLM land folks.
That's right, this land is your land...this land is my land....and you as US
citizens can just plop down right there on YOUR public land. FWIW I think
the current limit for staying is 14 days then you must move your location of
plop downing. Lots and lots of wide open room.:angel:

Around Casper and central Whyomin, there is scadoodles of BLM land folks.
That's right, this land is your land...this land is my land....and you as US
citizens can just plop down right there on YOUR public land. FWIW I think
the current limit for staying is 14 days then you must move your location of
plop downing. Lots and lots of wide open room.:angel:

We recently returned from a 10-day RV trip in WY and loved it! We were off-grid without electricity or water or sewer and intermittent cell phone during that time. Lots of wide open space from which to view the solar eclipse.

The forest service (and BLM I think) refer to this as dispersed camping. Find a wide, level spot off the road and set up your site. Highly recommend it!

On a related note... If you want to research forest service and BLM areas via a DeLorme Gazeteer Atlas, here's a link for up to 50% discount. I bought a dozen or so Gazeteers recently and the coupon took 50% off before S & H.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/delorme.com

Last edited:
Thought it would be worth a bump as only 6 weeks to go. Trying to decide on whether to go to vicinity of Columbia, SC or Columbia, MO to watch eclipse. Have others who are planning to get in the path got their plans made.

Eclipse-Times.jpg

Plans are in place. Got the glasses, and we will be camping just south of Mineola, MO. Can't wait.

I will be in Wyoming. Base will be Sheridan, just trying to decide if 95% eclipse is good enough or if I want to drive south to Casper for the full effect. Or maybe over to Worland, which might be a tad less crowded.

Just moved near Portland. Thought of camping a little south to be right in the path, but all campgrounds are booked. I'll settle for 98.5%

Just so you know, anything less than 100% is not at ALL the same thing. I've been told solar eclipses have sound. Partial eclipses sound like "hmmmm, that's kinda neat." Total eclipses sound like "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! THIS IS SO COOL!!"

Then again, you will be joining several hundred thousands of your dearest friends anywhere along the line of totality. News reports say that police, park rangers, and other officials are advising people to have food and water on hand and be ready to camp in their vehicles.

I'll be in Oregon with a tour company that specializes in eclipse travel. Hopefully, they're prepared.

Just so you know, anything less than 100% is not at ALL the same thing. I've been told solar eclipses have sound. Partial eclipses sound like "hmmmm, that's kinda neat." Total eclipses sound like "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! THIS IS SO COOL!!"

Then again, you will be joining several hundred thousands of your dearest friends anywhere along the line of totality. News reports say that police, park rangers, and other officials are advising people to have food and water on hand and be ready to camp in their vehicles.

I'll be in Oregon with a tour company that specializes in eclipse travel. Hopefully, they're prepared.

It is rather mind-boggling that the optical size (I think that's the right term? apparent size?) of our Sun and Moon are almost exactly the same.

I know, coincidence and all that (there are 'billions and billions' of stars of different apparent sizes), but still!

-ERD50

We are going to Land Between The Lakes, KY. I rented a cottage last year for this event. Our daughter, her husband and our granddaughter will be joining us and bringing their boat, our son from OH will be joining us, my brother from KY is joining us and possibly his wife and my sister from CT. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom