Total solar eclipse 2017

Here is a transit of the ISS during the eclipse on the "Smarter Every Day" web site. Pretty cool.

What I don't understand is all these smart people and almost none of them have figured out to build or buy a taller tripod. Instead, they sit on the ground and crane their neck to look through it. Where I was, there was one guy with a really tall tripod and he could just stand up and look right through it with no problems.

BTW, that video was cool. To catch something that small so precisely was remarkable.

We were just north of North Platte, NE. Completely clear skies and we were at totality. The most incredible thing I think I ever saw. Traffic was a mess on I-80 heading home. Nebraska had the freeway down to one lane for construction. ugg.

We were just north of North Platte, NE. Completely clear skies and we were at totality. The most incredible thing I think I ever saw. Traffic was a mess on I-80 heading home. Nebraska had the freeway down to one lane for construction. ugg.

It really is hard to describe, a mystical/magical feeling. Due to the clouds, I only saw the light change, and not the actual totality thing. It was still amazing.

I would rank it right up there with a rocket launch I saw at Kennedy Space Center in January. A nighttime launch, from the closest station that was allowed. If I saw the actual totality without clouds, probably even better.

I drove about 1000 miles up to southern Idaho for the show. Really nice view. I came up a couple days early then hung out an extra day to explore Craters of the Moon before driving home to southern California. No traffic to speak of, but I didn't try to drive anywhere on the 21st. What's the point of being retired if you can't take your time and let other folks slog through traffic?

I disagree with all of those who say/said 92% or 95% of totality is good enough, and not worth driving to see it.

This was my first total eclipse to see, and while it was the same-old, same-old as the moon approached the center, once the sun was completely covered (totality) and you could take the glasses off, the scene was SPECTACULAR. You just can see or experience that unless you are somewhere in the totality because otherwise you can't take the glasses off and look. Really an awesome experience.

We traveled to Charleston and made a vacation out of it - just in case it was cloudy. We took an Uber over the Isle of Palms – they had an event on “Front Beach”.

FIREmenow-
Glad you enjoyed the show...Isle of Palms was, by all accounts, the place to be.

We had planned to drive just down the road to the Ashley River, where North Charleston was putting on their Eclipse Event. At the very moment we backed out of the garage.....the rain started coming down. And the Traffic Report said there was an Accident on Dorchester Road that had blocked all traffic (this should surprise nobody....there's an Accident every day on Dorchester Road).

So we said let's watch it right here, we can see it all from the Golf Course. As the Moon was taking a big bite out of Old Sol, the low clouds parted and we saw the Crescent Sun just to the left of a big Palmetto Tree -- our State Flag.

Nearing Totality, it was getting darker. The neighborhood dogs were barking and some of the critters in the woods were getting jumpy. The Street Lights came on and everything got quiet as we approached The Magic Moment. And then a huge dark cloud rolled over. The rain came down in torrents, completely blacking out the sky. Lightning flashed, and by the quick report of the Thunder....that storm was right on top of us. Our entire neighborhood went scurrying under cover.

It didn't take much imagination to see why ancient civilizations reacted with fear during an Eclipse. When the sky gets dark in middle of the afternoon, and the temperature drops noticeably, and then the Heavens erupt with Thunder & Lightning, you wonder what you've done to get the gods angry.

I have 2 pair of lightly-used Eclipse Glasses ready for the next one in 2024.

Last edited:
I would rank it right up there with a rocket launch I saw at Kennedy Space Center in January. A nighttime launch, from the closest station that was allowed. If I saw the actual totality without clouds, probably even better.

I agree. For man-made events, a nighttime launch of the Space Shuttle comes close. I was inland on one nighttime launch, a good 20 miles away. I still lost my breath during launch. It literally looked like sunrise. It was an unexpected surprise since I had seen a few day launches.

Both events were lifetime memorable.

I suspect in 2024 it will be a lot busier since many (most?) of us will do this again. You'll also get a lot more people to attend who missed out and hear the buzz. I suspect the 99.5% percenters who skipped it will be sure to attend. :)

But now I totally get it. Thinking about Argentina in 2019!

Me too! I've never been to South America, so it seems like the perfect excuse to head down there and check out Chile and Argentina for a few weeks and see a 3+ minute total eclipse all in one epic trip. :)

Me too! I've never been to South America, so it seems like the perfect excuse to head down there and check out Chile and Argentina for a few weeks and see a 3+ minute total eclipse all in one epic trip. :)

If I were going to Chile/Argentina I think I'd prefer the December 2020 eclipse to the July 2019. Even though the 2020 event is only 2 minutes vs. 4 for the 2019, the rest of the trip in December (their June) holds a lot more appeal to me than the one in July (their February).

FIREmenow-
Glad you enjoyed the show...Isle of Palms was, by all accounts, the place to be.

We had planned to drive just down the road to the Ashley River, where North Charleston was putting on their Eclipse Event. At the very moment we backed out of the garage.....the rain started coming down. And the Traffic Report said there was an Accident on Dorchester Road that had blocked all traffic (this should surprise nobody....there's an Accident every day on Dorchester Road).

So we said let's watch it right here, we can see it all from the Golf Course. As the Moon was taking a big bite out of Old Sol, the low clouds parted and we saw the Crescent Sun just to the left of a big Palmetto Tree -- our State Flag.

Nearing Totality, it was getting darker. The neighborhood dogs were barking and some of the critters in the woods were getting jumpy. The Street Lights came on and everything got quiet as we approached The Magic Moment. And then a huge dark cloud rolled over. The rain came down in torrents, completely blacking out the sky. Lightning flashed, and by the quick report of the Thunder....that storm was right on top of us. Our entire neighborhood went scurrying under cover.

It didn't take much imagination to see why ancient civilizations reacted with fear during an Eclipse. When the sky gets dark in middle of the afternoon, and the temperature drops noticeably, and then the Heavens erupt with Thunder & Lightning, you wonder what you've done to get the gods angry.

I have 2 pair of lightly-used Eclipse Glasses ready for the next one in 2024.

WOW. Sorry you got rained out. We saw the lightning and thunderstorms going on out that way. Had a wonderful visit to your area!

Diamond Ring!

It was touch-and-go with the clouds in Franklin, NC, but clear enough to see the "diamond ring" at the end...Mission Accomplished!

Perfectly clear all day, and in the last 10 minutes before totality, there were some high wispy clouds with a few thicker bits. The thicker bits moved in as we got to the tiniest sliver before totality, so the eclipse glasses and binocular projections quit working, but (gasp), if you looked directly it (with the clouds as a filter), it was awesome!

The thicker clouds waned as during the totality and it was spectacular! And we had a glorious "diamond ring" effect at the end. Very cool.

I knew post-eclipse traffic would be bad, so although we didn't have a hotel for the night, I wasn't worried. We went to a couple of tap rooms, ate some dinner, and about 9pm I got on my phone and found a nice hotel with great breakfast for $72. It was about a 20 minute drive and there was zero traffic.

The next day we had a very nice drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway and then back home. What a nice diversion this was. Spent lots of time with our friends (who found the cabin we stayed at), DD came from Virginia and we got lots of time hanging out with her. Sampled many local beers. Beautiful weather the whole time. So thankful for having this come together so well.

The thicker clouds waned as during the totality and it was spectacular! And we had a glorious "diamond ring" effect at the end. Very cool.

I think I will remember the diamond ring effect more than totality. A picture can never capture it happening, how white it was, how beautiful. Now I know why so many talk about it even though it is literally just milliseconds of the event.

I was in Lathrop, MO. The area clouded up just prior to the full eclipse, but it got dark for the 2+ minutes. It was really cool, even if we could not see it...

We were close to you in St Joseph, MO... at the airport which is directly on the centerline. Same basic result... lots of clouds. For the first half, we only got glimpses that lasted a few seconds. Rain and heavy clouds moved in 15-20 minutes before totality. Then it started clearing, so the second half was quite clear, with clear blue skies and bright sunshine by the end.

During totality, we had one brief glimpse of the complete circle that lasted maybe 4-5 seconds. Then it was gone. But the complete darkness was downright mystical. Very much worth the trip just for that. Looking forward to 2024, with totality much closer to home here in Texas.

Traffic was very light traveling to St Joseph from our hotel in downtown Kansas City. It took less than 1 hour, but we left very early. Going back was about 3 hours due to a combination of eclipse traffic, construction, heavy rain, accidents, and rush hour in Kansas City. That wasn't fun. But we ended up at McCoy's Public House in Westport with lots of other weary eclipse enthusiasts. Had a great time sharing stories, photos, and plenty of great beer and food.

I like the idea of taking a train. Traffic was terrible. Seriously and literally, the worst traffic I've ever seen. Four hours to go 70 miles out of Bowling Green KY on I-65.

Worst traffic I have ever been in!
Took the train to Toledo where DSis picked me up and drove to Nashville. Took twice as long to drive back to Toledo. Train was four hours late and i still barely made it on time.

Hey I was in that jam up! Saw it at Gallatin, Tennessee. The problem was pre-existing construction on I-65 as far as I could see. If it hadn't been there probably would have been better as once got past there was pretty clear sailing to the next construction in Cincinnati! Took me nine hours to get from Gallatin to Cincinnati. Google says it is a 4h drive normally.

And it was absolutely worth it!

Hey I ate a hotdog with a family from Toronto in Gallatin! Were you there with two young children?

It was touch-and-go with the clouds in Franklin, NC, but clear enough to see the "diamond ring" at the end...Mission Accomplished!

Perfectly clear all day, and in the last 10 minutes before totality, there were some high wispy clouds with a few thicker bits. The thicker bits moved in as we got to the tiniest sliver before totality, so the eclipse glasses and binocular projections quit working, but (gasp), if you looked directly it (with the clouds as a filter), it was awesome!

I knew post-eclipse traffic would be bad, so although we didn't have a hotel for the night, I wasn't worried. We went to a couple of tap rooms, ate some dinner, and about 9pm I got on my phone and found a nice hotel with great breakfast for $72. It was about a 20 minute drive and there was zero traffic.

The next day we had a very nice drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway and then back home. What a nice diversion this was. Spent lots of time with our friends (who found the cabin we stayed at), DD came from Virginia and we got lots of time hanging out with her. Sampled many local beers. Beautiful weather the whole time. So thankful for having this come together so well.
We were in Franklin also. Made the 11 hour trip from Maryland. Was worth it!:)

I wasn't really sure about going to see it since it involved a 500 mile drive to a campground by Lake Barkley, Kentucky, but my wife was really keen so I figured why not. Well it was 1,000 miles of driving in 2 days (much of it in stop and go traffic), but it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I would drive twice as far with no hesitation to see another one.

I watched the Amazon Prime video a few days ago and thought the people they showed there were way over-obsessed with the eclipse chasing thing. But now I totally get it. Thinking about Argentina in 2019!

That was my thought too. I drove to Lathrop, MO, with the expectations of seeing it, or not. A 425 mile trip each way. I was not too worried about the rain. I did not realize how cool it was going to be. Even in the clouds, totality was awe inspiring.

Looking back, I would have gotten up at 5 AM and adjusted the location to a place that was going to be clear. Or made sure I went to a clear place, even if it was further away.

I think I may have been in one of the best locations in terms of having to travel to and from totality. I had a two-hour drive each way from northern Wyoming to Casper and back, and while there were definitely more cars on I-25 than there would normally be, there was nothing that would be considered "traffic." Took the same amount of time each way. There wasn't even any traffic in Casper proper when I arrived and left. Left Sheridan at 7 am, sat in a cousin's backyard with a perfect view of the sky, and got back at 2:15 pm.

Did have some relatives in northern Wyoming who declared it all a bust because it didn't seem like anything much really happened with their 95% eclipse (without looking through glasses). I imagine that might get emphasized a whole lot more in 2024.

Hey I ate a hotdog with a family from Toronto in Gallatin! Were you there with two young children?

No. I was on my own. My four children all had to work and DW decided that she would rather go to a Coldplay concert in Toronto on Monday night.

Interestingly, before the eclipse started, I was sitting under a tree cooling off and the closest guy to me had a University of Western Ontario shirt on. I said hi and he said that the guy with him (his father) went to McMaster which is where I went to school. Turns out we were in Engineering together in 1980! Small world!

As totality approached I was chatting with a fellow and his son who had driven up from Jackson, Mississippi. Was a great experience.

No. I was on my own. My four children all had to work and DW decided that she would rather go to a Coldplay concert in Toronto on Monday night.

Interestingly, before the eclipse started, I was sitting under a tree cooling off and the closest guy to me had a University of Western Ontario shirt on. I said hi and he said that the guy with him (his father) went to McMaster which is where I went to school. Turns out we were in Engineering together in 1980! Small world!

As totality approached I was chatting with a fellow and his son who had driven up from Jackson, Mississippi. Was a great experience.

That was a great place to view. I met people from all over the US, Australia, Canada, France, and China.

That was a great place to view. I met people from all over the US, Australia, Canada, France, and China.

Yes I was totally impressed with the people of Gallatin. It was so well organized and free and really put on with a community spirit. There were volunteers there at 430 am to let us into the parking lot!

And agree, people from everywhere. It was fun that they had maps of US/Canada and another of the world that they were putting pins up on for people who were attending.

We were in Franklin also. Made the 11 hour trip from Maryland. Was worth it!:)
We probably walked past each other, hehe! Spend the before hours at Lazy Hiker and the event under under a magnolia across from the driver's license place (where we parked).

Did you see the signs "eclipse parking $20" at the houses along the highway, lol! I wonder if anybody decided that was good idea.

It was awesome! We had about 70 people here for the wedding/eclipse all weekend.

I look forward to the next one in 7 years. We will be in the path of totality again! Hoping to be retired by then.

saw this online. It was made layering 12 different shots.

Attachments

• Eclipse.jpg
    Eclipse.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom