Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
For the frugal trailering person w ho wants to take longer trips, my recommendation would be to go with a TT somewhere around 27' tongue to tail, with a GVWR of around 6500 pounds, which will give you a tongue weight, loaded, at around 700-800 pounds, allowing it to be easily towed by a normal half-ton gas powered truck. This will also allow you to carry some bikes, firewood, chairs, etc in the pickup bed. If you look around, you can find a good used pickup for around 20k or a new one for less than 30k, and a used TT for around 15k or a new one for around 20-25k depending on the quality of the rig, totaling 35-55k.
It helps. And has given me a lot to think about. I didn't quote your other section on cost analysis. That was much appreciated too.

I'm not so sure I'd want to go so large. There's a wildcard here. I'd love to store the trailer in my garage. We live in the city, and our garage is down a sloped driveway. Anything heavy would be hard to back in. (Our neighbor did it for a few years and it was a huge chore.) I'm also concerned about high-centering the rig at the top of the driveway where it flattens out to meet the city street. Neighbor's rig came within 1/2" of high centering.

The concern here is that I buy a TT and suddenly find out I need a new vehicle, and then a new house with a flat driveway!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been thinking along these lines for when we retire in a couple years.

Pleasure-Way Industries: The Mercedes Plateau Class B Motorhome

Currently have a TT but like the idea of a class B for traveling as opposed to camping.

There are several manufacturers, and can even be had in 4x4 if you really want off the beaten track, used is an option as many if not most have low mileage. Fl., Tx., and Az. seem to be the best places to look for used.

The down side is the price, hence a used may be a good option.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Don't trust the dealer. They are in the business of selling vehicles...parting customers fom their cash, not making sure you are happy or can actually tow the TT.
So true. When I was researching buying a TT a few years ago I figured the max loaded gross weight I should have for my truck was 6,500 lbs (75% of rated capacity). A dealer tried to steer me to a much larger one saying "the empty weight is below your truck's capacity".

My response was "I'm not going to tow it empty. I'm going to tow it full". He was clearly not happy with that.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
We've been thinking along these lines for when we retire in a couple years.

Pleasure-Way Industries: The Mercedes Plateau Class B Motorhome

Currently have a TT but like the idea of a class B for traveling as opposed to camping.

There are several manufacturers, and can even be had in 4x4 if you really want off the beaten track, used is an option as many if not most have low mileage. Fl., Tx., and Az. seem to be the best places to look for used.

The down side is the price, hence a used may be a good option.
Very nice. But, yeah, dang that price. I didn't even consider this kind of thing. It brings back memories of "conversion vans". And even though it is small and mobile, someone here mentioned the fact I'd have another engine to put on the maintenance list, etc. But if we travel a lot... It is a possible option.

I think once I get serious, I need to explore the whole used market (for all types). That gets my head spinning.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So true. When I was researching buying a TT a few years ago I figured the max loaded gross weight I should have for my truck was 6,500 lbs (75% of rated capacity). A dealer tried to steer me to a much larger one saying "the empty weight is below your truck's capacity".

My response was "I'm not going to tow it empty. I'm going to tow it full". He was clearly not happy with that.
Thanks for the warnings. I've read something similar elsewhere.

Any ideas on how to approach the used market?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Any ideas on how to approach the used market?
Educate yourself first, there are great deals to be found with research and most of all patience. A lot of people buy them, use them once or twice, it sits for a year or more (too long is very bad) and decide the RV/TT life is not for them.

There's a notice on the bulletin board of one for sale where I work - sign says "never been used".

Read RV.net - RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information. There's a lot of experience and knowledge there and they're happy to share it.

Unfortunately I have not yet been able to talk DW into buying one.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I'd just get back in my car and leave at that point. If they'll lie to you once...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The concern here is that I buy a TT and suddenly find out I need a new vehicle, and then a new house with a flat driveway!
That is the beauty of our TrailManor. It is as large as a 27' Trailer but it folds down to store in our garage. We can take it out any time we want. We tow it with our Dodge Durango so we didn't need to buy a truck. Also, we have a very sloped driveway and can back it right in assuming that we release the anti-sway bars on the hitch. You can get some good deals on used ones too.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #29

Class B camping vans are a nice option. Relatively small but can go anywhere. Good relative gas mileage. Can pull over anywhere. We recently changed to a truck camper because 3 or 4 weeks in a Class B was the most we could handle together. Lol. The truck camper has a slide and more room yet the truck can go anywhere. Like a small hotel room that can go places a larger unit or trailer cannot. Try going to RV. A great RV forum. Choose what's important for you to do and choose the appropriate style RV.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #30

Class B camping vans are a nice option. Relatively small but can go almost anywhere. Good relative gas mileage. Can pull over anywhere. We recently changed to a truck camper because 3 or 4 weeks in a Class B was the most we could handle together. Lol. The truck camper has a slide and more room yet the truck can go anywhere. Like a small hotel room that can go places a larger unit or trailer cannot. Try going to RV. A great RV forum. Choose what's important for you to do and choose the appropriate style RV.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Class B camping vans are a nice option. Relatively small but can go anywhere. Good relative gas mileage. Can pull over anywhere. We recently changed to a truck camper because 3 or 4 weeks in a Class B was the most we could handle together. Lol. The truck camper has a slide and more room yet the truck can go anywhere. Like a small hotel room that can go places a larger unit or trailer cannot. Try going to RV. A great RV forum. Choose what's important for you to do and choose the appropriate style RV.
With the truck slide in... Can you "deploy" it on site? In other words, if you get to base camp and want to stay a week, can you somehow get the camper off the truck and on some stands? Then you are free to drive around totally unimpeded.

I've seen these on the road, but never paid much attention at camp grounds. We're always stuck in the tent area anyway. So, I don't know how they work.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I like hiking and I like bicycle touring. I've visited over 3 dozen national parks in the US, plus others in Canada. I've visited a few of them while on bike trips. Those include Zion, Bryce Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, & Hawaii Volcanoes. Most national parks, however, I've visited in a rental car (since I live in the East and most national parks are in the West). I usually stay in motels during the car trips. The car trips were never more than 2 weeks long, so the rental car solution + flight worked for me. In fact, an ER friend & I will be leaving soon on one of those trips.

BTW, I haven't run into many restrictions on bikes in national parks other than the west side of Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier NP. Other parks, however, have some unpaved roads which wouldn't be practical on a touring bike, or for that matter, in a regular car. Canyonlands & Capitol Reef are two parks like that which come to mind.
Of course Canyonlands is also the capital of the mountain biking crowd. So at worst you could rent a mountain bike in moab and take it on the dirt roads Thats what the fat tires are for.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen a couple truck campers in campgrounds sans truck, but only a couple, though TC's are not common on the east coast. Unfortunately, the price for a truck and camper is about the same as for a B. RV'ing is not for the most part a poor mans hobby. Even my small 18' trailer (about the size of a B or a truck camper) has required me to buy a good size truck. I have heard that if you go used, do look for a top of the line unit. Chances are that if someone paid big money for it, they spent to keep it in top condition.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Unfortunately, the price for a truck and camper is about the same as for a B.
+1

All the truck campers I've seen are somewhat heavy and therefore require a big truck - in the F350 range - to carry them, adding to the cost factor.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #35

Also with a truck camper, remember that when you "gotta go" at night, you have to climb down from the cabover. I've got the F-350 now, and thinking about a TC for the shorter trips to campgrounds within a 4-5 hour radius and in state parks. The above noted issue has so far held me back from jumping in. I can only imagine how little sleep I would get if I have to get up thrice a night and have to do all that climbing up and down.

Seraphim, do you cope well with the ups and downs?

R
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

It's not like you're climbing into a tree house, but it is one of the main reasons older folks get rid of them. Most of the nicer TC's require dual rear wheels on the 3/4 tons. You're talking 4000 lbs plus.