Travel adapters and extension cords

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We will be visiting family in Germany later this year. One of the things we need to plan for is how to charge all the devices I'm sure we will have. I know the iPhone and iPad only need a adapter plug. We will have multiple devices, however, so my concern is twofold. First, there may not be enough free sockets available, and second, the power cords for the iPhones are short.

An ideal option would be an extension cord with multiple plugs. Will a normal US extension work in Europe, as long as it has an adapter, and the devices to be charged don't require converters? I've seen converter units that can power multiple devices (like this) but they take a fair amount of space and weight.

I take 2 adapters, one for the bathroom (not the hair dryer) and one for our extension cord. All power cords for electronic devices will rum on 110/220 so I just plug them into the extension cord. If we need a hair dryer, I ask the host.

Make sure your adapters are the rounded kind because the square kind will not work everywhere.

I use a 2USB charger with adapter. That has worked for most of the devices. Then we have the adapter for the computer.

All our computers, camera chargers, and iOS device chargers handle 220V and just need the adapter. Then we have a hair dryer that has a 220V switch. We haven't needed to use a three-way prong adapter even though we have one.

We carry two of these with adapters: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKLCB50/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3 It handles 220V.

Then carry an adapter for the computer, and one for the camera battery charger.

We have found usually plenty of wall and/or bedside table sockets.

Amazon has tons of socket adapters.

One adapter to feed a light weight 10' cord with a head that allows a few chargers to co exist makes travel so much more pleasant at hotels or airports or when you need to recharge while dining and keep an eye on your electronics. Also you may want to grind/defeat the wider plug spade compromising on safety because some outlets wont support the hot/neutral polarization. Unless you are plugging in a lamp where the metal screw base can accidentally be touched it seems a tolerable safety compromise.

Another nice to have when traveling with partner is a Y adapter phono plug, when you rent a museum audio tour and have spare earbuds you can stay in sync and save some $.

We have a small adapter kit that we bought at Best Buy for $9 a number of years ago. Trick is sometimes figuring out how it goes together....something of a rubix cube design.

It is travelled around the world with us several times over. That plus, one small Europe adapter that we picked up years ago is all we have used. We travel with carry on only so we like to keep it simple. No extension cords...too heavy and they take too much room.

This thread reminds me of my dear sister who used her US hairdryer in the UK with an adapter rather than a converter and thought about how well it was drying her hair.... until it burnt out :facepalm::LOL:

This plug has been our go-to for our travels--3 AC plus 2 high speed USB in one device.
Handles 220 no problem and we only need one adapter plug to get power to all the devices. Prongs fold into body so nothing sticking out. We use on of the sockets to power this "brick" which provides 5 connectors to fit micro-usb devices. http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Desktop...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outle...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 Under $7 now.
Nwsteve

We have one converter, 1 4xUSB adapter, and about 4 plug adapters.

Our first USB adapter fried mid-way through our 9 weeks in europe last year... turns out if you plug in 2 phones and 2 mp3 players at once... it draws too much power. So we started being more careful after we had to spend part of a vacation day tracking down a new usb charger. (Had to skip one of our outings in Amsterdam because of this.)

I got mine from Target in the travel section and it seems to be working well. I refused to pay for the all in one because complicate things usually don't work as well, and it's more than expensive.

Not so much of an issue for us. We each travel with an iPad. Other than those, only the camera battery needs to be recharged. Very manageable.

Back
Top Bottom