Join Early Retirement Today
Travel adapters and extension cords
Old 05-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Travel adapters and extension cords

We will be visiting family in Germany later this year. One of the things we need to plan for is how to charge all the devices I'm sure we will have. I know the iPhone and iPad only need a adapter plug. We will have multiple devices, however, so my concern is twofold. First, there may not be enough free sockets available, and second, the power cords for the iPhones are short.

An ideal option would be an extension cord with multiple plugs. Will a normal US extension work in Europe, as long as it has an adapter, and the devices to be charged don't require converters? I've seen converter units that can power multiple devices (like this) but they take a fair amount of space and weight.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
A US extension cord will work fine as you suggest.

I have a multiple USB charger that has has adapters for the UK, EU, and the USA which I bought here a couple of weeks ago.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I take 2 adapters, one for the bathroom (not the hair dryer) and one for our extension cord. All power cords for electronic devices will rum on 110/220 so I just plug them into the extension cord. If we need a hair dryer, I ask the host.

Make sure your adapters are the rounded kind because the square kind will not work everywhere.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I use a 2USB charger with adapter. That has worked for most of the devices. Then we have the adapter for the computer.

All our computers, camera chargers, and iOS device chargers handle 220V and just need the adapter. Then we have a hair dryer that has a 220V switch. We haven't needed to use a three-way prong adapter even though we have one.

We carry two of these with adapters: It handles 220V.

Then carry an adapter for the computer, and one for the camera battery charger.

We have found usually plenty of wall and/or bedside table sockets.

Amazon has tons of socket adapters.
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
One adapter to feed a light weight 10' cord with a head that allows a few chargers to co exist makes travel so much more pleasant at hotels or airports or when you need to recharge while dining and keep an eye on your electronics. Also you may want to grind/defeat the wider plug spade compromising on safety because some outlets wont support the hot/neutral polarization. Unless you are plugging in a lamp where the metal screw base can accidentally be touched it seems a tolerable safety compromise.

Another nice to have when traveling with partner is a Y adapter phono plug, when you rent a museum audio tour and have spare earbuds you can stay in sync and save some $.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
We have a small adapter kit that we bought at Best Buy for $9 a number of years ago. Trick is sometimes figuring out how it goes together....something of a rubix cube design.

It is travelled around the world with us several times over. That plus, one small Europe adapter that we picked up years ago is all we have used. We travel with carry on only so we like to keep it simple. No extension cords...too heavy and they take too much room.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
This thread reminds me of my dear sister who used her US hairdryer in the UK with an adapter rather than a converter and thought about how well it was drying her hair.... until it burnt out
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
This is the one we use- 3 outlets plus 2 USB charging ports made by Belkin
Google this: 3 outlet 2 usb adapter
Retired Jan 2009 Have not looked back.
AA 95%/0/5
WR 2% SI 2SS & 2 Pensions
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
This plug has been our go-to for our travels--3 AC plus 2 high speed USB in one device.
Handles 220 no problem and we only need one adapter plug to get power to all the devices. Prongs fold into body so nothing sticking out. We use on of the sockets to power this "brick" which provides 5 connectors to fit micro-usb devices. Under $7 now.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
We have one converter, 1 4xUSB adapter, and about 4 plug adapters.

Our first USB adapter fried mid-way through our 9 weeks in europe last year... turns out if you plug in 2 phones and 2 mp3 players at once... it draws too much power. So we started being more careful after we had to spend part of a vacation day tracking down a new usb charger. (Had to skip one of our outings in Amsterdam because of this.)
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:51 AM   #11
I got mine from Target in the travel section and it seems to be working well. I refused to pay for the all in one because complicate things usually don't work as well, and it's more than expensive.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
Not so much of an issue for us. We each travel with an iPad. Other than those, only the camera battery needs to be recharged. Very manageable.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We use this extension cord. I like the compactness, but not the LED light in the plug. We plug in a country specific adapter, and then this and we have enough outlets for our use. Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip - 4 AC Outlets - Black: Electronics

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote