Travel Insurance?

Still nothing on refunds for travel restrictions? I'm not concerned on the medical aid of it as I'm covered in Mexico with my existing insurance. I'm more concerned if Mexico says 'no flights from America!'
This has happened to me and I've seen it happen to others. In all cases tickets were allowed to be exchanged without restriction or fully refunded. This was with AA and UA, not sure about other airlines. If they were purchased in the US with a US credit card the additional CC protections would also apply.

I am more concerned about returning to the US with no insurance...
I wonder about this too.

We are planning on backpacking for awhile overseas (maybe a year) and I'm not sure what to do about insurance. We'll get travel insurance to cover medical incidents overseas and evac, but I'm thinking we should hold onto a high deductible plan stateside too so we have a way to pay for care if evac.

So would double up, basically paying for health insurance in the US even though we won't be here.

Air Ambulance | Medical Flight Transport Services | Air Ambulance Services

Angel Flight...
Some years ago, we became members after a potential medical flight from Florida to Illinois... Commercial at the time was about $25,000. Can't remember the cost but very, very little. Back then, some of the costs were based on ability to pay.. I don't believe it was international at the time... circa 1995. As I recall, the service was a loose organization of private pilots, one of which lived in our community.

EDIT!!!... oooops...
The above link was for a totally different corporation. Here's the link to the Angel Flight that I was referring to... Definitely worth a look!
- AngelFlight.com – People Helping People in Need.

Last edited:
I wonder about this too.

We are planning on backpacking for awhile overseas (maybe a year) and I'm not sure what to do about insurance. We'll get travel insurance to cover medical incidents overseas and evac, but I'm thinking we should hold onto a high deductible plan stateside too so we have a way to pay for care if evac.

So would double up, basically paying for health insurance in the US even though we won't be here.

I'm still deciding whether or not to enroll in an ACA policy when I return or rely (roll the dice) using the Veterans Administration for the next three years until I hit the sweet spot (Medicare)

I figure a high deductible bronze plan won't be that much, and it would be there just so our worst possible damage if evac'd back to the US with a serious medical issue is the annual out of pocket max of $12,700.

I figure a high deductible bronze plan won't be that much, and it would be there just so our worst possible damage if evac'd back to the US with a serious medical issue is the annual out of pocket max of $12,700.
Being over 60 in Texas, I'll pay $975/mo for a bronze ACA policy covering me and DW. Each one of us would have a $6,000 deductible before any benefits kick in other than the "free" annual physical. I don't think that qualifies as "won't be that much."

When my FIL passed away it was on the exact day we were going to fly to London for 3 weeks of UK travel. We had been told by the nursing home about 2 weeks before we left that he was starting to go down hill and may not last the time we would be gone. We cancelled about 10 days before we were to leave.

We had trip insurance. Continental (pre-United) readily refunded our plane tickets with just a note from the nursing home's doctor. I attached it to an email, sent it and got the money credited to my CC in two days.

Airfare was the big insured cost. I applied to the insurance company for about $300 in pre-booked, non-refundable train tickets and B&Bs. Most B&Bs were understanding and didn't enforce their 1 day cancellation charge. A couple weren't.

I must have exchanged 10 emails with the adjuster who challanged everything. The final straw was their move to "hold the refund for 1 year in the event we could use the residual airfare." I fired off several emails complaining that this was absurd because the airfare refund was not part of the claim. My next email would have been to the state's insurance commission but the insurance company then paid.

I have continued to purchase travel insurance but I usually just apply for a minimalist policy just to get medical evac insurance.

I've always considered that my FIL's time of death was his taking advantage of one last time to screw my life up.

Last edited:
I didn't want to start a new thread, so will insert these thoughts here:

Haven't traveled by air since 1987, when it was part of my job, so am entering the world of air travel as an aboriginal native...
Looking to fly to Florida, saw an $85 flight from Bloomington Illiinois to Sanford Florida for $85. Wow!

I have just spent a full hour reading the rules, and am nowhere near finished. Needless to say, I was stunned. Can't cancel, even if I die! And the fees! OMG...
$20 just for my carry-on bag... and it goes downhill from there. $5 cost to make a reservation? Up to $80, if I want to choose a seat or sit next to DW? $100 to bring a kitty cat?? Whooo boy... Can't wait!

https://www.allegiantair.com/popup/optional-services-fees#baggage
Continuing your hijack. I didn't have to read far before I said - "I bet it's allegiant". I flew them once.
They are the only airline I know that charges for WATER on the flight. And the seat assignment thing - even if you are traveling with small kids they'll randomly scatter you and your kids throughout the cabin among strangers if you don't pay for seat assignments. It's not first come first serve like southwest where you have a shot of sitting together. If I ever fly this airline again - I will bring an empty water bottle through security. IIRC they charge for carry on also - but a lesser charge.

...........even if you are traveling with small kids they'll randomly scatter you and your kids throughout the cabin among strangers if you don't pay for seat assignments.......... .
And people say that corporations are greedy. :LOL:

Being over 60 in Texas, I'll pay $975/mo for a bronze ACA policy covering me and DW. Each one of us would have a $6,000 deductible before any benefits kick in other than the "free" annual physical. I don't think that qualifies as "won't be that much."
Being 43 & 46 here in Arizona there are high deductible bronze plans that are under $300, and our income should easily put us into subsidies to reduce that further. I think that qualifies as not that much.

My wife and I are planning to travel four weeks in France and Italy this July. We have some nonrefundable deposits down on Home Away apartments in Paris and Rome, plus some expensive plane tickets, about 5 or 6k in all. She has an elderly mother and we'd like to get TRIP INSURANCE that would cover any such illness or other problem that would force us to cancel or interrupt our trip.

I checked with AIG Travel Guard, mentioned in Consumer Reports, and coverage ranged from $600 to $1150. That seems high.

What is the best option for us?
Thanks
Don

Last edited:
My wife and I are planning to travel four weeks in France and Italy this July. We have some nonrefundable deposits down on Home Away apartments in Paris and Rome, plus some expensive plane tickets, about 5 or 6k in all. She has an elderly mother and we'd like to get TRIP INSURANCE that would cover any such illness or other problem that would force us to cancel or interrupt our trip.

I checked with AIG Travel Guard, mentioned in Consumer Reports, and coverage ranged from $600 to $1150. That seems high.

What is the best option for us?
Thanks
Don
This is a pretty good site. I used it to find insurance that would cover a trip when my FIL was very sick and I feared we might have to cancel. Note some companies insure for only travelers getting sick while others also cover immediate relatives. Read the policy.

I'm revisiting this issue bc we have an expensive trip to Europe coming up with some non refundable tickets and housing deposits and a 94 years old mother in law. Now I'm thinking that the Allianz annual Executive plan, $918 for a couple, might be the thing. That goes down to 498 for a more basic plan and less for medical evac only.
Compare Travel Insurance Plans by Benefit | Allianz Travel Insurance

The executive plan covers most illness of family members not traveling as well as all kinds of other mishaps that can interfere with a vacation and for multiple trips during the year. Seems like it might be worth the peace of mind.

Last edited:
really depends for us. While I've traveled to US/Canada.. I don't think I've used travel insurance ... excepting maybe our Alaskan cruise-tour (maybe... don't remember).

When I have traveled outside of these areas (including Caribbean cruises), we have purchased travel insurance. Benefited once when a close relative died and we had to bail out of the cruise.

We tend to have active vacations... often mountain hiking. We have liked having evacuation insurance. Note when becoming non-employed in 2 months and going on a ACA plan, we may also need the medical coverage for when we are in other countries.

What happens if you have to be treated in Europe?

It's not like they have poor medical care.

My experience in the public hospital in Florence wasn't awesome, I have to say. But that's where the ambulance took my mom, so we dealt with it. Had I known more about what to expect, I would have probably tried to get her to a private hospital instead. That was before I got religion about travel medical insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I checked into travel insurance for my wife, who's on Medicare, when we traveled last year to Canada. She has a Medicare Supplement, and it covers her on a reimbursement basis for any healthcare problems when outside of the U.S.

I would certainly suggest travel insurance if someone is not in good physical health and if there's a chance they could miss a trip for health reasons. Or, if their parents are sick and could expire.

There are very, very few people that get Medivac'd to the U.S. that cannot travel on a scheduled air carrier.

I don't see much need for travel insurance unless someone just has Medicare without a supplement that covers medical outside of the U.S.

I think it depends on which country you are in. I was backpacking the Pyrenees near Gavarnie, France last August and one of the guys I was with had a heart attack on the trail. Since we had just crossed over to the Spanish side he was medivac'd to the University Hospital in Zaragoza, Spain. He had travel insurance and his insurance company picked up most of the costs. The care there seemed pretty good but there was a big language barrier since only one nurse in the ICU spoke English. They also had very strict visiting hours (1-2 hrs/day) at specific times only. He had 4 stents put in and was in the hospital for about 2 weeks.

I'm a big believer of travel insurance for medical reasons (not trip insurance) since it is relatively inexpensive. My 1.5 month of coverage from AAA (Allianz Travel) cost $93. It included $500k emergency medical transportation, $25k emergency medical/dental. (I was advised that $25k should be enough for most countries in Europe although I might want to increase it the next time I go over.) The insurance also covered $1k for lost baggage and $300 for delayed baggage.

Last edited:
I think it depends on which country you are in. I was backpacking the Pyrenees near Gavarnie, France last August and one of the guys I was with had a heart attack on the trail. Since we had just crossed over to the Spanish side he was medivac'd to the University Hospital in Zaragoza, Spain. He had travel insurance and his insurance company picked up most of the costs. The care there seemed pretty good but there was a big language barrier since only one nurse in the ICU spoke English. They also had very strict visiting hours (1-2 hrs/day) at specific times only. He had 4 stents put in and was in the hospital for about 2 weeks.

I'm a big believer of travel insurance for medical reasons (not trip insurance) since it is relatively inexpensive. My 1.5 month of coverage from AAA (Allianz Travel) cost $93. It included $500k emergency medical transportation, $25k emergency medical/dental. (I was advised that $25k should be enough for most countries in Europe although I might want to increase it the next time I go over.) The insurance also covered $1k for lost baggage and $300 for delayed baggage.

It also depends on what activities you might engage in. For example if you scuba dive (I used to) and go to small islands to dive, you might have to have an emergency low altitude flight to the nearest recompression chamber. There does exist insurance for scuba accidents.
Also if you go to a third world country and are away from the capital likley you will need evac.

It also depends on what activities you might engage in. For example if you scuba dive (I used to) and go to small islands to dive, you might have to have an emergency low altitude flight to the nearest recompression chamber. There does exist insurance for scuba accidents.
Also if you go to a third world country and are away from the capital likley you will need evac.

Yes, high risk activities such as scuba diving, and jumping out of airplanes were specifically excluded in my coverage. What can you expect for only 93 bucks...

Yes, high risk activities such as scuba diving, and jumping out of airplanes were specifically excluded in my coverage. What can you expect for only 93 bucks...

Interestingly the divers alert network as a part of its membership provides a 100k evacuation policy for both dive and non dive incidents if more than 50 miles from home.

And you don't have to be a diver to get it?

After consulting at this forum and another, I was steered to this site
https://tripinsurancestore.com/
I also spoke by phone with Steve who runs the site I believe and he was very helpful. My main concern was having to postpone or interrupt due to illness or death of my aging mother-in-law and I learned that I would have to get trip insurance that covered preexisting conditions. It was expensive to cover a month abroad, but at least my wife and I can go into this dream vacation not worrying about this. I recommend the service. Steve is a broker and there are no added fees.

Back
Top Bottom