Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What happens if you have to be treated in Europe?

It's not like they have poor medical care.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

My experience in the public hospital in Florence wasn't awesome, I have to say. But that's where the ambulance took my mom, so we dealt with it. Had I known more about what to expect, I would have probably tried to get her to a private hospital instead. That was before I got religion about travel medical insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #43

I checked into travel insurance for my wife, who's on Medicare, when we traveled last year to Canada. She has a Medicare Supplement, and it covers her on a reimbursement basis for any healthcare problems when outside of the U.S.

I would certainly suggest travel insurance if someone is not in good physical health and if there's a chance they could miss a trip for health reasons. Or, if their parents are sick and could expire.

There are very, very few people that get Medivac'd to the U.S. that cannot travel on a scheduled air carrier.

I don't see much need for travel insurance unless someone just has Medicare without a supplement that covers medical outside of the U.S.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

I think it depends on which country you are in. I was backpacking the Pyrenees near Gavarnie, France last August and one of the guys I was with had a heart attack on the trail. Since we had just crossed over to the Spanish side he was medivac'd to the University Hospital in Zaragoza, Spain. He had travel insurance and his insurance company picked up most of the costs. The care there seemed pretty good but there was a big language barrier since only one nurse in the ICU spoke English. They also had very strict visiting hours (1-2 hrs/day) at specific times only. He had 4 stents put in and was in the hospital for about 2 weeks.

I'm a big believer of travel insurance for medical reasons (not trip insurance) since it is relatively inexpensive. My 1.5 month of coverage from AAA (Allianz Travel) cost $93. It included $500k emergency medical transportation, $25k emergency medical/dental. (I was advised that $25k should be enough for most countries in Europe although I might want to increase it the next time I go over.) The insurance also covered $1k for lost baggage and $300 for delayed baggage.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumtrader View Post
I think it depends on which country you are in. I was backpacking the Pyrenees near Gavarnie, France last August and one of the guys I was with had a heart attack on the trail. Since we had just crossed over to the Spanish side he was medivac'd to the University Hospital in Zaragoza, Spain. He had travel insurance and his insurance company picked up most of the costs. The care there seemed pretty good but there was a big language barrier since only one nurse in the ICU spoke English. They also had very strict visiting hours (1-2 hrs/day) at specific times only. He had 4 stents put in and was in the hospital for about 2 weeks.

I'm a big believer of travel insurance for medical reasons (not trip insurance) since it is relatively inexpensive. My 1.5 month of coverage from AAA (Allianz Travel) cost $93. It included $500k emergency medical transportation, $25k emergency medical/dental. (I was advised that $25k should be enough for most countries in Europe although I might want to increase it the next time I go over.) The insurance also covered $1k for lost baggage and $300 for delayed baggage.
It also depends on what activities you might engage in. For example if you scuba dive (I used to) and go to small islands to dive, you might have to have an emergency low altitude flight to the nearest recompression chamber. There does exist insurance for scuba accidents.
Also if you go to a third world country and are away from the capital likley you will need evac.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
It also depends on what activities you might engage in. For example if you scuba dive (I used to) and go to small islands to dive, you might have to have an emergency low altitude flight to the nearest recompression chamber. There does exist insurance for scuba accidents.
Also if you go to a third world country and are away from the capital likley you will need evac.
Yes, high risk activities such as scuba diving, and jumping out of airplanes were specifically excluded in my coverage. What can you expect for only 93 bucks...
Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumtrader View Post
Yes, high risk activities such as scuba diving, and jumping out of airplanes were specifically excluded in my coverage. What can you expect for only 93 bucks...
Interestingly the divers alert network as a part of its membership provides a 100k evacuation policy for both dive and non dive incidents if more than 50 miles from home.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #48

And you don't have to be a diver to get it?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #49

Quote:
And you don't have to be a diver to get it?
Go to the Divers Alert network and look at the membership benefits: Here is a link to travel assist the program as part of the membership:
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/m.../Travel_Assist
Actual medical insurance for scuba accidents 75 per year on a 200k limit.
The evac is for any medical emergency. No diving certification is required.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

After consulting at this forum and another, I was steered to this site
https://tripinsurancestore.com/
I also spoke by phone with Steve who runs the site I believe and he was very helpful. My main concern was having to postpone or interrupt due to illness or death of my aging mother-in-law and I learned that I would have to get trip insurance that covered preexisting conditions. It was expensive to cover a month abroad, but at least my wife and I can go into this dream vacation not worrying about this. I recommend the service. Steve is a broker and there are no added fees.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #51

As long as we're giving recommendations....

I use Travel Insurance Plans, Quotes, Research, Reviews, and Advice ? InsureMyTrip. The site gives many choices with different levels of coverage.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BCBSTX has a number to call if we need medical attention while in Europe. For minor things, including an emergency room visit for something that doesn't require hospitalization, I think we can pay out of pocket.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

My personal insurance is with one of the Blue insurance company. They have agreements with hospitals all over the world to provide care and pay for it.

Other than that I have emergency evacuation insurance.

I never buy lost luggage, delay , or cancellation insurance.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I may be going on a cruise trip. As I was looking at the website, there's a suggestion of getting travel insurance and if so, call a number. Is that the usual way to go about getting travel insurance? or do I get my coverage totally separate.

I did a quick search and found an article on travel insurance in USA Today,

Five myths about travel insurance

but thought I'd post to the wise and experienced here
Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I may be going on a cruise trip. As I was looking at the website, there's a suggestion of getting travel insurance and if so, call a number. Is that the usual way to go about getting travel insurance? or do I get my coverage totally separate.

I did a quick search and found an article on travel insurance in USA Today,

Five myths about travel insurance

but thought I'd post to the wise and experienced here
I buy through Costco Travel or USAA. I trust they have vetted the insurance carriers and I'm happy with their prices.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #56

Just a FYI for those Forum members with a Chase Sapphire card. It comes with 20K trip cancellation insurance for each traveler. You have to look at fine print in your benefits summary. Was pleasantly surprised to find. Confirmed with CSR. You, of course, have to fully paid for the item with your Chase card. We are using to cover our international air on May trip to Eastern Europe. I think some AMEX cards offer this benefit as well but can not guarantee.
Nwsteve
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I buy through Costco Travel or USAA. I trust they have vetted the insurance carriers and I'm happy with their prices.
I bought trip insurance thru Costco for my parents for a cruise. It was incredibly cheap compared to other quotes I was getting. What I was told was that they charge the same amount to everyone, regardless of their age. Other insurance companies charge based on the age of the traveler. We saved a ton by using Costco's vendor. As it turned out, we needed to use it, as my Dad passed away prior to the cruise. They were very easy to work with, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #58

Hmm, so medical evacuation is only to an "appropriate" medical facility, not necessarily back home to your hospital of choice.

I used CSP card to book everything but didn't know about the travel insurance.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
I bought trip insurance thru Costco for my parents for a cruise. It was incredibly cheap compared to other quotes I was getting. What I was told was that they charge the same amount to everyone, regardless of their age. Other insurance companies charge based on the age of the traveler. We saved a ton by using Costco's vendor. As it turned out, we needed to use it, as my Dad passed away prior to the cruise. They were very easy to work with, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Here's something I don't understand. When I book a cruise, do I have to decide on travel insurance as I book? Or can I just get insurance after I book (Either through something like Costco or another place)?

My preference is to do the reservation for the cruise to make sure reservations don't get filled up, then do the analysis of what insurance I need).

I am sorry about your Dad.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Here's something I don't understand. When I book a cruise, do I have to decide on travel insurance as I book? Or can I just get insurance after I book (Either through something like Costco or another place)?

My preference is to do the reservation for the cruise to make sure reservations don't get filled up, then do the analysis of what insurance I need).

I am sorry about your Dad.
You should certainly shop for insurance other than the usually highly marked up insurance offered by the cruise lines. You likely will pay double for the "convenience." BUT the lobger you wait to buy, the less likely you will get them to cover for anything related to a pre-existing condition..the concern is that people might wait until they have a problem, then try to buy insurance after the problem develops...to prevent that, the issuer will limit the coverage the longer you wait to buy. If you buy the same day or maybe just a day or so later, the coverage should be the same as what the cruise line offers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum