Travel Insurance?

Plan F from BCBS doesn't sound like an ACA plan.

So some Medicare Advantage plan?

I don't expect my ACA plan to cover it. It's an EPO, meaning it won't even cover out of network providers in the US.

Nope, just a standard Medicare Supplemental policy offered by Premera which is BCBS provider in WA state

I was just on a cruise, where the ship had to divert for 90 minutes so a helicopter could come and air lift a 41 yr old man off to the hospital.
Coast Guard medevacs man from cruise ship Carnival Magic | Coast Guard News

It made me feel better about my travel insurance purchase.

My wife and I are in our mid 50's and we have done 2 TA's (cruises.) On our first TA, a passenger had a heart attack on the ship and had to be taken back to Portugal (via Helicopter.) We liked the way Celebrity Cruise handled the whole experience and we have opted to purchase basic travel insurance (Allianz) for our trips. For most of our vacations, the cost of the coverage is quite minimal (Less than $200.) Our justification is: we have aging parents, an accident can happen, and baggage can be misrouted.

Ironically, on our last cruise (which we didn't have insurance for,) we had travel problems coming and going - and although it didn't affect the cruise, the changes brought a bit of anxiety.

Michael

I wonder though in that situation if you have to get preauthorized for that medevac helicopter from the insurance company?

Or would they reimburse you after the fact?

That evac was by the U.S. Coast Guard, so you already paid for it with your taxes. There's no extra charge, so nothing to file with the insurance. :cool:

When we researched medevac insurance we found in the fine print (where else) that the insurer's medical officer would make the decision which hospital they would evac you to for treatment. There also language that the facility would be the "nearest" one which could provide the services the medical officer deemed appropriate.
Short answer--READ THE FINE PRINT on any medevac policy.
We are currently using Air Ambulance--370/yr for a couple worldwide. They will evac you to the hospital of YOUR choice once you are admitted to a hospital. The admission is a critical component--you can not call and ask to be evac for a "strained muscle". We found this out when DW broke her knee cap but was not admitted but put in cast and cleared to travel home. Repair surgery would not happen for at least several days so swelling could subside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom