Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

While we only purchased travel insurance occasionally in the past, I always purchase it now. Between DH and myself, there are three parents in their 80's and 90's.

We booked a Road Scholar trip last February for a September trip to San Francisco. Two days before we were to take off, DH's father became very ill. We cancelled the RS trip and took off for MA instead. (FIL is somewhat better today).

So, for the first time ever, we filed a claim on our travel insurance.

Our policy has no time limit for filing, for which I am grateful. It is taking forever to get one of the forms returned from the hospital. This is with FIL's atty supposedly helping the process along. The Road Scholar policy includes prior existing conditions, so I don't understand all the hoop-la questioning.

Somewhere down the road, I feel certain we will get our $1299 reimbursed and I will be happy we purchased the policy for $167.00.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We usually don't purchase it for short trips, especially with the Chase Sapphire benefits. However, when traveling with our moms, we've opted for it. When we go on Scuba diving trips, however, DAN insurance is our go to travel insurance (you don't have to be a diver - quick to purchase). Our next trip however is a long trip - 5 months, so also purchased international health....GeoBlue (blue cross) - very reasonable and no pre-existing conditions and key is that it's good for 5 months!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do any of these policies provide liability coverage?

Not for damage to a car you rent but any damage or injury you do to some other party with a car you were driving?

I know many members here have umbrella policies to protect their assets. Do those policies provide protection when renting cars in other countries?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Going on a cruise in a few months. Seemed like a lot of fine print to me on the insurance that was offered so declined. But I'm opting to sign up for a short term MedjetAssist membership instead of insurance. There's I think a discount on membership for AARP (I know, a four letter word for some here ) members.
I've looked at MedjetAssist, and that looks like an OK option.

On the other (non medical, non evacuation) travel/trip insurance: I see the big deposits on cruises, and the long reservation times and how things have to be paid in advance. And I'm not sure I'd be comfortable paying so much far in advance without some decent cancellation insurance.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently, we never buy insurance related to the travelling aspect of the trip (cancellation, interruption, delays, lost luggage, etc) as we're willing to take the risk and potential financial hit. But we don't discount the odds either because we have encountered and seen friends and family encounter snags with their trips.
We had to book a new outbound flight after a relative died. Our friends have cancelled their trip when a relative was diagnosed with cancer. Our dentist has their luggage lost on the way to a cruise.

Our primary credit cards provide some coverage.

We currently, don't buy travel health insurance because both our work benefits plans provide coverage. But if we didn't have coverage from work, we'd definitely buy it because the cost of getting you back to North America could run over $100k based on some incidents I've read about; mainly head injuries that require attendants on the flight with you. That's not chump change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Do any of these policies provide liability coverage?

Not for damage to a car you rent but any damage or injury you do to some other party with a car you were driving?

I know many members here have umbrella policies to protect their assets. Do those policies provide protection when renting cars in other countries?
You local auto coverage may extend third party liability coverage to car rentals in North America.
Also, check your home insurance. It might have coverage for legal liability.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #26

I did check and it seems unlikely US insurers will extend liability coverage for incidents overseas, since there are different liability laws.

I think the term of art is third-party liability and it seems with most industrialized nation, such insurance is required as part of the rental, though the agencies don't really highlight what that is. Maybe somewhere in the fine print.

Anyways I asked Avis why they were prodding me to pay for additional Liability Insurance (distinct from CDW for liability on the car) and the US guy couldn't say. He said I'd have to ask at the counter when I pick up the car, because the personnel there would obviously be more aware of local laws.

Though you see reviews on TA complaining about employees of major agencies trying to scam people with additional insurance. The reviews say Sixt with characteristic German honesty is the most trustworthy.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We hadn't heard of Sixt before recently when we were looking for a rental in California. Sounds like they're expanding into the States. FWIW, the reviews we saw for the North American Sixt rentals were decent and I wouldn't have minded renting from them (we ended up with Hertz via Priceline) and would consider them in Europe.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #28

But Sixt is more expensive.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've looked at MedjetAssist, and that looks like an OK option.

On the other (non medical, non evacuation) travel/trip insurance: I see the big deposits on cruises, and the long reservation times and how things have to be paid in advance. And I'm not sure I'd be comfortable paying so much far in advance without some decent cancellation insurance.
The cruise I went to was back in January. I did end up going with MedjetAssist for about 15 days. Total cost for the temporary coverage as I recall, was close to $100, but I think a little less with the AARP discount.

I shied away from regular travel/trip insurance as was reading that some insurers make you jump through hoops to prove qualifications of an event. Not sure if that is the case and I assume some are better than others. MejetAssist on the other hand describes itself as similar to AAA but for your body.

But not having regular insurance was a roll of the dice as MedjetAssist doesn't cover items like trip cancellation. I got a lucky roll, as I remember I was on vacation in sunny Florida, but folks got stranded for days not able to get back to snow covered NY.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

I never do but happened to buy it for a transatlantic cruise from Norway.

American Airlines made us miss the ship AND they lost ALL our luggage for a WEEK.

The insurance was awesome...basically paid for our entire trip and replaced all our stuff.

for a complicated trip, you might want to consider it.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #31

They paid for the whole trip even though you still went on it, despite losing the luggage?
Old 06-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #32

I have a pre-existing health condition so always buy travel insurance. I'm pretty certain all of the trip insurance packages offered by airlines, cruises, and credit cards EXCLUDE pre-existing. But "private" insurers provide pre-existing coverage if you buy the insurance within a short timeframe from initial deposit (2 to 3 weeks).
I use Insuremytrip.com to get the right policy for me.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1717 View Post
........American Airlines made us miss the ship .........
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
They paid for the whole trip even though you still went on it, despite losing the luggage?
Unless they helicoptered out to the ship, I don't think they went on the trip.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

We did go on the trip but had to make our own way up to Norway from Copenhagen. We were reimbursed for all expenses. Both Princess and American also kicked in some money, for "good will".....
Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #35

It depends on the trip. I've used insuremytrip.com before where a lot was at stake. DH and I were booked to go to Iceland this month but cancelled after he and my mother were both diagnosed with cancer. Neither is expected to survive the year.

Business class airfare on Icelandair: 100% refund. AA, greedy SOBs, charged $175 to redeposit miles for our flights in and out of BOS. I was surprised that Airbnb kept $130 of our prepaid apartment reservation in Reykjavik. Hilton redeposited hotel points, no problem. So, not much lost.

My main interest is medical and repatriation; I'm a very active traveler and want whatever it takes to get me repaired and safely back home.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

We only bought it once - last year when my MIL was very ill. We bought a policy that only covered death of a family member, and it was not expensive. We didn't need it, but since we were on a bike tour that was already paid for, I was glad we had it.

Athena - I am so sorry to hear about your family's circumstances. I wish you well.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It depends on the trip. I've used insuremytrip.com before where a lot was at stake. DH and I were booked to go to Iceland this month but cancelled after he and my mother were both diagnosed with cancer. Neither is expected to survive the year.

Business class airfare on Icelandair: 100% refund. AA, greedy SOBs, charged $175 to redeposit miles for our flights in and out of BOS. I was surprised that Airbnb kept $130 of our prepaid apartment reservation in Reykjavik. Hilton redeposited hotel points, no problem. So, not much lost.

My main interest is medical and repatriation; I'm a very active traveler and want whatever it takes to get me repaired and safely back home.
Yes not much lost, but I'm sure that is the last thing on your mind right now. Take care of yourself...as you take care of your loved ones.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #38

Anyone check out the insurance which comes with premium cards like Chase Sapphire?

I would imagine the terms are more restrictive, maybe lower limit.

Probably wouldn't cover things like medical evacuation and maybe cancellation for reasons other than medical for the insured only. You probably need to charge all expenses on the specific card.

Some years ago someone posted about some scuba diver club insurance which would cover evacuation for a low annual fee.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I just booked a cruise in Spain for Sept. I was advised to get coverage for medical. I instead bought the protection offered by Alaska Airlines through Aliance for $17 pp to cover the 16 days. Since I retired and lost my big corporate insurance, my wife and I choose to go our our business insurance we provide to our employees, Premera. I was shocked today to find out how good our insurance is with Premera. Not only do they provide international coverage, including airlift, they do so as if it was in-network cost due to association with hospitals world wide. They even bill direct to Premera if we choose the associated docs and hospitals. Folks might ask their insurer if they have the same, before buying additional coverage.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My insurance coverage has plenty of overseas options or care in most first and second world countries. Other than that I buy emergency evacuation insurance since the cost of that can be huge 20,000+.