Travel Insurance and Mongolia

Sarah in SC

Moderator Emeritus
So it looks like our trip to Mongolia and the Nadaam Festival in July 2008 is a go! This is by far the most expensive and pre-planned trip we will ever take, and includes my ultimate luxury--a private guide/driver, which is almost a necessity in the more remote areas there (or so I keep telling my backpacker/frugal self)!

Anyway, after the nightmare trip to Italy with my mom where she fell, was hospitalized and we came home early and got eaten alive on cancellation charges, I'm ready for travel insurance on this trip.

Anyone ever done it? What about evacuation insurance? The tour company is arranging for Donald's dream endeavor--a wrestling match with a Mongolian wrestler during the festival (Nadaam is the Manly Arts festival--archery, horseracing, and wrestling). So if they maim him, I can't really be surprised! But I would like for the back surgery to be done somewhere with better medical facilities!

Any opinions would be helpful! Also, they recommend rabies series on CDC website--I'm good with getting some of the other suggested vaccinations, but rabies, really?

Travel insurance is important to cover the cost of the trip, and especially of airline tickets. Be aware that most policies are completely voided if the State Department issues a traveler's adisory or warning about not visiting any area in your trip. Mongolia is likely OK for next year unless something really weird was to happen.

There are two types of evacuation insurance: Medical and Remains. Medical evacuation insurance varies a bit. Some policies will just evacuate you to a nearest "qualified"

sorry,

"qualified" hospital, whatever that means. If you had a bad accident with significant burns, you might get evacuated to a Chinese hospital that didn't have a full burn unit. This happened to a very unfortunate woman that I read about. Her delayed treatment for burns has resulted in severe scarring and impairment. I like MedJet assistance, that will evacuate you by private plane to the hospital of your chosing. For me, that means I get sent back by private plane to a USA hospital with a fully-qualified neurologic/orthopedic/spine center/burn unit/ICU etc. A great deal of mental comfort for the price.

Watch our for polices that talk about repatriation. They usually mean of your remains, the dead you. You need real medical evacuation insurance.

I don't think you need rabies vaccination unless you are a veterinarian or other long-term resident. It costs at least $500 for the series. Avoid petting or feeding dogs.

Make sure to get Hepatitis A & B, typhoid, meningitis, pneumococcus, tetanus, polio and maybe encephalitis if it is recommended.

A close relative worked as a geologist in the Mongolian Gobi for a year, in the same are where they filmed the Weeping Camel. Beautiful country, very exotic. To get to the Gobi they had a choice of (1) riding a beat up old 4WD through 12 hours of unmarked dirt trails with nothing but pot holes large enough to swallow a camel or (2) taking the local direct Mongolian MIAT flight on Russian Antonov An-24's. They took the 4WD every time as the safer way to arrive.

My fiance visits Mongolia several times a year and travels extensively in-country. She's never had any special vaccinations, but has made sure that her medical evacuation insurance is current (You DON'T want to treat a significant medical problem in country.) I've never been much of a fan of trip insurance... the one time I had a legitimate, the insurer refused to pay and challenged me to sue them.

Good information to have. I never knew they had travelers insurance like that.

JerryO, what does your fiance use for evacuation insurance? MedJet? Any insight into stuff we should see/avoid etc? Is there any suitable gifts for hosts that she would recommend? I'd appreciate any advice! And importantly...will she fly on MIAT?
Soon has me a bit worried as we are scheduled to take two in-country flights. Hmmmm!
Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom