Travel Insurance - Medical

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am interested in what the travelers in this group think of travel insurance. I am most interested in protection against medical expenses, including the need to be medically evacuated back to the USA. I am less interested in insuring against things like loss of luggage or being delayed.

When I travel to out of the way places I just take out medical evacuation insurance. I self insure against trip cancellation and other smaller expenses.

I found this site to give concise comparisons of options..

Compare Travel Insurance From Every Major Company

Good place to start with.

Before we went to the UK for 7 months last year I called Amex for an idea of the costs and was pleasantly surprised how cheap medical insurance was.

However, I called my USA insurer, BCBS, and discovered that we are already covered. I knew we were covered country wide but hadn't realized that we were also covered for international travel. For serious illnesses or injuries their website even showed the closest private hospital with an ER that was in our plan and would accept our insurance card.

Depending on the price of the trip and where I am going I buy travel insurance . The medical is a large part of it but some trips are pricey to begin with so why not spend $200 to save $10,000 if you need to cancel . I have had four claims with travel insurance. Two were sudden deaths right before the trip , One was an expensive ring that was lost while swimming & the last was just recently when my Mom broke her shoulder & had a subdural hematoma while I was on a Canadian cruise .

Depends on where I am going, I usually buy online single trip insurance either via my bank or the airline. The important coverage is on emergency evacuation. I already have global medical coverage. Luggage/air flight cancellation losses don't bother me that much. Despite travelling often, so far had not made a single claim - which I count as a blessing.

It seems my regular insurance is good worldwide and even includes member hospitals overseas. All I really need is medical evacuation insurance which I have purchased.
Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

Back
Top Bottom