Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The tip to keep checking on auto rental prices has saved me some money too! I had no idea that they were so variable. Thank you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I would still use autoslash.com for rentals as it saves you from checking all the time and you do not provide any credit card. I got a 2 week rental on Maui this year (Feb) for $350, ended up with a Jeep for 2 weeks

Old 03-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #23

Just had the irfare on our Vietnam airlines flight in two days time reduced by thirty percent. Paid a $15 fee change but it was well worth it. The savings paid for our next two hotel nights.

Could not believe the first class telephone service and subsequent email communication from this airline. We are travelling in Vietnam at the moment. The customer service would put any other airline or car rental agency to shame. Guess that we are just used to poor CSR service in North America.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm thinking this might be it on our car rental. The rate dropped about $22 from our first reservation. That's more than a 50% drop! I may stop checking now. This one was through Costco.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Checked Hertz car rental (with AAA discount) for July at a convenient downtown Seattle location and drop off at airport. There is a $25 discount if one pays in advance.

I guess I could set the reservation and if the price holds or comes down, pay it in advance closer to the July date. Does anyone have a strategy for this?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #26

I thought about doing this, but the discount was never enough to entice me to lock in the dates. What if you're delayed a day due to weather? Granted July would be unlikely. I'd go ahead and follow your strategy and pay in advance as you get closer to the date.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Checked Hertz car rental (with AAA discount) for July at a convenient downtown Seattle location and drop off at airport. There is a $25 discount if one pays in advance.

I guess I could set the reservation and if the price holds or comes down, pay it in advance closer to the July date. Does anyone have a strategy for this?
What are the cancellation terms..I believe the pay in advance is like a hotel reservation and you can still cancel and get your money back with the cancellation deadline...of course it requires a little more monitoring then a simple price and hold.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What are the cancellation terms..I believe the pay in advance is like a hotel reservation and you can still cancel and get your money back with the cancellation deadline...of course it requires a little more monitoring then a simple price and hold.
I haven't looked at those details. What would concern me is if Hertz had booked too many people and the car type I want is not available. Might work out OK but if they upgrade me to a much larger car I wouldn't want to be so dependent. Also if they are a shuttle away from the airline terminal, we arrive with our luggage and it's a lot harder to backout and go with someone else.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #29

If you need an exact type car, off airport locations often don't have much to choose from.Even at airport locations, I bet we average less then 50% at getting the reserved type car. I usually book the smallest we are comfortable with and end up with something roomier when all is said and done.

Car reservations are so goofy. I bet if you pay in advance they still won't have a car with your name on it sitting there.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #30

Don't always write off airport rentals. One time, I was going to do an off-airport rental for the reduced fees. It turned out that the airport rental option was cheaper, so we went that route. I think the quantity of vehicles available at the airport allowed them to make deeper discounts compared to the limited number of vehicles at the off-airport location as we got closer to our travel dates..
Old 03-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I just got an email from Hyatt about their 3 day flash sale. Knocked $10 off the price of a room this summer. And another $5 or so for joining their loyalty program.

So, more pizza and beer on the trip and fewer stops at Micky D's.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Autoslash.com is a way to track car rentals, but I didn't want to give them my specific car reservation to track (or really any personal information - it's bad enough they read my cookies to figure out my destination and travel dates). I have a general one entered and hope they'll send me an email if there is a better offer than the original eight quotes they sent me - as a flag to check Costco Travel again. Otherwise, I'll just keep checking manually.

We did send our reservation to Autoslash. They rebooked us twice, saving just over $600. We now have a late summer 2 week mid size SUV car rental on the east coast- picking up in VA at the airport and dropping off in Boston at the airport , (same type of vehicle we chose with same company) for $527 including taxes. No prepayment and we can cancel right up to pickup. Might be worth letting them have your email and address. (no credit card needed)
Old 03-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Don't always write off airport rentals. One time, I was going to do an off-airport rental for the reduced fees. It turned out that the airport rental option was cheaper, so we went that route. I think the quantity of vehicles available at the airport allowed them to make deeper discounts compared to the limited number of vehicles at the off-airport location as we got closer to our travel dates..
Yep, airport rentals might be fine. We are going down to San Diego and their airport taxes are not so bad as Seattle's. Plus we have to return the car early on Monday and the off-airport Hertz is closed then. So would be very inconvenient.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I usually get airport rentals if I'm flying. I don't mind paying more for less hassle and time.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I usually get airport rentals if I'm flying. I don't mind paying more for less hassle and time.
We usually do airport rentals too. In Seattle, since we are spending time in the city and won't want a car, it made sense to use the quick transport to the city center and rent the car a few blocks away some time later.

I didn't mean to overemphasize saving a few dollar. But if it works out, fine.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #36

In a lot of cities the airport rental makes the most sense - assuming you are flying into the city. Our exception is Philadelphia. I used to live off the Septa R1 line - so I became very familiar with the excellent train into the city and northern burbs. Now we always arrange our first stop in town to be friends who live near Rittenhouse Square. (When we visit Philly we always have friends and family to crash with.) We're doing that again this summer... Then we pick up a car in center city when we've worn out our welcome with these friends.

San Diego (where I live now) has crappy connections from the airport via public transit... so I'd definitely rent a car at the airport.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #37

Both of my rentals later this month are at the airport. I'm navigating my first trip with a teenage niece and want it to go VERY smoothly! I used the SW portal for one and Chase for the other. Costco was surprisingly more expensive. Though I've checked back a couple of times to make sure mine were still the best deals.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Both of my rentals later this month are at the airport. I'm navigating my first trip with a teenage niece and want it to go VERY smoothly! I used the SW portal for one and Chase for the other. Costco was surprisingly more expensive. Though I've checked back a couple of times to make sure mine were still the best deals.
I just checked Chase through our Chase Sapphire card. Is this what you meant?

Anyway, I see pricing differences of 2x for the same car type. Example, Toyota Corolla or similar at San Diego airport:
Trifty 24.62
Dollar 38.04
Hertz 56.03 (42.09 through the Hertz site with AAA discount)

So the question is, does one go with the lowest price or are there substantial differences in the actual car received? Are there "good quality" dealers or are they hit or miss depending on the local situation?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #39

Yes, the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
I would go with the lowest price, definitely. There is very little difference between the cars, and you generally get the listed car in a given size. I always choose economy, because I don't care at all what I'm driving. Heck, anything newer than 2001 is a major upgrade to my daily driver!
I'd be fine with that Thrifty one, for my two, I've got the Denver one through Alamo and the Phoenix one through one I'd never heard of, Payless (that's the SW portal booked one).

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Sarah. Sounds like good advice. I tend to go with something like the Corolla for the trunk space and maybe a little more crash protection.