Travel spontaneously?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was reading a Clark Howard post on saving money on travel. https://clarkdeals.com/travel/ways-to-save-on-your-next-vacation/

He says find a great deal first (as in, regularly check KAYAK for cheap flights from your chosen airport) and then figure out why you want to go there. That is his #1 travel tip.

I'm wondering if any of you have subscribed to that philosophy? Or how do you figure out where to travel?

omni

Attachments

• clark's #1 travel tip.JPG
    clark's #1 travel tip.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I used that philosophy with college. Went and then tried to figure out why I was there. Apparently playing sports, drinking beer and chasing girls was not the right answer.

We have an (unwritten) list of places we'd like to see.....if we're thinking about going to 'A' but see a great deal on a flight/ship to 'B'...then 'B' it is.

We'd rather spend the cash at ground level than at 30,000 ft.

With 3 dogs we need to plan. Plus a lot of the fun is the planning and anticipation of the trip.

I was reading a Clark Howard post on saving money on travel. https://clarkdeals.com/travel/ways-to-save-on-your-next-vacation/

He says find a great deal first (as in, regularly check KAYAK for cheap flights from your chosen airport) and then figure out why you want to go there. That is his #1 travel tip.

I'm wondering if any of you have subscribed to that philosophy? Or how do you figure out where to travel?

omni

We travel spontaneously many times per year. We use our homes as travel hubs. From Los Angeles we can drive to many destinations such as San Francisco, Napa Valley, Santa Barbara, Monterey, Las Vegas, San Diego, or Lake Tahoe. When hotel deals pop up we sometimes just go. When we are in Switzerland, we sometimes fly off to places like Nice France, Florence or Rome Italy, Munich, Amsterdam, or Copenhagen for a few days when there are last minute hotel, rental car, and airfare deals. Or just drive to places like Lyon France or other small French villages or Stresa Italy or the Lake Cuomo area. Easyjet run a lot of specials so it's not even worth taking trains anymore. It's fast and convenient. In Florida we fly up the East coast or Caribbean Islands for a few days when hotel, rental car, and airfare deals pop up. The only thing we plan are those longer than 4 hours by plane. We have cars, bikes, clothes, and other gear at all our homes so we Less to pack when we go there. Despite that, my wife still manages to fill suitcases up with shoes and clothes.

We did a transatlantic with about 3-4 weeks notice around 2010. They were practically giving them away then--I think it was about $600 for a balcony for 14+ days!

I had to scramble to make all the plans for the next week or so that we were in Europe but it all worked out fine.

Princess has "drop and go" cruises--also last minute. Last October we booked spur of the moment NYC to Quebec City for a great price. I continued to watch the prices and they would bounce back and forth (for the same quality of room) but we lucked out and got a really good price.

With 3 dogs we need to plan. Plus a lot of the fun is the planning and anticipation of the trip.

We don't have dogs, but I heartily agree that a lot of the fun is in the planning. On rare occasions, though, we will do a spur of the moment overnight getaway.

We don't have dogs, but I heartily agree that a lot of the fun is in the planning.

We, and me, especially, are planners. When it comes to travel, I like to have thought about it ahead of time. I find the planning to be more fun that the trip itself, especially when one of my planned for contingencies comes true and my plans bear fruit.

For instance, I always carry a second, usually rarely used, credit card on vacations, in case we are robbed (Never been) or the regular one gets fraud and is canceled. Once, when we were on vacation, our normal, go-to card was canceled due to real fraudulent use while we were on vacation and we found out while trying to use it at a gas station while low on gas! I was so happy when I pulled out the spare (kept hidden in the car) and completed the transaction right there and right then. My wife was proud of me and I saved her from a ruined vacation and I made her happy. I was also happy about that stuff, too!

Mike D.

I have been a Clark Howard devotee since the late 80's. There is no telling how much money that guy has saved us over the years on ultra budget travel. In the old Delta Airlines days, they would throw out very cheap weekend excursions out of Atlanta with one or two days notice.

And spontaneous travel is now easier than ever with online reservations, etc.

After my 1 Princess cruise they would have to pay me to take another one!

After my 1 Princess cruise they would have to pay me to take another one!

We've never been on one, although the Pacific Princess looks nice, what didn't you like?

We do both. We are always ready to take a quick one week AI or a cruise on short notice. Often just a few days.

When we do extended travel-two to three months, we may have flights booked and we will have the first week planned out. After that we usually book two or three days ahead. We have a general idea of where we want to go but we prefer to keep our options open. Could be that we snag a great deal on a last minute cruise or an attractive regional airfare. This winter we cut short our time in the Philippines in favour of going back to Thailand. We never want to be stuck somewhere when we would prefer to be elsewhere. We started this on retirement when we were gadding about for seven months. We liked it so much we kept on doing it.

We do both. We are always ready to take a quick one week AI or a cruise on short notice. Often just a few days.

When we do extended travel-two to three months, we may have flights booked and we will have the first week planned out. After that we usually book two or three days ahead. We have a general idea of where we want to go but we prefer to keep our options open. Could be that we snag a great deal on a last minute cruise or an attractive regional airfare. This winter we cut short our time in the Philippines in favour of going back to Thailand. We never want to be stuck somewhere when we would prefer to be elsewhere. We started this on retirement when we were gadding about for seven months. We liked it so much we kept on doing it.

Brett, you are my travel idol - I really want to get to the point where I can be relaxed enough to do the type of spontaneous travel you’re doing. A few things get in the way for us. First, we are planners and so are most of our good friends, and we have a busy social calendar. Not to say we couldn’t cancel something if an awesome deal came up, but we usually have dinners with friends, tickets to events, etc. planned out a month or two ahead of time.

Secondly we have a dog which does require planning. And thirdly, I’m afraid if we wait and do things on the fly, we won’t get to see some of the things we really want to see. I had originally thought with a six week trip to Greece, we’d be pretty spontaneous, but as I researched it, I realized there were specific places we wanted to be sure to see so I wasn’t comfortable taking a chance that it would just work out on the fly. Maybe someday I’ll get there.

We are definitely willing to pay extra to change plans if we aren’t happy once we go somewhere. One time we chartered a flight to leave a vacation we weren’t enjoying a few days early. It was worth every penny!

It a combo of methodology for us but we generally can't book anything last minute (other than extended weekend trips) due to work commitments.

We obviously have a list of places we're interested in. We'll randomly decide this is the (upcoming) year we're going to do X and we'll start airfare price watching.
Alternatively, we're on a twitter feed of an airfare deal group. We'll watch for places we're interested in going to both new and repeat and try to make a quick decision if we want to take advantage of the deal since the deals generally don't last long. These deals also serve as a foundation for us to do modified searches based on the core itinerary by adding stopovers, adding a leg, etc and see if we can still get a great deal. Alternatively, the LCC's in Europe and Asia will also allow us to make side trips from the core itinerary. We're also not adverse to getting a train pass as they allow for a little bit more spontaneity and randomness for some situations.

We don't plan to a T. We make a list of what we want to see, do, and eat at a destination and roughly slot them into a daily schedule (eg. morning slot, afternoon slot, evening slot). eg. Some things need to be done or are better done on certain days. If things don't play out as expected (eg weather), we can easily move things around. What I try to avoid is excessive planning on the ground but sometimes its unavoidable. But it's a lot more easier to research on the fly these days with the availability of cheap data and free wifi for your cell phone.
Pre-trip, we also mark up Google Maps with places we want to see or eat at so if we get stuck, we can easily see what's around us. But we're also a sucker for a crowd and need to find out what the buzz is about.

A huge part of our travel is photography. We don't just want to go somewhere, we want to go to particular places at the optimum times. That takes planning.

Our spontaneous travel is often a day trip that turns into a mini-vacation. It mostly happens from our Mexico home....where we drive somewhere new (to us) within a few hours, then discover reasons to stay for a few days (many of these spots have no tourism site or are written up in travel books). As others have mentioned, if we had pets this would be impossible.

In the old Delta Airlines days, they would throw out very cheap weekend excursions out of Atlanta with one or two days notice.

They did the same thing when they had a hub at Cincinnati, and we did many quick (up to 5 days IIRC) trips to various European cities. It was fantastic while it lasted.

Mostly we plan.
However one night I was browsing a rental site, and there was a week long 2 bed, 2 bath timeshare house for $250.
I checked the mapquest, saw we could drive there in 8 hours.

3 days later we were there. :)

We don't travel a whole lot, but we use the same concept for local events and day trips. I have a seat filler subscription that usually has 100+ events on it, plus I check Facebook, Groupon and some other lists fairly often to see what pops up.

We usually plan at least some little outing every other day or so 2 -3 months out, initially with local club, park and music events, and then each week we see what pops up on the discount event lists and sometimes switch things out. Today Goldstar had a special so I booked a Sacramento river cruise for us and some friends.

Last edited:
Our spontaneous travel is often a day trip that turns into a mini-vacation. It mostly happens from our Mexico home....where we drive somewhere new (to us) within a few hours, then discover reasons to stay for a few days (many of these spots have no tourism site or are written up in travel books). As others have mentioned, if we had pets this would be impossible.
What do you do about clothes?

We do not have pets or plants.

We purposely purchased a home that allows us to lock and leave for extended periods.

Our HMO takes care of lawn care and snow removal.

We have wonderful neighbours who look after each other's homes when they are vacant.

Years of business travel and schedules forced us to plan our vacation time. Now free of those shackles and those practices we are now travel in a much more independent fashion.

Last edited:
I'm not very good at spur-of-the-moment. I just booked a Hawaii cruise for November, 2019! In this case, my former professional society is meeting in Honolulu so I needed a specific date and the cruise line I use (UnCruise) has small ships and only a few Single rooms. I fly Business Class for long-hauls and sales on Business Class are rare, so I just book whatever seems reasonable. Can't book flights for November, 2019, of course. Similarly, I booked my India/Nepal trip a year ahead of time because it was another small group (14 travelers) and I was going with my Aunt. I also wanted to use miles to get to India, so couldn't wait till the last minute for that.

The advantage, for me, is that by the time I get on the plane, I've paid for the flight and probably the accommodations and any tour or cruise long ago (started using Airbnb and they charge when you book), so any remaining expenses after I get back home are minimal.

We only do carry on. We pack for seven days max. The only constraint is what we can fit in our 20" rollers. For a one week trip or a three month trip.

We use laundromats, laundry services, and wash some out by ourselves.

We try not to take anything that we will not wear often but this can be difficult.
We left home in Jan-cold and snowy. Went to South America. No need for our jackets (albeit light) and jeans. But we did need them on our cruise around the horn. After that it was six weeks in Chile, Panama, Costa Rica. Shorts and shirts. Easy to wash out or get cleaned. Did not wear our jeans and jacket until we boarded the flight home two months or so later.

When we arrived in Panama the only given was the date of a flight home. ALthough that could be fixed with a change fee. Ended up in Panama City, then Bouqete, bus to San Jose, Costa Rica, and two weeks of rental car travel and beach time. Dropped the car back in San Jose, flew to Panama City, and took our scheduled flight home to the cold north.

The more we travel, the more we want to keep our schedules open. We really do not have any time contraints. Out of country medical insurance can be extended with a quick email. Same with our neighbour who checks on our home from time to time. No doubt this may sound nuts to some people but it has been working well for us over the past five years.

Two questions:

1. How does one find out about these deals? I subscribe to the free version of an email service (Scott's something-or-other) that gives airfare deals, as well as a few others, but would be interested in others' tips.

2. How do you know if it's truly a good deal? I suppose price-watching or Google flights works for flights. But I had an experience where I got what I thought was a great rate on a Carribbean AirBnB, then later found out that there were better deals elsewhere. Often for travel I have no clue as to what something "normally" costs so I don't know if an offer is a good deal, a true steal, or what.

Back
Top Bottom