Travel to Central America in January

Taxman59

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I are looking at spending a month in either Costa Rica or Ecuador next January (I know Ecuador isn't in CA, but it is close enough for this discussion). We are looking for a place in a small town on the beach. Simple accommodations are what we need. Any ideas?

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Costa Rica is closer, and you have your choice of beaches on both sides. There are many American expatriates living there. The town of Jaco might be what you want. From Trip Advisor:
The tiny hamlet of Jaco is located in the Pacific Coast province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica. It’s the ultimate hideaway for sun seekers and active travelers, with cinnamon-hued volcanic-sand beaches, lush green rain forest and verdant mountains. Surfers flock here from around the world, but families, and honeymooners also find much to love, thanks to the multitude of beaches, outdoor activities, dining, shopping and nightlife. Explore the Costa Rican rain forest by horseback, learning about the flora and fauna in this impressive eco-system. Take an ATV tour to beaches, remote villages and waterfalls. Try your hand at sport fishing, paragliding, sea kayaking or even bungee jumping. Spend an afternoon at the Pura Vida Gardens and Waterfalls, where you’ll find millions of plants, flowers and orchids from around the world. Zip line through the jungle, play a round of golf or take an aerial tram tour of the rain forest. Expert surfers will want to check out La Roca Loca and Playa Hermosa for a challenge

We spent a month in a condo at Cocoa Beach, Costa Rica. We did many day trips. We liked the Tamarindo area and will go there next home. We also spent another two weeks driving around the country. We liked the beach areas south of San Jose... I think it was Hermosa.

We spent a month in a condo at Cocoa Beach, Costa Rica. We did many day trips. We liked the Tamarindo area and will go there next home. We also spent another two weeks driving around the country. We liked the beach areas south of San Jose... I think it was Hermosa.

We will be going to CR next Feb for a month staying in a town south of San Jose near the Pacific. We were not planning on renting a car. We are OK with buses and other forms of public transportation. Did you have a car for your entire stay?

Did you (or any one on the site) use public transportation or if not, get a sense of how reliable it was?

Thanks

I too am interested in not renting a car for the month (maybe for a short time to tour the countryside), so public transportation would be essential (as well as things being within walking distance).

We rented a car for a month while we were in Cocao Beach. We returned it, the rented another from a differ erect agency that we could drop off at San Jose airport. Had it for two weeks. If we go back we plan to fly into San Jose (instead of Libereria) and bus south to the beach area for a weak or do. We are thinking of visiting friends in Panama and then working our way north.

Back
Top Bottom